collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs VAR Post-Match Thread  (Read 33310 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Aston Villa vs VAR Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »
Just viewed their goal again. Accepting the fact their free-kick decision was incorrect, our defending across the 18 yard line was poor. We had 7 Villa players marking 6 brighton players and yet their goalscorer was unmarked on the back post. Engels and Wes appeared to be marking no-one. Clearly work needed in training on defending free kicks.

Looked very much like zonal marking, which seems to depend on people tracking movement in the box, which they failed to do.  If it was zonal marking then I think we'll have to chalk this one down as a Mings error, as it was in his area where the ball went in from.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2019, 05:13:13 PM »
And it was ridiculously easy for a telegraphed dummy to get our entire side to join in with a quick burst of the hokey cokey that they'd clearly not practiced since the Christmas do.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2019, 05:36:19 PM »
their  goalie has an absolute shocker for the Targett goal

I was at the other side of the ground and wondered how it had gone in
now I know the goalie ducked right under it

reminded me of that Giggs finish in the FA cup against Arsenal in exactly the same spot
Giggs goal of the century my arse Seaman ducks under it

Both massive howlers in my view
but I’m not complaining, much rejoicing was enjoyed with the one that happened at the weekend
I don't agree that their Goalie was at fault. Watching from upper North middle seats once ball was slipped to Targett  he was left in an hopeless position. Faced with a left footer 4 yards away taking an aim he did as well as he could. His only chance was Targett making a mess of it.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2019, 07:05:59 PM »
It seems most would agree that at least 3 of our players (AEG, McGinn & Wesley) had off days and yet we still managed a win against a well drilled Brighton side, when all 11 are on their game we are unplayable.

Apart from jack and arguably Mings I can’t think of anyone who had a good game for us.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #229 on: October 21, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »
It seems most would agree that at least 3 of our players (AEG, McGinn & Wesley) had off days and yet we still managed a win against a well drilled Brighton side, when all 11 are on their game we are unplayable.

Apart from jack and arguably Mings I can’t think of anyone who had a good game for us.

Mings seemed at fault for their goal, tracked the wrong man from what I could see leaving a free header behind him. Wes was very lazy getting back too, Mings was effectively trying to pick up two men at the backpost during the run up to the free kick but Wes was just about back in time to pick up the first guy, leaving Webster all alone at the back. Mings appeared to be giving Wes a right earful after it but was more at fault for me. A ridiculous goal to concede and there has been a few preventable ones let in lately. Poor communication the root cause Id suggest.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »
their  goalie has an absolute shocker for the Targett goal

I was at the other side of the ground and wondered how it had gone in
now I know the goalie ducked right under it

reminded me of that Giggs finish in the FA cup against Arsenal in exactly the same spot
Giggs goal of the century my arse Seaman ducks under it

Both massive howlers in my view
but I’m not complaining, much rejoicing was enjoyed with the one that happened at the weekend
I don't agree that their Goalie was at fault. Watching from upper North middle seats once ball was slipped to Targett  he was left in an hopeless position. Faced with a left footer 4 yards away taking an aim he did as well as he could. His only chance was Targett making a mess of it.

no way that shot would have beat Heaton

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2019, 09:15:09 PM »
Targett getting an 8.8 shows what nonsense those stats are.  I think we can all see why you posted them though.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »
Wow those ratings are all over the place. Targett had a shocker, goal aside. Guilbert wasn’t much better. McGinn extremely quiet by his standards.

Mings is in Garth Crooks’ team of the week which is pushing it and probably more to do with his conduct with England which I don’t disagree with. But it also points out his interception and passing stats were very high as you’d expect, and that rings true in relation to the game I saw.

When you let a team pass through you as easily as we did on Saturday you can’t blame the centre backs for the odd error.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2019, 10:11:03 PM »

Who scored .com match ratings

Grealish 9.3
Targett 8.8
Guilbert 7.8
McGinn 7.8
Heaton 7
Trezeguet 6.8
Nakamba 6.7
Hourihane 6.6
Davis 6.4
Engles 6.4
Mings 6.3
Douglas 6.3
El Ghazi 6.3
Wesley 6.1

Think I’d agree with most of that, Wes seems to be picking up the majority of the flack about his performance but El Ghazi had an absolute stinker, I’d forgotten he was on the pitch when he came off. It says everything that Douglas Luiz scores the same mark and he was only on for 15 odd minutes!!

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2019, 11:37:43 PM »
How many games is that now when the opposition has had somebody sent off?  Is it three or four?

Are Grealish McGinn being targeted or are they just very (very) good at drawing fouls?

Well the Brighton player was yellowed for preventing a quick freekick which is instant yellow now and then going through the back of Grealish so I don't think he "drew" the foul but on his form Saturday, it was the only way he was being stopped.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #235 on: October 22, 2019, 01:09:45 AM »
They use rotation fouling on Jack.
He is very good at bypassing them with change of pace and or direction.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #236 on: October 22, 2019, 10:45:09 AM »
The ref had a decent game really . Nice to see him book Mooy for stopping the freekick being taken when most refs we have had this season wouldnt have bothered and he thought the Conor goal was fine .

Jack was class on Saturday and Heatons save at 1 0 helped us stay in the game.   ELG had one of his mare games so wouldnt be suprised to see him dropped for Luis and play to CM against City unless DS brings Trez in and keeps the same formation .

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
The ref had a decent game really . Nice to see him book Mooy for stopping the freekick being taken when most refs we have had this season wouldnt have bothered and he thought the Conor goal was fine .

Jack was class on Saturday and Heatons save at 1 0 helped us stay in the game.   ELG had one of his mare games so wouldnt be suprised to see him dropped for Luis and play to CM against City unless DS brings Trez in and keeps the same formation .

He can play against Man City can't he?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #238 on: October 22, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »
Yes.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #239 on: October 22, 2019, 12:46:13 PM »
Ta

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal