collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs VAR Post-Match Thread  (Read 33283 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Aston Villa vs VAR Post-Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2019, 07:47:21 AM »
We’ve played so well at times this season and failed to win it’s about time we’ve won while not on top of our game. Two late goals in both halves is very nice, great attitude.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
6 hour drive from Bournemouth. Thanks m27 and a34 :-[
Excellent support. Well done. I hope you didn’t slip out with 5 to go to beat the traffic😊

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2019, 08:37:45 AM »
I thought Brighton were very good for large parts of the game. We just didn’t get tight enough in the middle of the park. They waltzed through us too often. I know Connor is a goal threat but when he’s not he doesn’t do his other job well enough at this level. This is more important when Grealish is quite rightly playing a roaming role. He was excellent throughout today. A last minute winner the like Of which I can’t remember. So sweet.

Yeah, they seemed to get through our lines to easy and able to move it up the pitch in no time.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2019, 08:45:47 AM »
Conor had to be the unluckiest player yesterday. Pulled up for a free kick that wasn't (resulting in a goal) and booked (where was var then?). Had a perfectly good goal chalked off. Had a couple of stinging free kicks well saved by their keeper. Got subbed 1st, when all our midfielders (Jack excepted) struggled to contain  Brighton coming forwards, even when they were down to 10. On another day he could have had 2 or 3 goals from that performance. I thought Mings, Heaton and Jack were our outstanding players yesterday, who performed for the full 90+ minutes. Really happy with the 3 points. Fully p€ssed off with var.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2019, 09:21:55 AM »
I saw the highlights and I still don't know why our goal was disallowed. No way is that a clear and obvious foul. And coaches should be able to challenge, like in NFL. That way we could have challenged the ludicrous free kick that they scored from.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
I saw the highlights and I still don't know why our goal was disallowed. No way is that a clear and obvious foul. And coaches should be able to challenge, like in NFL. That way we could have challenged the ludicrous free kick that they scored from.

We’ll have to presume VAR ref Martin Atkinson was cracking one off the wrist in his portacabin when that free kick was given, either that or his fucking eagle eye let him down.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
Felt we were too loose and open throughout.

The full backs were both poor in both directions, Nkamba didn't offer any protection, Hourihane was anonymous, Wl Ghazi poor, McGinn looked tired and Wesley not effective at all.

Our press was disjointed, our play second half far too pedestrian, we made it too easy for Brighton to play through us and we were fortunate that they only really mustered one good chance second half.

That said, we still ended up creating some very good opportunities. Hourihane and El Ghazi ought to have scored.

Grealish was excellent and it was nice to have  slice of fortune.

Brighton fans seem a bit deluded and I've enjoyed their salty comments.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
Hourihane did score. I don't see why it's fortunate that we won when we scored three good goals and they scored zero.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2019, 10:25:36 AM »
how was Mings? looked poor on MOTD highlights
For me he didn't have one of his best games and looked to be struggling with an injury, on a couple of occasions I thought he was going to have to come off.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »
Marvelous has his worst game for us yesterday.  Not sure he had a touch in the first 20 minutes.

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2019, 10:30:53 AM »
Watching the match yesterday and the Rugby World Cup, reminds me of something that football can learn from rugby, they should bring in the 10 minute sin bin for a second yellow. It seems very unfair that a player and his team are penalised for an offence, that has the same punishment as that of let's say a leg breaking tackle, plus in most cases it spoils the match. Obviously if the player then goes onto get a 3rd yellow, then he is off.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2019, 10:33:20 AM »
Our goal should have stood
It wasn't a free kick
Montoya should have been sent off too

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Watching the match yesterday and the Rugby World Cup, reminds me of something that football can learn from rugby, they should bring in the 10 minute sin bin for a second yellow. It seems very unfair that a player and his team are penalised for an offence, that has the same punishment as that of let's say a leg breaking tackle, plus in most cases it spoils the match. Obviously if the player then goes onto get a 3rd yellow, then he is off.

I don’t agree, Lew. A player who has had a yellow card should have the sense and discipline to know he has to be careful with any subsequent challenges. If he gets a second card it is his own fault and in any case his manager can always substitute him if he thinks he’s at risk.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
Our goal should have stood
It wasn't a free kick
Montoya should have been sent off too

Assuming Montoya was the number 22? If so, yes. The referee conveniently allowed play on which gave him an excuse not to dish out the second yellow.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2019, 10:51:28 AM »
I thought we battled like fuck yesterday for that win,
up against 12 men and another four in a bunker, we could have easily dropped heads and decided it wouldn't be our day.

Yep, first half they carved us open, time and again. For all their fans saltiness, I thought they were a really decent side. Passed it around, quickly and incisively.

The free kick was an absolute joke decision, compounded by the ridiculous booking. Another referee who lets the opposition have four or five whacks at us before a warning, yet the card come immediately out for Conor. For winning the ball as clean as day.

We then score a perfectly good goal. But someone in the bunker isn't letting us have that. Brighton fans celebrate like they've scored again. It's beyond ridiculous.

So to get level before half time and then to keep chipping away, even when we weren't firing on all cylinders is to their huge credit.

Nothing beats the feeling of a last second winner, but can you just imagine if VAR had chalked that off for some unknown reason?

Love my football, but passionately hate VAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal