collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chantwatch  (Read 21893 times)

Offline itmustbe_it is!

Re: Chantwatch
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2019, 06:30:34 PM »
I get his point, I just don't agree with it. I don't see a big difference in reporting - Minority of Aston Villa fans sing racist chant to applaud player. As opposed to - Minority of Aston Villa fans sing racist chant at player.

The intention isn't the problem with the above.

I agree with itmustbe that the abuse Tammy received was worse, but let's not play down the indiscretions of our own idiots because other people have done worse and we're worried we'll be tarred with the same brush.

Again, I understand you and itmustbe aren't trying to defend the chants, but there are no mitigating circumstances for racism, which at the end of the day is what it is. And I don't believe the twats singing this shit are so wet behind the ears that they don't realise it.

Definitely not making any mitigation for the chanting/song, at all. The twats are wrong, they know it, they shouldn't;t do it, and it is right to be reported.

Its just that anyone reading the story in the press would assume it was abuse directed at our player a la Abraham by a minority of Chelsea fans, rather than an unfunny song with racist connotations sung by people who thought they were celebrating him.  I think those two things are a bit different, but not justifiable either way.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2019, 07:27:14 PM »
I get his point, I just don't agree with it. I don't see a big difference in reporting - Minority of Aston Villa fans sing racist chant to applaud player. As opposed to - Minority of Aston Villa fans sing racist chant at player.

The intention isn't the problem with the above.

I agree with itmustbe that the abuse Tammy received was worse, but let's not play down the indiscretions of our own idiots because other people have done worse and we're worried we'll be tarred with the same brush.

Again, I understand you and itmustbe aren't trying to defend the chants, but there are no mitigating circumstances for racism, which at the end of the day is what it is. And I don't believe the twats singing this shit are so wet behind the ears that they don't realise it.

Definitely not making any mitigation for the chanting/song, at all. The twats are wrong, they know it, they shouldn't;t do it, and it is right to be reported.

Its just that anyone reading the story in the press would assume it was abuse directed at our player a la Abraham by a minority of Chelsea fans, rather than an unfunny song with racist connotations sung by people who thought they were celebrating him.  I think those two things are a bit different, but not justifiable either way.
I agree with you.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2019, 07:28:36 PM »
Club stewards on the concourse sounds an excellent idea to me - they'll get to recognise the regulars, and be well equipped to defuse the situation. The "songs" are definitely racist, and definitely unacceptable. I'd be willing to accept they're not malicious, though, and would give the lads at fault a chance to redeem themselves. Any repetition though, and there should be swift action to make them realise it won't be tolerated.

Totally understand folk not wanting to wade in to a potentially volatile situation and or themselves at risk. Massive respect to anyone who does, though, it's absolutely the right thing and done diplomatically would probably be the most effective.

Out of interest - I've not been to that many games in the last few years cos of the distance + working away + young kids  - is getting coked up at football a thing now (for more than the odd person)? Maybe I'm naive but I didn't notice it ~10 years back when i was going regularly ...

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »
Club stewards on the concourse sounds an excellent idea to me - they'll get to recognise the regulars, and be well equipped to defuse the situation. The "songs" are definitely racist, and definitely unacceptable. I'd be willing to accept they're not malicious, though, and would give the lads at fault a chance to redeem themselves. Any repetition though, and there should be swift action to make them realise it won't be tolerated.

Totally understand folk not wanting to wade in to a potentially volatile situation and or themselves at risk. Massive respect to anyone who does, though, it's absolutely the right thing and done diplomatically would probably be the most effective.

Out of interest - I've not been to that many games in the last few years cos of the distance + working away + young kids  - is getting coked up at football a thing now (for more than the odd person)? Maybe I'm naive but I didn't notice it ~10 years back when i was going regularly ...

It's a thing everywhere now I think. Only really noticeable when people who were bellends to begin with do it.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »
I'm probably, just, short of being an "old head", but no way would I be wanting to challenge a group of twenty or thirty people. Good chance of a kicking at worst, and being made to feel very uncomfortable for the rest of the game at best. I don't see what the perpetrators being "kids" has to do with it. You're not going to take on thirty of them unless you're Rambo.

In any case, while I wasn't at Carrow Road, I was at Crewe. And plenty of people older than me were singing the racist song about Konsa. So it isn't just kids that are the problem.

I think these bellends know that what they're singing is offensive and are hoping somebody will challenge them as an excuse to have a go.
I'm honestly not sure they do.  Certanly the Konsa song, they think the reference to his knob size is a compliment.  I suspect there's plenty of them who just don't think at all when it comes to songs like this.

Hopefully the clubs stance will make it pretty clear and if the carry on a few bans will follow.

Weren't Man. United fans signing similar about Lukaku when he first joined? That quickly died down after the media started mentioning it so hopefully the same will happen here for both chants.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2019, 09:17:35 PM »
I think Lukaku asked them to stop iirc.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »
The thing with Konsa, at Crewe when Matty Tatgett was down getting treatment about 2 yards in front of the away end, the song was being song at him and he turned round, smiled and clapped. Maybe as a young man it appeals to his vanity, I don't know.

It's still weird singing about a blokes cock, even without the racial trope.

The Nkamaba song is vile, sung by ****** who whether they have ill intent or not, know exactly the connotations of their song. But it is a minority and in no way reflective of our away support.

The club have reacted well and the support has done similar. We wont hear this shite again.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2019, 09:12:52 AM »
To the old Rafa Benitez tune/Pablo Hernandez tune that Leeds sing:

Wesley Moares
Wesley Moares
Oh Wesley Moares
Oh Wesley Moares
Jacky Grealish
Marvelous Nakamba

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2019, 11:55:42 PM »
Good news.

The father of one of the twats has got in touch with The Punjabi Villains who have agreed to educate the young man.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fan-involved-racist-17198663

Aston Villa fan involved in racist Marvelous Nakamba chant taught valuable lesson by Punjabi Villans

An Aston Villa fan involved in a racist chant about Marvelous Nakamba reached out to a supporters’ group to understand the wider impact the lyrics had

05:30, 5 NOV 2019Updated08:59, 5 NOV 2019
An Aston Villa fan involved in a racist chant about Marvelous Nakamba reached out to a supporters’ group to understand the wider impact the lyrics had

An Aston Villa fan involved in a racist chant about Marvelous Nakamba reached out to a supporters’ group to understand the wider impact the lyrics had.

A small group of fans were filmed on October 5 singing an offensive chant that contained racial slurs after Villa’s 5-1 victory over Norwich.

Punjabi Villans
tweeted about the feeling of hurt it caused them as children of immigrants and offered to educate the people behind the chant.

One father got in touch with the group and said that his son wanted to discuss the issue and learn from his mistake and they met up on October 29.

(Image: Aston Villa FC via Getty Images)
Monnie Bhllar from the supporters’ group said: “We can only support this boy, he has put himself on the line and come forward, the only one out of 20 or so lads.

“We have no desire to chase anyone, the first step has to be from themselves.”

Punjabi Villans started seven years ago with the mission of sharing cultures and having fun at Villa Park.

Member Harjit Badasher, 47 said: “Our view on this is the education has to come first.

The group feel the teenager now knows how much these words can affect an entire community and think he should be allowed at Villa Park
“Let’s explain to them the meaning of the words and how they affect people of colour.”

According to Harjit, the teenager said they first heard the chant a week before in a game against Arsenal.

Harjit said: “The context of the words could be lost, especially on youngsters.

“They heard a song about a player they really loved and just continued it.

“These kids were just emulating other fans without thinking about the meaning of the words.”

In the meeting with the youngster. Punjabi Villans described racism from the point of view of a minority and spoke about the difficult times their parents and grandparents have been through in the UK.

The supporters’ group feel the teenager understood and now knows how much these words can affect an entire community and the discussion ended with handshakes and hugs.

Harjit said: “I see no reason why he shouldn’t be allowed back at Villa Park, he’s shown remorse and gone out of his way to listen to people.

“He’s come back and sent a really nice message saying he was happy with the response and the outcome effect it had.

“Through education they become champions of our message whereby if they hear people doing similar things they’ll call them out.”

Punjabi Villans think football clubs should explore similar methods of education and a softer approach in some instances but admit that some people can’t be helped
It may be intimidating standing near someone chanting racist things but you have to report it, says Harjit.

Punjabi Villans think football clubs should explore similar methods of education and a softer approach in some instances but admit that some people can’t be helped.

“Keyboard warriors are just blatantly wrong there’s no defence for these people,” said Harjit.

“Anonymity online helps people be more out of order in their actions.”

Monnie Bhllar said: “It doesn’t have to be a case of a blanket ban, there should be a level of communication.

“You have to deal with it case by case.”

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2019, 02:28:21 AM »
I bought a Saab from Neil Diamond on eBay.

Swede car online.........

/i'llgetmecoat

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2019, 02:40:37 PM »
Had the pleasure of meeting the Punjabi Villans at the play-off final. Top lads so no surprise they reached out.

Offline Jollys electrics

« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2019, 05:52:55 PM »
Dont want to hear racist chants, but swearing, saying a few non pc things and talking about tits and women is what the working man does at football.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 05:57:34 PM by Jollys electrics »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2019, 05:53:55 PM »
I wouldn't know. I'm not from North Birmingham.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2019, 06:20:16 PM »
Edit: no longer makes sense as the post I was responding to has been deleted.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 10:01:01 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2019, 09:42:19 PM »
Dont want to hear racist chants, but swearing, saying a few non pc things and talking about tits and women is what the working man does at football.

Really,? I go with my sister & son, so err it’s not!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal