collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alex Moreno - shirt stretched  (Read 54192 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: Alex Moreno - shirt stretched
« Reply #540 on: February 08, 2024, 12:10:43 AM »
Not his best game but you could say that about everyone else. I think he was massively let down tonight by the lack of help in front of him. He was blowing out of his backside after about 20 minutes simply because when he went forward no one dropped in behind him and he was being asked to do an impossible job. The lack of any pace at all from Lenglet exposed the left side even more.
That's a fair point was anyone playing left midfield

It's been a problem position all season really.  Tielemans, Zaniolo and McGinn have all been tried there and all looked out of place, and Ramsey hasn't hit the heights of last season on a consistent basis yet. 

It's frustrating as the left side combination of Moreno and Ramsey worked so well at the end of last season, yet they've hardly played together so far and neither are in anywhere near the same form. 

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #541 on: February 08, 2024, 12:13:14 AM »
Not his best game but you could say that about everyone else. I think he was massively let down tonight by the lack of help in front of him. He was blowing out of his backside after about 20 minutes simply because when he went forward no one dropped in behind him and he was being asked to do an impossible job. The lack of any pace at all from Lenglet exposed the left side even more.

McGinn was left of a midfield 3 but it was just too narrow. A huge hole appeared when Moreno went forward and there was nobody helping him. When Ramsey appeared he suddenly had a bit more time because Ramsey dropped in and helped. It wasn’t his best game but you cannot leave your fullback exposed like that. The amount of times he got into a good attacking position and the ball was either not played or went out was also a huge problem.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #542 on: February 08, 2024, 12:20:58 AM »

McGinn was left of a midfield 3 but it was just too narrow. A huge hole appeared when Moreno went forward and there was nobody helping him. When Ramsey appeared he suddenly had a bit more time because Ramsey dropped in and helped. It wasn’t his best game but you cannot leave your fullback exposed like that. The amount of times he got into a good attacking position and the ball was either not played or went out was also a huge problem.

I'm not sure McGinn was meant to pull in that narrow. Bailey seemed unsure of his role too on the far side. We were all over the place.

Moreno looks to be running in treacle to me. This stage last season he was a lot sharper in all of his play. Even tonight a couple of times when he broke free the Chelsea RB got back and blocked his crosses, that didn't happen often last season. Defensively he is hesitant to engage down his flank, I'm wondering is he also missing Mings more than most. Mings had the athleticism to easily cover across the left behind Moreno, let's just say Lenglet struggles with that.

I think we will have to try Ramsey again on Sunday ahead of Moreno. Get McGinn over with Cash.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #543 on: February 08, 2024, 10:34:01 AM »

I'm not sure McGinn was meant to pull in that narrow. Bailey seemed unsure of his role too on the far side. We were all over the place.

Moreno looks to be running in treacle to me. This stage last season he was a lot sharper in all of his play. Even tonight a couple of times when he broke free the Chelsea RB got back and blocked his crosses, that didn't happen often last season. Defensively he is hesitant to engage down his flank, I'm wondering is he also missing Mings more than most. Mings had the athleticism to easily cover across the left behind Moreno, let's just say Lenglet struggles with that.

I think we will have to try Ramsey again on Sunday ahead of Moreno. Get McGinn over with Cash.

That wouldn’t be a bad shout but doing the same as last night is not an option with Lenglet and Carlos playing.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #544 on: February 08, 2024, 11:31:56 AM »

That dynamic pace we're used to seeing certainly seemed to be missing last night.  It's not unusual for pacy players to lose a yard after a big hamstring injury like his, so I hope it's not permanent. 

It's also entirely possible that Gusto is just very, very quick, and made Moreno look ordinary in terms of pace.  I'm very much hoping it's the latter!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #545 on: February 08, 2024, 11:33:21 AM »
He was just as bad against Newcastle though, and wasn't even up against Gordon like Cash was.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #546 on: February 08, 2024, 05:27:43 PM »
I agree - a solid 4-4-2 with Watkins and Rogers pairing up front (bringing on Bailey and / or Diaby later on, to stretch a little wider).

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #547 on: February 08, 2024, 05:30:09 PM »
We do need someone backing him up and tucking in when he runs forward.

As an aside I think starting Rogers now would be bonkers.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #548 on: February 08, 2024, 05:34:29 PM »
We do need someone backing him up and tucking in when he runs forward.

As an aside I think starting Rogers now would be bonkers.
;D ;D ;D  - you may be right re Rogers, but we do need the ball to stick when we send it forwards. I'm sensing that part of the problem without Pau (and to a lesser extent, Konsa) is that when opponents press we are not getting the ball into places where we can build attacks: we're fannyong around at the back with CB who lack pace and passing quality.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 05:36:11 PM by Mister E »

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #549 on: February 08, 2024, 05:37:54 PM »
I agree on that, which is why Pau being back is absolutely vital.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #550 on: March 17, 2024, 10:10:57 PM »
He’s massively struggling at the minute. He’s always been a suspect defensively, but seems like his lost his positional sense a bit - that one he left going across the box was dreadful today. Even going forward, where he can be very good, just isn’t working. Hope he can find it again soon.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #551 on: March 17, 2024, 10:13:48 PM »
Struggles without Ramsey in front of him.

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #552 on: March 17, 2024, 10:31:44 PM »
He’s massively struggling at the minute. He’s always been a suspect defensively, but seems like his lost his positional sense a bit - that one he left going across the box was dreadful today. Even going forward, where he can be very good, just isn’t working. Hope he can find it again soon.
Very poor today, again confidence looks shot, when he receives the ball now his instinct is to move backwards with his left foot and just lay it off. Digne looks far better this season.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #553 on: March 18, 2024, 07:30:06 AM »
Digne is the better player overall. I'd keep both anyway until one of the youngsters is ready to take over. The lad on loan at Plymouth maybe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal