collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Demolition  (Read 16345 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Demolition
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »
I did the Benfica Museum tour, its a fantastic building and very well laid out but Eusabio's shirt aside, its just a bit boring after you've carefully feigned interest in the 100th trophy the Handball team have won.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2019, 12:57:37 PM »
How about a love hotel?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
The thing about the hotel gets brought up every so often and the point is missed every time. It wouldn't be a hotel aimed at tourists, or at Villa supporters. It would be a hotel five minutes from the hub of the national motorway network, ten minutes from the city centre and twenty from the NEC/airport. It's a potential goldmine.

Goldmine or disaster, I know which I'd go for.  There's a Holiday Inn, Travelodge and Premier Inn that aren't far from Villa Park and that share the same characteristics you mention in terms of area, but have the disctinct advantage of not being in Aston.  If I needed to stay in the area for business, I'd either choose one of those, or a hotel actually in the city centre.  There's a good reason there's not a hotel near VP already I would suggest.

Like the Holiday Inn in downtown Nechells or the Travelodge at sunkissed Fort Dunlop?

The Fort Dunlop Travelodge a minute away from the Fort Shopping Park with its shops and restaurants?  Yes, that one.

Or the Travelodge at the Maypole, a minute away from the Druids Heath estate but 10 minutes from the M42 junction 3. I work with sub-contractors all the time who get accommodation booked by their companies and local attractions don’t come into it.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2019, 01:04:19 PM »
I think that whatever is built needs to incorporate more revenue-driving schemes for pre and post match drinking/eating that the stadium.  The few remaining local pubs aren't much of a draw, so get something created that will encourage fans to spend more time and money at the stadium.  And staff the bloody thing properly!

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2019, 01:24:06 PM »
Or the Travel lodge in Perry Barr stuck in between Goals, Halfords, Wickes and Ford garage - where you can actually see into the local council refuse dump from some windows. It has a café below it as they offer nothing but rooms

And it is often sold out

I stop in hotels every week with work and I never stop in city centres, mainly due to parking etc, so I know I would definitely use it - especially if I was a football fan as our ground is so historic

Make it a theme hotel and it could be a real money spinner

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2019, 02:19:56 PM »
Well, if there's a sound economic case for a hotel in Aston in general or Villa Park in particular, then I'm sure somebody will build one.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2019, 02:23:38 PM »
Well I'll trust these two owners to do the right thing a hundred times more than i would trust old Tony Xia.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »
Or the Travel lodge in Perry Barr stuck in between Goals, Halfords, Wickes and Ford garage - where you can actually see into the local council refuse dump from some windows. It has a café below it as they offer nothing but rooms

And it is often sold out

I stop in hotels every week with work and I never stop in city centres, mainly due to parking etc, so I know I would definitely use it - especially if I was a football fan as our ground is so historic

Make it a theme hotel and it could be a real money spinner
When you say money spinner, are you expecting Villa to build and run their own hotel or to build a bespoke hotel for someone like Travelodge?

If the former, I'd worry about bookings as there wouldn't be the weight and web presence of a chain hotel brand for those looking for cheap digs for work etc.

If the latter, then Travel Lodge tend to sign 25 year leases so we would just be buying in a 25 year income stream.  The rent would be based on the number of rooms, but for an operator like Travel Lodge it is nothing like the game changing amounts that some seem to think.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:36:41 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline Risso

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
It would almost certainly have to be in partnership with a chain, and given the location, it would have to be something at the budget end.  Even if it was financially viable, which as I have said I'd have very strong reservations about, I just can't see that it's anything the club would want to get involved with really.  As Chris says, you'd have to give somebody a long lease on it, and that would then restrict what you were able to do with the area in future.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2019, 02:40:00 PM »
It would almost certainly have to be in partnership with a chain, and given the location, it would have to be something at the budget end.  Even if it was financially viable, which as I have said I'd have very strong reservations about, I just can't see that it's anything the club would want to get involved with really.  As Chris says, you'd have to give somebody a long lease on it, and that would then restrict what you were able to do with the area in future.
All for an income of, maybe, £150-300 k per annum (at a very rough guess and depending on no of rooms).  This assumes the club bears the build costs and leases out the site for 25 years. 

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2019, 02:44:09 PM »
I am in awe of the number of experts on the travel/hotel industry we have as Villa fans. I am sure that our billionaire owners will be consulting many of them in the near future.
😇

Offline Nelson Lodge

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
On the assumption that there is no intention to move away from the present ground I just wonder what longer term plans the owners could have in mind. If you are going to demolish all the buildings behind the North Stand back to Witton Road then it makes sense to think about redevelopment of the whole site. Even more so if it was possible to acquire all the land and houses on Nelson Road [my dad was born and grew up at number 48 - no blue plaque though :)]
Didn't something similar happen in Herbert's day with the houses that used to be on Witton Lane?.

Then by moving the pitch and stands away from the pinch point of the junction of Witton Lane and Trinity Road to a more central position on the site there will be more space available allowing for a larger capacity stadium. Could this be done piecemeal over time (like Wolves did?) or go for it like Spurs and their White Hart Lane raze it to ground level and start again.

Biggest obstacles would be the enormous costs involved, planning permission and the problem of the transport infrastructure around the area not being up to the task of moving larger crowds of people. Road jams are bad enough already on match days. 

Offline Risso

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2019, 03:05:14 PM »
I am in awe of the number of experts on the travel/hotel industry we have as Villa fans. I am sure that our billionaire owners will be consulting many of them in the near future.
😇

Before they get ahead of themselves, they might want to find somebody who can advise them on how to send out a plastic membership card inside of 4 months! :)

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2019, 03:11:09 PM »
Did the Real Madrid tour just a couple of weeks ago and had the same thought - why can't we do this?  Admittedly theirs was a trophy-fest from the fifties/sixties until today, but before then it was nothing to what we could boast.  While we are at it, something official to recognise Ron Saunders would be very fitting.
Agree totally Des , It’s strange all the time I was doing their tour I was imagining just how much better ours could be 🙏

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2019, 08:13:35 PM »
Back on the demolition theme. Got this back from the framers today.  Took a while to get around to it but worth it I think

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal