collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:18:54 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread  (Read 169107 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread - 2020
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 10:38:37 AM »
The idea is apparently to get a new generation of kids interested by playing games during school holidays and and showing it on terrestrial TV. If that works then I suppose it can be justified but I am not convinced.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 10:53:58 AM »
I really don't follow that line of reasoning that seemingly ends with getting kids interested in the game as a whole. Is it a belief that primary school aged kids are only interested in things being hit really hard and far, nothing else?

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »
I really don't follow that line of reasoning that seemingly ends with getting kids interested in the game as a whole. Is it a belief that primary school aged kids are only interested in things being hit really hard and far, nothing else?

More that they don’t play it at most schools and TV coverage is all on pay TV so this is, so the theory goes, a way of showcasing the game to an untapped audience in the hope that more will want to start playing.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
I agree, if it's just about introducing kids to cricket via telly the same effect could be achieved by doing a deal with a terrestrial TV station to show England Test matches. Clearly it wouldn't bag the ECB as much money as hopping into bed with Sky, but how much are they now spending on inventing, marketing and staging yet another new format? It's completely unnecessary and even if it's a roaring success with audiences it's not going to help England produce any more Test cricketers. Maybe they really don't care about that.

Offline Chris Smith

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 02:45:36 PM »
I agree, if it's just about introducing kids to cricket via telly the same effect could be achieved by doing a deal with a terrestrial TV station to show England Test matches. Clearly it wouldn't bag the ECB as much money as hopping into bed with Sky, but how much are they now spending on inventing, marketing and staging yet another new format? It's completely unnecessary and even if it's a roaring success with audiences it's not going to help England produce any more Test cricketers. Maybe they really don't care about that.

Test matches are played to a large extent during school term time and will largely only appeal to the already converted due to it taking 5 days.

This is hoped to be the entry level drug for those new to the experience which might get more people playing and watching and then hooked on Class A Test Cricket as they get older.

As I said I am not altogether convinced it will work but if it does then that’s the justification.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 02:53:31 PM »
It's been going long enough now to see; does anyone on here know of anybody that now likes First Class cricket as a result of watching T20 over the last 16 years? I don't, but must admit that I'm aware of a few who think T20's "alright", but Test cricket is "boring".

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2019, 05:00:19 PM »
I understand what they’re trying to do but I don’t understand why it needed to be a new format that won’t be in use anywhere else. They could have added another T20 competition.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:55:21 AM by UK Redsox »

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2019, 05:02:34 PM »

Test matches are played to a large extent during school term time and will largely only appeal to the already converted due to it taking 5 days.

This is hoped to be the entry level drug for those new to the experience which might get more people playing and watching and then hooked on Class A Test Cricket as they get older.

As I said I am not altogether convinced it will work but if it does then that’s the justification.

What’s Class A Test Cricket ?

It’s First Class and List A ;)

The ECB have basically bailed on domestic List A

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
I understand what they’re trying today but I don’t understand why it needed to be a new format that won’t be in use anywhere else. They could have added another T20 competition.

This is what I don't understand. Introduce a new competition perhaps, but a whole new format? It just smacks of a big marketing gimmick. Is Sky really offering so much money for live England cricket that it's cheaper for the ECB to invent a whole new game than just go with a lesser deal from a terrestrial broadcaster? Presumably so. Which is bonkers.

And while I get the idea of these shorter formats being a gateway to the long game, I haven't seen much evidence that it works. Anyway, like many people I got hooked on cricket watching County Championship matches featuring people like Norman Gifford, so I don't buy this idea that kids need sport to be glamorous. Any live sport seen close up can be enough to ignite a spark of interest.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2019, 05:55:41 PM »
I understand what they’re trying today but I don’t understand why it needed to be a new format that won’t be in use anywhere else. They could have added another T20 competition.

This is what I don't understand. Introduce a new competition perhaps, but a whole new format? It just smacks of a big marketing gimmick. Is Sky really offering so much money for live England cricket that it's cheaper for the ECB to invent a whole new game than just go with a lesser deal from a terrestrial broadcaster? Presumably so. Which is bonkers.

And while I get the idea of these shorter formats being a gateway to the long game, I haven't seen much evidence that it works. Anyway, like many people I got hooked on cricket watching County Championship matches featuring people like Norman Gifford, so I don't buy this idea that kids need sport to be glamorous. Any live sport seen close up can be enough to ignite a spark of interest.

Weren't you easily pleased?!!

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »

Weren't you easily pleased?!!

Ha! I guess so! You wouldn't have seen Norman running about in pyjamas with an ad for pork scratchings on his belly. A blast of music to celebrate a leg bye. It was proper cricket back then...

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2019, 07:05:34 PM »
I remember watching 40 over Sunday League* games when he was at Warwick, him and Amiss spending entire innings at slip!

*if ever there was something to resurrect. Kids, cricket, Sunday afternoons.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 02:23:19 PM »
FAO Pears (I now get emails from your lot seeing as I bought a ticket when it pissed down this "Summer"):

Worcestershire County Cricket Club can confirm that Matt Rawnsley has stepped down as Chief Executive and will be leaving the club with immediate effect.

The Board would like to thank Matt for all his hard work at WCCC in the last 20 months and wish him every success in the future.

In the interim, all matters will be handled by the Board, and should be directed to Fanos Hira, WCCC Chairman.

All cricket matters will continue to be handled by the Cricket Steering Group which is Chaired by Paul Pridgeon, WCCC Vice-Chairman.

Further comments will be made in due course.

Offline UK Redsox

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 11:54:13 AM »
Somerset deducted 12 points for next year's Championship for a poor pitch

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 06:56:10 PM »
Bloody Hell, thought that rule only applied to Warwickshire!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal