collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Burnley Pre-Match Thread  (Read 11508 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Aston Villa vs Burnley Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 11:34:36 AM »
Just play him and don't drop anyone, it's not like officials or VAR know the rules.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 11:35:45 AM »
Surely Jack wide will happen at some point. We saw for Wesley's goal against Arsenal that Jack is at his best and most useful getting on the ball in dangerous areas. He's trying to be Xavi, Iniesta and Zidane all in one right now and it's not working.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 11:38:46 AM »
We never lose to Burnley so we are going to thrash them 2-1.

They did us at Villa Park in out last meeting. Depressing day after a depressing humiliation at Southampton and before the even more depressing FA Cup final . Dark days indeed.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
Both Woods and Barnes are big bastards, we're going to have to be awake at the back for 90+ minutes. I wouldn't start Jota, he's too one-paced; Trez is our man for that side of the pitch. SJG behind Big Wes and a midfield of SJM, Trez, Marv and Luiz. Conor off the bench for SJM at some point. Targett and Taylor are much of a muchness, so stick with Taylor.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 12:15:42 PM »

They did us at Villa Park in out last meeting. Depressing day after a depressing humiliation at Southampton and before the even more depressing FA Cup final . Dark days indeed.

I recall them singing 'Arsenal will murder you', it was just before the end of the season (and the cup final)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »

I recall them singing 'Arsenal will murder you', it was just before the end of the season (and the cup final)

Well we fucking showed them didn’t we?

Got to get a win here, it makes sense to target winnable games and this is one of them. I think we will as well. 3.0

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 12:23:46 PM »
I'd swap Hourihane in for El Ghazi.

Heaton

Guilbert         Engels                 Mings        Taylor

Marvelous/Luiz (can't decide who)

McGinn            Grealish

Trezeguet                                  Hourihane

Wesley

Offline Luke8

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2019, 12:29:40 PM »
Surely Jack wide will happen at some point. We saw for Wesley's goal against Arsenal that Jack is at his best and most useful getting on the ball in dangerous areas. He's trying to be Xavi, Iniesta and Zidane all in one right now and it's not working.

I just can’t see it happening. It would take Jack out of his best position, in my opinion, and given our wingers generally play quite wide will almost certainly see him have considerably less of the ball - which is not a tactic I would particular like to see us employ.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2019, 12:42:22 PM »
Ref will again play a major role - they probably see the criticism as Villa attacking them, and they will make us pay.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »

I just can’t see it happening. It would take Jack out of his best position, in my opinion, and given our wingers generally play quite wide will almost certainly see him have considerably less of the ball - which is not a tactic I would particular like to see us employ.

What's he doing with it though? He sees a lot of the ball right now and he looks indecisive as if he has too many options and not enough time. He will adjust to the pace of the league again but in that position it takes time, and in the meanwhile he could be extremely effective as a sort of roaming inside left. If it was a good enough learning curve for Iniesta it's good enough for Jack.

Offline kieron

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2019, 12:56:59 PM »
What's the name of the referee that's going to fuck us over this week then?

Offline Villa75

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2019, 01:16:27 PM »
Nearly 30% don't think we will beat Burnley, at home!?

Can I ask those 30%, who the hell do you think we will beat at home?

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2019, 01:31:33 PM »

Er...is voting for a Villa win obligatory? A sign of your True Faith?

If that's your view of the result then I truly hope you are right!!

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2019, 01:33:09 PM »

Well, that's the question isn't it?

Offline Luke8

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »

What's he doing with it though? He sees a lot of the ball right now and he looks indecisive as if he has too many options and not enough time. He will adjust to the pace of the league again but in that position it takes time, and in the meanwhile he could be extremely effective as a sort of roaming inside left. If it was a good enough learning curve for Iniesta it's good enough for Jack.

I actually think he has improved in the last few games. Certainly in terms of using the ball better and chance creation (was involved in three good chances against West Ham - Wesley’s, Guilbert’s and his own and then his assist and the chance that Trezeguet should have scored against Arsenal).

I understand the logic where players get moved wider to try and give them more time and space on the ball, but I just don’t think Jack needs that at this stage. Also, I am not sure that taking him from that central position and replacing him with, presumably, Hourihane would be of benefit to the team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal