collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brighton 1-3 Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 12042 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Brighton 1-3 Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2019, 09:22:54 AM »
Davis looked sharp on that clip.

Did brilliantly for Hourihanes goal, that was Shane Duffy he turned too not some inexperienced kid. I'd like to see Davis being given more of a chance in the league, can bring our midfielders into the play.

Is Targett sufficiently up to speed yet to take Taylor's spot?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2019, 09:32:26 AM »
Stumbled across this, thought some may find it interesting

http://wearebrighton.com/albiondatabase/the-history-of-brighton-v-aston-villa/

I couldn't make it past the implicit claim that the Charity Shield was more significant than the League. Daft sausages.

It is funny the things you remember that are associated with Villa games. Our 1980 1-0 defeat to Brighton mentioned in that article was on the day I was first told I had to wear glasses as a kid. I remember being far from chuffed all round.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »
Stumbled across this, thought some may find it interesting

http://wearebrighton.com/albiondatabase/the-history-of-brighton-v-aston-villa/

I couldn't make it past the implicit claim that the Charity Shield was more significant than the League. Daft sausages.

It is funny the things you remember that are associated with Villa games. Our 1980 1-0 defeat to Brighton mentioned in that article was on the day I was first told I had to wear glasses as a kid. I remember being far from chuffed all round.

We played them at VP a couple of months before, in October, beat them 4-1 and went top of the table for the first time in years

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2019, 09:59:24 AM »
Extended highlights - plenty of chances. Davies looked wasteful

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2019, 10:34:05 AM »
Davis looked far more lively and useful than Wesley.  Also Targett probably had more attempts on goal in that game than Taylor has had in his entire career.

Offline russon

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »
My take for what it’s worth https://villa398.blogspot.com/

They don’t serve large enough portions of humble pie up here!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
Targett was pants I thought in the first half. Redeemed himself in the second half, albeit more for his getting down the line rather than defending.

From the highlights he did swing in a lovely ball into the box but your comments about his defending are a concern.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2019, 01:10:36 PM »
Targett was pants I thought in the first half. Redeemed himself in the second half, albeit more for his getting down the line rather than defending.

From the highlights he did swing in a lovely ball into the box but your comments about his defending are a concern.

He got done once in the first half but was generally ok and a good attacking thread. It's difficult to go overboard due to the strength of the oppo.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2019, 01:20:26 PM »
From the extended highlights we really should have scored more goals and we looked really wasteful.

Really cannot make up my mind about Trez - gets into decent positions but then either piss weak attempt at goal or a poor cross - maybe a goal will settle him down but at present I cannot see justification for being a starter.

Jota is a must against the static 442 from Burnley

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2019, 01:26:17 PM »
I'd be tempted to put Davis on against Burnley if we're chasing the game - he causes players to come out of position and passes well. Deserved a goal - they will come.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2019, 02:40:06 PM »
Good win for the boy's great day out by the seaside this could be our year still knackered from yesterday's exertions but in the words of a certain someone we go again Saturday bring on Burnley.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2019, 03:04:54 PM »
Just heading out ofBrighton now. Quite literally men against boys. We totally dominated midfield in a way I can’t quite remember seeing in 35 yrs of watching Villa. Thought Luiz, Hourihane, McGinn (fist half) and Jack (2nd) were in complete control - which you’d hope they’d be.

Konsa was good, Hause pretty good I thought although didn’t have a good view of their goal.

Davis was the worry - against a youth team he got loads of ball to feet, and was kind of in the game,  but just didn’t have much end product. Also Trez slightly flattered to deceive.

Wasn't at the game, but David did outmuscle their full band and complete the run and pass into the box that led to our second goal.

Offline King Cropley

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »
Just heading out ofBrighton now. Quite literally men against boys. We totally dominated midfield in a way I can’t quite remember seeing in 35 yrs of watching Villa. Thought Luiz, Hourihane, McGinn (fist half) and Jack (2nd) were in complete control - which you’d hope they’d be.

Konsa was good, Hause pretty good I thought although didn’t have a good view of their goal.

Davis was the worry - against a youth team he got loads of ball to feet, and was kind of in the game,  but just didn’t have much end product. Also Trez slightly flattered to deceive.
                                                                      Pretty much how I saw it.....bit bemused about the Hourihane love-in....as much as I like him, he did as much as I'd expect against poor opposition. SJM was outstanding, ran the show, but again, as you'd expect.....

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2019, 07:59:11 PM »
I went last night it was quite frankly all a bit meh as Brighton quite frankly couldn’t wait to get it out of the way. We did what we needed to, job done and onto Wolves.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2019, 05:29:42 AM »
I'd be tempted to put Davis on against Burnley if we're chasing the game - he causes players to come out of position and passes well. Deserved a goal - they will come.

I thought Davis did well.  I remember thinking mid-game that we don’t really seem to provide him with many clear-cut opportunities, similar to how we are with Wesley, and so both suffer.  They both spend a lot of time coming deep or to the wings to pick up the ball and get involved in play rather than having it delivered into them.  They then get criticised for not being in the box when they’re our only striker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal