collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36635 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #300 on: September 23, 2019, 06:41:26 PM »
I think we're clutching at straws to blame the officials yesterday.  The penalty would have been harsh as he was moving his arm into his body.  Also, I don't think they had a player in our wall, looking at the shots from in front and behind.  Nobody to blame but ourselves and if he didn't want to start with 2 holding midfielders, he almost certainly should have changed it when we began to drop deeper.
Screenshot-20190923-134355-Samsung-Internet" border="0

The way I look at it, Jack, SJM & Marvelous were not part of the wall (which consisted of 4 players)
Then thats the way you want to look at it. But i don't know why when the image above proves otherwise. You also said you don't think it was a pen. Every commentator i've heard disagrees with you. I mean even that Villa hating scrote Danny Murphy said on MOTD "the most clear cut penalty you will ever see" Again you look at it differently to everyone else including neutrals. I'm sure you have your reasons.

The image proves nothing.  Watching the clip, there is a gap between the wall and the 3 players.  I see that as the 3 players not being part of the wall.

Regarding the handball, I see it as ball to hand/arm and the player seemed to be bringing his arm into his body.  It would have been very harsh and didn't appear to be intentional to me.  I liken it to the Snodgrass handball against Neves when we beat Wolves 4-1.  None of us were claiming that one was a penalty although it was more of a shout than yesterdays.
The wall was amateurish and uneven. But it was a wall. The Arsenal player was within 1 metre of our wall. Clear infringement. The officials missed it. The handball was clear.I don't know why your in denial about it but it was a clear handball. My god even Shearer and Murphy agreed it was a blatant penalty. Your wrong on both decisions.We have other issues to sort out like giving away stupid goals but thats a seperate issue.

Edit# i have just had chance to sit down and watch the re-run of the game. Please watch the free kick again. Freeze the picture and remember the rule states that opposition players must not be within 1 metre of the defensive wall. The penalty for breaching this rule is an indirect free kick to the defending team. (I'll give you a clue. There are THREE Arsenal players to look out for) and the one sneaking around the back pushes Nkamba just for good measure.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 07:18:25 PM by The Edge »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #301 on: September 23, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »
I thought John Moss was very good yesterday. Couple of marginal decisions in favour/against both teams but overall it was good performance by the officials.

Second yellow for Maitland Niles was very harsh I thought. Masuaku's second yellow last week was a nonsense. Two big decisions that went in our favour that should have resulted in six points.

It was nonesense, it should have been a straight red.

Jesus.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #302 on: September 23, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »
I havent seen the handball back since yesterday but at the time I didnt think it was a blatant penalty. The incident was nowhere near as cut and dry as the Palace one, were my over riding emotion after that match was that we had been robbed by an appauling decision, my over riding emotion yesterday was that we threw it away by not making the tactical changes needed which in turn lead to stupid individual errors.

Pretty much sums me up too. I was upset yesterday but incandescent after Palace.

Though all 3 goals were from mistakes / poor defending. And our shooting is pretty tame too, notably Trezeguet when it was still 2-1 I think.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »
Sorry to keep bringing up mistakes and VAR, but another issue that I don't think has been mentioned is that when Arsenal took the penalty Aubameyang is clearly in the box.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't have scored, but if were going to use VAR for the minutest of offside decisions why are the obvious errors not being corrected.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »
Sorry to keep bringing up mistakes and VAR, but another issue that I don't think has been mentioned is that when Arsenal took the penalty Aubameyang is clearly in the box.

I'm not saying that they wouldn't have scored, but if were going to use VAR for the minutest of offside decisions why are the obvious errors not being corrected.

I might be miles off, but wasn't there recemtly a retaken penalty using VAR due to the keeper not standing on the goal line ?

UTV
The Doc

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2019, 02:23:01 PM »

I might be miles off, but wasn't there recemtly a retaken penalty using VAR due to the keeper not standing on the goal line ?

UTV
The Doc

This was at the women's world cup (Scotland vs Argentina), but AFAIK, VAR will not be used for small decisions like that.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #306 on: September 26, 2019, 07:48:24 AM »
The use of inflammatory language like ‘surrender’ in the title to this thread, stoking the divisions in our society, is disgusting. Somebody needs to resign or apologise.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal