collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36657 times)

Offline Cliftonville Villlain

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #285 on: September 23, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »
Ten men put three goals past us. A poor Arsenal side at that. A few of our players were out on their feet by 70 mins and Dean couldn't see what every single Villa fan saw (well on these pages anyway) which were to throw on the subs to prevent the now inevitable collapse. But the one thing I took from yesterday was the refereeing. We left behind a league notorious for bad refereeing but it had nothing on what we've had to endure since the start of the season. We dont do ourselves any favours but a penalty shout at the Emirates late on? It's never gonna be given. Not the first time we've fallen victim to rank bad decisions and unfortunately it won't be the last.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #286 on: September 23, 2019, 03:28:34 PM »
I think we're clutching at straws to blame the officials yesterday.  The penalty would have been harsh as he was moving his arm into his body.  Also, I don't think they had a player in our wall, looking at the shots from in front and behind.  Nobody to blame but ourselves and if he didn't want to start with 2 holding midfielders, he almost certainly should have changed it when we began to drop deeper.
Screenshot-20190923-134355-Samsung-Internet" border="0

The way I look at it, Jack, SJM & Marvelous were not part of the wall (which consisted of 4 players)

Offline danno

« Reply #287 on: September 23, 2019, 03:31:50 PM »
The responsibility for this defeat is with Smith and his failure to acknowledge his culpability is disappointing.

I know the successful ones don't get it wrong very often, but when they do... do they often come out and hold there hands up?

e.g. Ferguson blamed grey kits once upon a time. Just for a laugh I typed in football manager "I got it wrong" into a search engine. The three articles that came up were from Craig Levein, Tony Pulis and Potatoe head.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #288 on: September 23, 2019, 03:37:44 PM »
I think we're clutching at straws to blame the officials yesterday.  The penalty would have been harsh as he was moving his arm into his body.  Also, I don't think they had a player in our wall, looking at the shots from in front and behind.  Nobody to blame but ourselves and if he didn't want to start with 2 holding midfielders, he almost certainly should have changed it when we began to drop deeper.

The way I look at it, Jack, SJM & Marvelous were not part of the wall (which consisted of 4 players)
I suggest you dig a bit deeper, can't post other images but there is an Arsenal player behind the wall.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #289 on: September 23, 2019, 03:57:11 PM »

Then thats the way you want to look at it. But i don't know why when the image above proves otherwise. You also said you don't think it was a pen. Every commentator i've heard disagrees with you. I mean even that Villa hating scrote Danny Murphy said on MOTD "the most clear cut penalty you will ever see" Again you look at it differently to everyone else including neutrals. I'm sure you have your reasons.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #290 on: September 23, 2019, 03:58:15 PM »
I thought John Moss was very good yesterday. Couple of marginal decisions in favour/against both teams but overall it was good performance by the officials.

Don't go coming on here being all reasonable and rational, Aftab.
Sorry mate not sure what came over me...may be it was tiredness as I didn’t get hone till 1am last night😊

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #291 on: September 23, 2019, 04:18:47 PM »
I havent seen the handball back since yesterday but at the time I didnt think it was a blatant penalty. The incident was nowhere near as cut and dry as the Palace one, were my over riding emotion after that match was that we had been robbed by an appauling decision, my over riding emotion yesterday was that we threw it away by not making the tactical changes needed which in turn lead to stupid individual errors.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #292 on: September 23, 2019, 05:28:21 PM »
I thought John Moss was very good yesterday. Couple of marginal decisions in favour/against both teams but overall it was good performance by the officials.

Second yellow for Maitland Niles was very harsh I thought. Masuaku's second yellow last week was a nonsense. Two big decisions that went in our favour that should have resulted in six points.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #293 on: September 23, 2019, 05:34:14 PM »

I suggest you dig a bit deeper, can't post other images but there is an Arsenal player behind the wall.

I;ve seen the images on one of the Villa FB pages this morning.  The player behind the wall doesn't interfere with it.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »

I;ve seen the images on one of the Villa FB pages this morning.  The player behind the wall doesn't interfere with it.
He doesn’t have to. Any opposition player within 1 metre of the wall of 3 or more players should be penalised by the award of an indirect free kick to the defending team.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #295 on: September 23, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »
If Alan Shearer and even Danny Murphy say it should have been a penalty,then thats good enough for me

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #296 on: September 23, 2019, 05:48:33 PM »

Then thats the way you want to look at it. But i don't know why when the image above proves otherwise. You also said you don't think it was a pen. Every commentator i've heard disagrees with you. I mean even that Villa hating scrote Danny Murphy said on MOTD "the most clear cut penalty you will ever see" Again you look at it differently to everyone else including neutrals. I'm sure you have your reasons.

The image proves nothing.  Watching the clip, there is a gap between the wall and the 3 players.  I see that as the 3 players not being part of the wall.

Regarding the handball, I see it as ball to hand/arm and the player seemed to be bringing his arm into his body.  It would have been very harsh and didn't appear to be intentional to me.  I liken it to the Snodgrass handball against Neves when we beat Wolves 4-1.  None of us were claiming that one was a penalty although it was more of a shout than yesterdays.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #297 on: September 23, 2019, 05:52:18 PM »

He doesn’t have to. Any opposition player within 1 metre of the wall of 3 or more players should be penalised by the award of an indirect free kick to the defending team.

Again, he appears to be behind the 3, not the wall.  If the ref didn't see it then it's up to Villa's players to ask for a VAR review. 

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #298 on: September 23, 2019, 05:58:48 PM »
Lack of game management is very worrying especially against 10 men when leading on two occasions. I do wonder how long the owners will tolerate this sort of thing.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #299 on: September 23, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »

Again, he appears to be behind the 3, not the wall.  If the ref didn't see it then it's up to Villa's players to ask for a VAR review. 
I'm not that bothered if hes in wall or not he fouled Marvellous. When was it down to the players to make sure if a decision is correct or not? 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal