collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36650 times)

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #270 on: September 23, 2019, 01:42:03 PM »
This thread is so disheartening to read. I can't believe some are talking about Smith possibly needing to go.

I'm not one of those eternally and unreasonably positive people, but I thought we played really well at times yesterday, more than matching a team who will have top 6 ambitions. I really enjoyed some of the football we played at times - little things like Arsenal trying to clear the ball but it coming back to a Villa shirt and us recycling it and probing again. I'm not used to seeing that from Villa at all and I loved it.

Individual mistakes cost us the goals as many have pointed out. That is something that can and most likely will be coached.

Many said they would take 17th this year, even if the squad has the potential for more. I understand a lot of posts where probably written in the immediate, red-misted aftermath of the game but personally I feel that's the sort of thing that the media pick up on and start that inevitable slide to sacking the manager. And then we're back to upheaval and squad re-building. That way probably does lead to relegation. Respectfully, we the fans definitely have a part to play.

Anyway, enough soppyness. We should have won and it's gutting to think on it today.

Offline Richie

« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2019, 01:42:49 PM »
Correct me if i am wrong,but i thought the new rules state that if the ball hits the arm or hand it is a penalty weather it is intentional or not

That's if its an attacking player handling the ball and it leads to a goal.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #272 on: September 23, 2019, 01:45:06 PM »
I think we're clutching at straws to blame the officials yesterday.  The penalty would have been harsh as he was moving his arm into his body.  Also, I don't think they had a player in our wall, looking at the shots from in front and behind.  Nobody to blame but ourselves and if he didn't want to start with 2 holding midfielders, he almost certainly should have changed it when we began to drop deeper.
Screenshot-20190923-134355-Samsung-Internet" border="0

Offline Luke8

« Reply #273 on: September 23, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »
From what McGinn said the players and coaches had a full and frank exchange of views in the dressing room. Which is exactly what you would expect a strong dressing room to do after turning a victory into a defeat against ten men.

Exactly. There is a collective responsibility. Thought we actually started the second half well, so it clearly wasn’t the intention to drop deep and soak up pressure. The players are partly culpable for the fact that happened and also then not having enough composure and quality on the ball that lead to us giving it away cheaply.
The coaching staff needed to react quicker to change things once this had started to happen and the momentum was shifting. 

Hopefully it something they learn from quickly and work to ensure it doesn’t happen going forward.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #274 on: September 23, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »
I won't be calling for Smiths head unless we get relegated and are then in the bottom half of the championship this time next year after 8-10 games. He got us up, after only coming in 7 months before and he's bought some good players this summer for relatively small fees. He just needs to make it gel. I am worried though.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #275 on: September 23, 2019, 02:00:55 PM »
From what McGinn said the players and coaches had a full and frank exchange of views in the dressing room. Which is exactly what you would expect a strong dressing room to do after turning a victory into a defeat against ten men.

Exactly. There is a collective responsibility. Thought we actually started the second half well, so it clearly wasn’t the intention to drop deep and soak up pressure. The players are partly culpable for the fact that happened and also then not having enough composure and quality on the ball that lead to us giving it away cheaply.
The coaching staff needed to react quicker to change things once this had started to happen and the momentum was shifting. 

Hopefully it something they learn from quickly and work to ensure it doesn’t happen going forward.

This is good news and a massive positive and not a negative thing some have tried to spin concerning McGinn's comments yesterday. We have some really good characters and strong personalities and by the sounds of it winners. McGinn and Jack were brilliant yesterday but needed more help as the second half went on. Arsenal started to dominate the midfield and the pressure just built which helped lead to the errors.

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #276 on: September 23, 2019, 02:03:56 PM »
Did not go or have watched the game, but according to Lee Hendrie, Wesley played well in the first half, did not hear his comments about the rest of the game.

He looks a bit half arsed to me (Wesley not Hendrie) for his size I don't think he gets himself stuck in, A couple of times he went up for crosses his feet hardly left the ground.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #277 on: September 23, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
Oh, and another thing, noticed Sideshow Bob MkII waving an imaginary card after he'd been brought down for the penalty. I thought players that did that now were supposed to receive said card?

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #278 on: September 23, 2019, 02:13:06 PM »
I have now read  on a couple of websites that the Arsenal winning goal from the free kick should not have stood .Sounds to me that Moss and his assistants do not even know the rules .As far as i am concerned Villa are just not getting a fair deal from the match officials at the moment

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #279 on: September 23, 2019, 02:16:37 PM »
The thing that continues to worry me is that Smith reacts slowly to make substitutions.
Anyone could see after 70 mintes we'd run out of steam and were inviting too much pressure.
Both wingers and the centre forward should've come off for Davis, Conor and Lansbury at that point to give us more of a chance to keep the ball.
I'm surprised that it took us to be behind before he reacted, given that he's this great tactical coach.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #280 on: September 23, 2019, 02:28:34 PM »
I have now read  on a couple of websites that the Arsenal winning goal from the free kick should not have stood .Sounds to me that Moss and his assistants do not even know the rules .As far as i am concerned Villa are just not getting a fair deal from the match officials at the moment
See earlier post

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #281 on: September 23, 2019, 02:34:40 PM »
I think we're clutching at straws to blame the officials yesterday.  The penalty would have been harsh as he was moving his arm into his body.  Also, I don't think they had a player in our wall, looking at the shots from in front and behind.  Nobody to blame but ourselves and if he didn't want to start with 2 holding midfielders, he almost certainly should have changed it when we began to drop deeper.
Screenshot-20190923-134355-Samsung-Internet" border="0

While I agree that we were at blame for letting Arsenal back into the game, it doesn't excuse the fact that rules were broken.

What actually happened was that Calum chambers was standing just behind our wall and then just blatantly shove's Marvellous out of the wall.

The ball seems to go in the exact place Marvellous was standing. The only person that sees this is Ming's who appeals but nothing is looked at. I don't blame the Ref for not spotting it as I didn't either but isint that why we have VAR?

The penalty would have been harsh but going on the current rules I believe its supposed to be given as one. I don't agree with the current rules on handball but that's how there are seen at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:49:37 PM by mrfuse »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »
Yep there were a couple of decisions but Smith had allowed all the momentum to shift to Arsenal by standing and watching us get torn apart by 10 men from 70 minutes on.
The responsibility for this defeat is with Smith and his failure to acknowledge his culpability is disappointing.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #283 on: September 23, 2019, 02:54:51 PM »
We went in front, we lost a lead and lost a game in the last 10 minutes that we should have won.  It is what Villa do.  No need to panic.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #284 on: September 23, 2019, 03:01:36 PM »
I thought we played very well until the pen and equaliser and then sadly after those moments we did not and let them back into a game that should of been out of their reach.

UTV
The Doc

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal