collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by cdward
[Today at 03:31:31 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36633 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2019, 07:34:36 PM »
In parts some of our best play all season

We were not playing Rotherham so some of the comments above totally unfair. 110% by each and every one of our gang

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2019, 07:37:06 PM »
Insert "this is fine" fire cartoon meme for Drummond.

Haha, you're so funny.

It's not fine. It's not great at all but you'd think we'd been relegated and disgraced ourselves the way people react.

Well, we have just gone into the second half one up against ten men, only to repeat the mistake we last made six days ago, and get beaten 3-2 when the correct subs to be made could by spotted by a one eyed man on a galloping horse.

It's not humiliation, no, but it is incredibly frustrating, and it's hardly surprising people are reacting angrily half an hour after it's finished, is it?

We got into that position to then lose it. We didn't do a Watford.

Of course it's frustrating but don't start questioning him already. Please.

No, you're right, we didn't lose 8-0, that would have been way more, but we managed to turn 3 points into none by way of some poor management. It isn't surprising people are questioning the manager's handling of the game as a result.

It's not the end of the world, but there's going to be immense frustration.

It's the questioning of him overall I've an issue with.

Of course we could have done more. I also think the players need to wise up too. It's not all down to the manager. Perhaps he's letting them learn.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2019, 07:38:39 PM »
In parts some of our best play all season

We were not playing Rotherham so some of the comments above totally unfair. 110% by each and every one of our gang

Yes it was. With 11 or 10  for a good hour or more we were playing well. A world away from Palace, where we were flat.

I feel positive that we can continue to compete in this league for the first time.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2019, 07:40:16 PM »
Corralling my thoughts walking back up the Holloway Road.

The first is the bad; the naivety that was the last 20 minutes. For me we needed to sacrifice the wide options quicker and bring in more central midfielders to try and stop them running through us.

Having a man advantage is fine, unless you're sacrificing territory and possession in which case it makes no difference.

All three goals were very poor. Engles in the build up to giving the free kick away for the 3rd, Mings no clearing his lines for the 2nd and just letting their player drive through us for the 1st. All very avoidable.

We've thrown it away, all 3 points.

But, I also felt we played well for good chunks. We looked threatening, probably should have scored more. Grealish needs to get on the ball and drive more, as when he did, he cut them to ribbons.

There's plenty there, but I feel our naivety is working against us at the moment. I didnt expect anything here today, but I leave, hugely irritated that we didnt win.

A good summary, Ads. We played well in the first half and stayed with them in an open game far better than I’d expected. We were good value for the lead at both 1-0 and 2-1.

That’s part of what makes it so annoying, all that graft and decent football for nothing.

But yeah when I calm down a bit I’m sure I’ll feel better, because there was undoubtedly some good football from us.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2019, 07:44:49 PM »
SJM

"That is two weeks in a row that teams down to 10 men have affected us badly. We have addressed it in the dressing room.

"I don't know if it is a lack of belief or tiredness, which it shouldn't be. We should be creating the chances but we weren't.

"We showed we are dangerous and scored a good goal, concede one and then show it again. But we got deeper and deeper and you can't do that. It is game management. It has cost us dearly this season.

"When you force pressure on yourself you get punished. We need to capitalise when things go for us in the game.

Offline mike

« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2019, 07:45:37 PM »
Why wasn't Douglas Luis on the bench? I would have thought he would have been ideal to bring on.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2019, 07:46:28 PM »
Thought we were desperately poor early on. AEG failing to track the full back in the first min should have led to an Arsenal goal. As expected, they were as nervous as we were and first goal was going to be crucial. Credit El Ghazi for the cross and McGinn for making the run, untracked by Ghendouzi. Thought Maitland Niles second yellow was harsh but he shouldnt have been diving in like that when booked already (good run from AEG drew the first yellow).
You would think after Monday night, we would be a lot better off for the experience of playing with an extra man. Especially against an Arsenal midfield badly lacking mobility (Xhaka and Ceballos were hopeless). Smith's go to attacking change bringing Elmo on the right didnt have the desired effect to put it mildly. But the crucial subs were a few minutes later, Emery, possibly facing the sack,  went for a double change in midfield and immediately Arsenal took charge, Ghendouzi hit the post and it seemed they had the extra man. Villa at sea on the pitch and on the sideline. Penalty was harsh enough I thought, Engels had little option with the ball, Trez hid from the pass, good run but wasnt much contact I thought. Grealish finally produced a moment of quality a few minutes later but we never seemed comfortable even at 1-2. Again Smith badly found wanting. Diabolical second goal conceded, AEG not tracking the run (trademark), Mings not clearing his lines, Taylor glued to the spot. Third was brutal too, shot wasnt even in corner, poor wall and Grealish poor again. Bit unlucky not to get a penalty from Hourihane's shot but we didnt deserve anything.

Heaton 5- needs to take a share of the blame for the hologram of a wall for the winner
Guilbert 6 - bit lightweight but his pace gives us options, needs to use ball better and his crosses were both unnecessary and predictable
Engels 6 - our best player for most of the game but at fault arguably for two goals
Mings 7 - dominant for most of it but crazy decision to head towards Taylor cost us a goal
Taylor 5 - thought he was solid enough for most of the game, after second goal went in he lost the plot
Nakamba 6 - solid enough and looks a decent addition, didnt do enough to keep us playing with an extra man though
McGinn 7 - deserved the goal and a danger throughout but not managing his energy properly nor contributing enough to keeping the ball
Grealish 5 - provided the best moment of quality in the game but that aside his performance was unacceptable, he should be thriving against 10 men but rarely took responsibility in or out of possession. question mark over captaincy for me
AEG 5 - like Grealish in that a single assist cant paper over the cracks of his performance, without the ball a liability as proved for the second goal and numerous poor decisions with it. Frustrating as clearly has talent
Trez 5 - worked hard without the ball but precious little quality with it. His pace is useful but a very limited player Im afraid. Poor for the first goal.
Wesley 5 - The goal added about 2 marks to his score, really poor in general play against a pair of centre backs that have been in poor form. Like most was hoping he would have been taken on at half time.

Elmo 4 - horrible but not his fault, reminds me of McLeish playing Hutton right wing v Spurs
Hourihane was lively when he came in, Lansbury seemed to be brought on at left wing!

Smith 3 - Another Dean Smith tactical horror show Im afraid. We have had 80-90mins in the last two games with an extra man and been genuinely clueless. Subs and timing of them a huge problem now.

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
We all know it's a learning process but we don't seem to be learning nearly quick enough. To be twice leading against 10 men for over half the match and still manage to lose is inexcusable. Goals was always going to be our problem but folding like this is even more alarming. Game management seems to be lacking. Worrying times ahead I fear.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2019, 07:47:02 PM »
Disappointed today, by the manner of the defeat (2 goals conceded in last 10 mins), but more worryingly by the apparent lack of learning that has taken place since the opening day of the season. I wouldn't have started with 2 wingers today but it was working up until the point Trez was substituted. That's when our problems were exposed. Instead of shoring up the midfield with hungry midfielders in Conor and Henri wanting to force their way into the team we continued with 433 and Elmo. Waiting until we'd conceded 3 was too late for these players and the team. I love Deano but he needs to cop on and improve his in-game management and he needs to start showing flexibility in his formation. His coaches need to have a strong word with him and make themselves heard, if they're thinking along these lines also. Losing to the Arses won't relegate us, but we missed an opportunity, mainly down to management decisions.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #159 on: September 22, 2019, 07:47:13 PM »
SJM

"That is two weeks in a row that teams down to 10 men have affected us badly. We have addressed it in the dressing room.

"I don't know if it is a lack of belief or tiredness, which it shouldn't be. We should be creating the chances but we weren't.

"We showed we are dangerous and scored a good goal, concede one and then show it again. But we got deeper and deeper and you can't do that. It is game management. It has cost us dearly this season.

"When you force pressure on yourself you get punished. We need to capitalise when things go for us in the game.

Sounds like some strong words and ideas being passed around. Good. There's a problem with fear.

As an aside, Elmo's wife and two children were stood near to me. Utterly adorable little girl with her teddy going barmy when her dad came on.

Online wince

« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2019, 07:48:45 PM »
I was not able to watch or listen to this but it’s too soon to be saying relegation scrap. We need to adapt to this league and to be fair despite that run last year we hardly ripped the championship in half to get up. New team, very naive manager at moment but we cannot keep looking for the new messiah by changing managers. Yes we were wasteful but we have a hell of a lot to learn in this league as the complacency of being Aston Villa and expecting to be in the premier league needs rethinking. Keep the faith and it’s a long way from Tim nice but dims Leicester debacle. It will click it just needs time and luck

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2019, 07:49:11 PM »
At this rate Mr Terry will be the Manager by the next international break.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »
SJM

As an aside, Elmo's wife and two children were stood near to me. Utterly adorable little girl with her teddy going barmy when her dad came on.

Ffs, even his own child could see that it was the wrong sub, sort it out Deano.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »
It’s the hope that kills you.

Losing 3-2 away to Arsenal is not generally relegation form. We scored 2 good goals.

I think maybe 433 away at Arsenal wasn’t the best idea, and I’m sure Dean is now fully aware of this.

I have faith.

Thats the worst Arsenal side I can recall in over 25 years. They are a nothing team, like most in this division, with their fans on the backs and the manager on the verge of getting fired I suspect.

1-0 up with an extra man for over 50 mins and to lose 3-2 is completely unacceptable.

Same Monday night, a man up for over 30 mins against a very average West Ham side at home and failing to win is extremely poor.

Those 5 additional points could prove very costly later in the season.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »
At this rate Mr Terry will be the Manager by the next international break.

Nonsense.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal