collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 36701 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2019, 07:00:08 PM »
Insert "this is fine" fire cartoon meme for Drummond.

Haha, you're so funny.

It's not fine. It's not great at all but you'd think we'd been relegated and disgraced ourselves the way people react.

Well, we have just gone into the second half one up against ten men, only to repeat the mistake we last made six days ago, and get beaten 3-2 when the correct subs to be made could by spotted by a one eyed man on a galloping horse.

It's not humiliation, no, but it is incredibly frustrating, and it's hardly surprising people are reacting angrily half an hour after it's finished, is it?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2019, 07:01:01 PM »

Haha, you're so funny.

It's not fine. It's not great at all but you'd think we'd been relegated and disgraced ourselves the way people react.

I don't think we disgraced ourselves in the first five games, but today? That was pretty pathetic. We may be fortunate that we only have a short turnaround before our next game. Hopefully get that out of our system.

We will probably have the lead against a team that is better than us again at some point this season. My concern is that I have seen nothing to suggest we wouldn't lose again. Smith doesn't seem to have learned from the Tottenham game and that's a worry.

Offline villabear

« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2019, 07:01:24 PM »
Haven’t read the other comments so apologies. 2-1 up. Too naive, just that.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2019, 07:02:15 PM »
He's not inexperienced though is he.  OK it's his first Premier League season, but "replace a tired player" is hardly something you'd need to be Guardiola to know.
If it's not inexperience then he either panicked or didn't know what to do.  None of those is palatable.
I think he froze, there really is no other explanation.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »
We were all saying to change the team and formation even before they got the penalty.

Wesley scored,  but didn't chase or close down at all letting their defenders just run out of defence.

Luiz ran yards and yards on more than one occasion and we end up fouling either in the area or about 20 yards out. They fouled us 50 yards away when necessary.

There was no magic tactical change from Arsenal. They just went gung ho and our game management was appalling. Players making awful mistakes like Mings for the second and the management doing nothing to bolster the midfield. We could easily have pegged them back with a bit of composure or playing the ball into the huge space between the keeper and their defence, and a change of players.

Yes, we played well for an hour or so, but 2-1 up against 10 men, that was just not good enough.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2019, 07:03:10 PM »
Really over the top reactions.

We spent all the second half against 10 men, the 10 men did us 3-1 in that half, what reaction are you expecting?

and against a shocking and often bottling team such as Arsenal

If we'd have won or even drawn, with the same performance, the reactions would be 180 degree different.

A draw, against a team down to 10 men for an hour, who were also behind would still have been a very poor result.

Not trying to be over picky, but wasn't he sen't off on the stroke of half time?
I think we just need to calm down. As I put in the match thread this isn’t a shock, we’ve lost these sort of games for years. We’re 4 points off 6th having played spurs & arsenal away and Everton & West Ham at home.

Wow.

That's marvellous spin.

Firstly, we're not four points off 6th, we're 4 points off 12th, and two places off the bottom.

4 points off twelve then. Does it matter? We aren’t exactly cut a drift are we?

No we're not, but we're also not hovering around the top six, either.

Come on, no one in their right mind expected the club that got in to the play offs after a late season run to be around the top 6 did they? We need to consolidate and stay in the division this season. By any means necessary and it won't be done by questioning everything about the team and management when we lose tight games. There's a time to do that and it isn't after 6 games when you are fighting hard for everything.

No, we didn't, and I didn't suggest we should be - i was responding to the erroneous assertion that we're 4 points off 6th.

By being a dick

Oh, put your knickers back on and calm down - where's the dickishness in my reply? I pointed out you were factually incorrect and that we were two places from the bottom.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2019, 07:03:17 PM »
We go on the backfoot whilst in the lead.
Instead of going for the jugular. Poor management.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2019, 07:04:42 PM »
Chill, people. 32 games to go. Next 3 are eminently winnable. We go again, you bunch of sugarbags.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »

Haha, you're so funny.

Well, we have just gone into the second half one up against ten men, only to repeat the mistake we last made six days ago, and get beaten 3-2 when the correct subs to be made could by spotted by a one eyed man on a galloping horse.

It's not humiliation, no, but it is incredibly frustrating, and it's hardly surprising people are reacting angrily half an hour after it's finished, is it?

We got into that position to then lose it. We didn't do a Watford.

Of course it's frustrating but don't start questioning him already. Please.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2019, 07:04:53 PM »
He's not inexperienced though is he.  OK it's his first Premier League season, but "replace a tired player" is hardly something you'd need to be Guardiola to know.
If it's not inexperience then he either panicked or didn't know what to do.  None of those is palatable.
I think he froze, there really is no other explanation.

It felt a bit like Spurs. After that match he said the pressure was intense, and it was inevitable they'd win etc etc, and it was almost as if he'd just stood there and watched it unfold, as if it were inevitable.

They're both good sides, but there's something about that that worries me.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »

Haha, you're so funny.

Very frustrating, a win today would have given us a massive boost in confidence.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2019, 07:05:05 PM »
Oh, put your knickers back on and calm down
Classic Monkfish.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
That felt worryingly like the Leicester 15/16 game. Played well, things appeared to be clicking but pissed it away, mainly through tactical ineptitude.

Absolutely nothing like Sherwood, a manager with no pedigree, who had proven nothing at the club, who was a proven bullshitter, who helped harness division in the dressing room, throwing on an extra attacking player when we were at Leicester and falling apart.

This is the over the top crap that I am talking about.
Comparing Tim Sherwood to Dean Smith?

Here's a clue, one of them will never manage again. Take a guess who it is and for why.

The comparison is that we were on top but a poor substitution that broke our shape messed us up.

On top of that our form until that match wasn't too dissimilar to our form so far this season. All the truly pathetic stuff from Sherwood only really started after that and I wouldn't expect Smith to react in a remotely similar way, which is why he's a better man.

Smith needs to learn from this, he can't be bringing Elmo on as a winger, it just doesn't work and he needs to be more proactive with changes when someone on the opposite team is getting on top of us like Guendouzi started to.

richtheholtender

« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2019, 07:05:36 PM »
Really over the top reactions.

We spent all the second half against 10 men, the 10 men did us 3-1 in that half, what reaction are you expecting?

and against a shocking and often bottling team such as Arsenal

If we'd have won or even drawn, with the same performance, the reactions would be 180 degree different.

A draw, against a team down to 10 men for an hour, who were also behind would still have been a very poor result.

Not trying to be over picky, but wasn't he sen't off on the stroke of half time?
I think we just need to calm down. As I put in the match thread this isn’t a shock, we’ve lost these sort of games for years. We’re 4 points off 6th having played spurs & arsenal away and Everton & West Ham at home.

Wow.

That's marvellous spin.

Firstly, we're not four points off 6th, we're 4 points off 12th, and two places off the bottom.

4 points off twelve then. Does it matter? We aren’t exactly cut a drift are we?

No we're not, but we're also not hovering around the top six, either.

Come on, no one in their right mind expected the club that got in to the play offs after a late season run to be around the top 6 did they? We need to consolidate and stay in the division this season. By any means necessary and it won't be done by questioning everything about the team and management when we lose tight games. There's a time to do that and it isn't after 6 games when you are fighting hard for everything.

No, we didn't, and I didn't suggest we should be - i was responding to the erroneous assertion that we're 4 points off 6th.

By being a dick

Oh, put your knickers back on and calm down - where's the dickishness in my reply? I pointed out you were factually incorrect and that we were two places from the bottom.

“Calm down” from the gent who is crapping himself after 6 games and a 3-2 defeat away at Arsenal. Genius.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »

Haha, you're so funny.

We got into that position to then lose it. We didn't do a Watford.

Of course it's frustrating but don't start questioning him already. Please.

Smith has had a lot of praise so far in his Villa career and rightly so. However, you have to question him and the players today. They royally fucked it up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal