collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread  (Read 12151 times)

Offline alan_clarke

Re: Arsenal v Aston Villa Post-Surrender Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 22, 2019, 10:53:04 PM »
DS not blameless today, but if we had avoided a couple of individual errors for their first two goals and had a more favourable pen decision at the end, itís a different story.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #211 on: September 22, 2019, 10:58:36 PM »
Piss poor penalty decision. Should have been, without question.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #212 on: September 22, 2019, 10:59:19 PM »
Watching Jack jump out of the way on the free kick in the wall....bad stuff.

Some effort from our captain alright

Heaton takes responsibility for the wall though, seemed badly set up.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #213 on: September 22, 2019, 11:00:37 PM »
Just saw on MOTD the VAR-not-given penalty. When even Smurphy says it was a blatant pen you just know we've been robbed of a probable point by poor officiating again.

Straws, clutching and all that but even so...

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2020
« Reply #214 on: September 22, 2019, 11:06:17 PM »
Just home, still seething. Will we ever f*cking learn? Forget that handball, it shouldnít have even mattered, we should have put the game to bed before then but we threw it into reverse after going ahead. In my opinion, we lack mental strength and physical fitness, and that needs addressing as a matter of urgency.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2019, 11:08:53 PM »
DS not blameless today, but if we had avoided a couple of individual errors for their first two goals and had a more favourable pen decision at the end, itís a different story.
Exactly. Pant wetters please take note. All this talk of game management and formations ignores this. Engles hasn't put a foot wrong all season but 2 goals came from his poor distribution and decision making and the other from a piss poor header from Mings. Couple all that with the ref and var missing a blatant penalty and the result could've been so so different. Those ripping into Dean Smith at this early stage are being a bit harsh imo. The fickle lable will be coming our way again soon.

Offline Flin5tone

« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2019, 11:14:41 PM »
I'm hearing from a reliable source certain players are getting a little frustrated with DS, one being Mcginn and his post match interview would confirm this.

Somehthing don't feel right

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2019, 11:16:24 PM »
Exactly. Pant wetters please take note. All this talk of game management and formations ignores this. Engles hasn't put a foot wrong all season but 2 goals came from his poor distribution and decision making and the other from a piss poor header from Mings. Couple all that with the ref and var missing a blatant penalty and the result could've been so so different. Those ripping into Dean Smith at this early stage are being a bit harsh imo. The fickle lable will be coming our way again soon.

Thatís fine, but the last two games v 10 men have given us 1 point, errors v Bournemouth and whatever else you want you want to throw in all equal the same points as we have now. We have thrown away points, not bad luck, us Villa players and management. And no I donít want him sacked and if you call me fickle because we have thrown away points, thatís ok. I really hope we donít need those points at the end of the season.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2019, 11:23:22 PM »

I think it is collective responsibility though. Iím sure Dean didnít say at half time ďgive it ten minutes then drop 20 yards deeper and start being sloppy with the ballĒ but given it happened you would then hope he does something to rectify it.

And yes, if you look at the goals in isolation, you can put them down to poor individual mistakes/decisions, but I reckon that is far more likely to happen when you are under pretty constant pressure from the opposition.

I think itís acceptable to expect the players and coaching team between them to manage the favourable situation they had got themselves into better than they did.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2019, 11:23:23 PM »
I've only just seen the penalty shout and while we may not have deserved it, it's fucking unbelievable it wasn't given by the ref let alone the VAR clown.  They really are making a huge fucking mess of VAR.  Cardiff were on the wrong end of a number of very bad decisions last season and we seem to be the new whipping boys.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2019, 11:25:29 PM »
I'm hearing from a reliable source certain players are getting a little frustrated with DS, one being Mcginn and his post match interview would confirm this.

Somehthing don't feel right

Iíd be staggered if that was the case.

Where can I find the McGinn interview please?

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:25 PM »
His comment about McGinn was a bit odd.

(Paraphrasing)

Interviewer: John McGinn says the team needs to be more streetwise
Smith: I think he's quite streetwise enough.

Eh? What does that mean? Sounds like something my dad would say when I was in trouble.

Offline Flin5tone

« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »
McGinn "That is two weeks in a row that teams down to 10 men have affected us badly. We have addressed it in the dressing room.

"I don't know if it is a lack of belief or tiredness, which it shouldn't be. We should be creating the chances but we weren't.

"We showed we are dangerous and scored a good goal, concede one and then show it again. But we got deeper and deeper and you can't do that. It is game management. It has cost us dearly this season.

"When you force pressure on yourself you get punished. We need to capitalise when things go for us in the game.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #223 on: September 22, 2019, 11:30:13 PM »
Just seen the blatant pen we were not given today Yet another referee who seems to have something against Aston Villa it seems .Jonathan Moss was the referee against Spurs in the League Cup when Helenius had his shorts pulled down by a spurs defender and Moss somehow played on. He was also the referee when we lost to Arsenal in the Cup final Ok i know we were awful that day but near the end of the game there was at least one blatant pen he never gave us

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2020
« Reply #224 on: September 22, 2019, 11:32:01 PM »
The issues are there for all to see. If we canít fix them then weíll continue to get shafted, itís not rocket science really.