collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The media love in with Coventry city  (Read 828 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

The media love in with Coventry city
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:34:16 AM »
Horrible tin pot club. I don't have one iota of pity for them. Such a great club that in the mid 70's the used to vie with Burnley for the smallest Div 1 gates. A team that cheated to stay up, a club where their away pub was the first one that I ever had to pay in the mercers Arms, a million miles from the station, villa haters when we couldn't give a flying about them

Offline Damo70

Re: The media love in with Coventry city
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 05:08:50 PM »
I didn't really give a flying toss about them when they were in the same league as us so I am not about to start caring now. I was quite pleased for them when they won the FA Cup (I had spent that morning in Coventry helping my uncle do a haulage run) and I found it very entertaining when we gave them a two goal lead and then relegated them. Their current 'Bromance' with Small Heath amuses me. They don't like us, I don't care.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 11:44:31 PM »
I can't say I've noticed any particular media love-in. They are, and have always been, an irrelevance. Even when Jimmy Hill was on telly every week I can't remember them being discussed very often.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:45:54 AM »
Jimmy Hill wanted to call them Coventry Talbot at one point when they were sponsored by the car company. To be fair he came up with a great idea for shirt advertising back in the day when teams weren't allowed to wear their sponsored shirts if the highlights were being shown on TV. Instead of having Talbot on their shirts they had a big 3-D style letter T. Their change shirt to comply with the rules was the same but with the big 3-D letter T blanked out. It turned out that a big blanked out capital T still looked very much like a big capital T.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:56:50 PM »
Do we need two threads on this lot? 

Maybe have a new one when they actually go belly up.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 07:11:33 PM »
Jimmy Hill wanted to call them Coventry Talbot at one point when they were sponsored by the car company. To be fair he came up with a great idea for shirt advertising back in the day when teams weren't allowed to wear their sponsored shirts if the highlights were being shown on TV. Instead of having Talbot on their shirts they had a big 3-D style letter T. Their change shirt to comply with the rules was the same but with the big 3-D letter T blanked out. It turned out that a big blanked out capital T still looked very much like a big capital T.

Jimmy Hill once rode a horse on to the pitch at Highfield Road before the kick off, dressed in his full fox hunting kit. Yampy

Offline luke:lamf

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 07:13:37 PM »
Bloody Coventry-centric national media.