collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Games Moved for TV by brentastonb6
[Today at 12:16:39 AM]

Re: Derby Incident - Drink Driving by Hopadop
[Today at 12:08:53 AM]

Re: Villa v Brighton pre-match thread by Vill I An
[October 17, 2019, 11:36:40 PM]

Re: Dean Saunders by pauliewalnuts
[October 17, 2019, 11:25:51 PM]

Re: Jack Grealish by dcdavecollett
[October 17, 2019, 11:16:11 PM]

Re: Derby Incident - Drink Driving by luke95
[October 17, 2019, 11:10:01 PM]

Re: Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[October 17, 2019, 11:07:34 PM]

Re: Dean Saunders by dcdavecollett
[October 17, 2019, 11:05:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread  (Read 10550 times)

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
Re: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
Frustrating but not disastrous.  Odd how we fell apart once they went down to 10 men.  We looked tired, which perhaps explains the multiple misplaced passes towards the end.

Positives: Nakamba had a decent debut,  the defence didn't give them a clear chance on goal, we created the clearer chances, Guilbert looked quick and committed, Grealish looked good first half.

Less positive:  Tempo still too slow,  way too many sloppy passes, neither winger much cop, centre forward a bit isolated and missed two free headers even if one was offside, Taylor, whilst ok defensively, is useless when attacking, a seeming reluctance to have a pop (Taylor and Grealish had sight of goal second half and bottled it), Jota looks lightweight, a bit slow and very one-footed,  struggling against 10 men.

All in all we don't look a bad team, certainly nothing like 3-4 years ago, we maybe need a bit more time for players to bed in and for things to click.  And maybe Dean needs to re-think the formation.

Cant agree with the bit about Nakamba. Gave the ball away numerous times under little pressure. Hopefully was just a bit nervous on his debut.

Eh?  He had one little patch first half where he was sloppy with a couple of passses, then at the end when there was a communal give the ball away party but apart from that I thought he played really well, broke up a number of attacks especially second half, and brought the ball forward well. 

For those criticising Grealish, I think they are basing the whole performance on the last 25-30 minutes, where admittedly he was poor, bu so were most of them.  I've not really bought into the hype around him but up to then he's caused Spam a lot of problems and created a fair few chances for us.  Harsh to say he was crap.

Offline Monty

• GM : 26.08.2019
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »
When I say the standard of the passing was high (and it did get sloppier when they went down to ten) I mean you have to factor in the quality of the pressing and the defending too. There were plenty of balls that, against lesser opposition, would've been on target and incisive but that were cut out by good positioning and anticipation. This division is a proper challenge.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
Violent conduct is violent conduct, doesn't matter who it's aimed at.  He's an idiot.

Only players I can remember actually getting sent off for it were the Bowyer-Dyer fight.

Just mentioned on radio Adebayor and Bendtner had a fight in an Arsenal game and neither were sent off.

"Arsenal were 4-1 down to fierce rivals Tottenham, a touch paper which would then be lit by Arsene Wenger's strikers.

Adebayor attempted to headbutt the Dane and later revealed his aggression was stimulated due to a perceived lack of respect.  "

So similar by sounds of it, no red card issued.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »
Defensively sound and Marvelous had a good debut. I'd favour him ahead of Luiz as dm. Away from home playing both might be an option but as we're defensively sound I would only play 1 of them at home. Our wingers are not performing and leaving Wes isolated. A change of formation is needed to 4-1-3-2 for home games and perhaps 4-2-3-1 for aways. In home games, if he's available I'd have Trez playing off Wes.
Last night our dead ball routines were awful and clearly we are missing Conor's free kicks, corner kicks and goals.
If Jack can get booked for simulation when he didn't dive, why didn't noble get his second booking when he clearly dived? Answer-sh-t refs. I don't like to see my own players fighting, but Mings and El Ghazi both showed they cared and if our basket case players of 2016 had shown a bit more grit between each other we may not have got relegated. I was impressed with the way both shook hands immediately at the resulting corner, missed totally by the ref who then proceeded to talk to both, long after the initial squirmish. Regarding west spam, I thought Bournemouth were better. They offered nothing and were well marshalled by our defense. Dean 4-3-3 isn't working as we don't have the forward players to make it work. A re-think is needed.

Offline Small Rodent

• Music4Children
  • GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2019, 11:34:56 AM »
The attack is slightly concerning. Get rid of one winger, push Grealish forward and stick Hourihane or Luiz in the midfield gap.

Our defence was very good.

Laughing at some WHU fans on post-match news threads deriding Villa. Er...you only took a point from us.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 26.01.2020
« Reply #200 on: September 17, 2019, 11:36:24 AM »
West Ham are a decent side and have that Premiership nous that we haven't fully acquired as yet. 

Yes, I thought they were so much better at the decisions of when to committ men forward, when to press and when to get behind the ball.

On the plus side, we will get better at that with every game

Offline RichardBatchelor

OpRe: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #201 on: September 17, 2019, 11:44:31 AM »
Thought it was ok up to the red card. The problem we have is although we’re competitive there are no crap teams and hardly any dodgy managers now in this league.

Positives. Closing down West Ham when shaping to shoot. This we did magnificently. Mings MOM, and Marvelous, while not quite marvellous, was ace. Grealish first half, Engels, general defensive play and a handful of attacking forays. Overall average. Move on to next game ...

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #202 on: September 17, 2019, 11:45:19 AM »
West Ham fans were singing that Jack is just a ‘sh1t Mark Noble.’

I thought Mark Noble had the ‘sh1t Mark Noble’ title sewn up already.

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #203 on: September 17, 2019, 11:53:48 AM »
His diving is even sh*tter.

Online olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #204 on: September 17, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
We did enough in the first half to win this match. It was obvious from about 15 minutes that West Ham came for a draw. Second half was disappointing particularly the last 25 minutes against 10 men. We were actually quite shambolic in that period. No idea, no coherency, zero composure and therefore no end result. We have failed the test of 10 men twice. Against Palace went down to 10 and lost the match and now this. We also "lost it" after Spurs equalised. We are obviously not a confident team at this level yet and  Dean and Co need to do most work on that aspect. If can can grow we will survive.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2019, 12:41:39 PM »
Some musings; First on West Ham. An expensive, established team in fine form have been nullified and rendered toothless by a very good defensive performance by us.  Despite grumblings, this is a massive positive, Heaton was completely untroubled. Declan Rice stood out like a beacon, he is a very good footballer.
On to us; We played well first half BUT as with any team of our level, we have 2/3 outstanding players and you need at least one of them to be on top form, we did not have that. Jack was out of sorts and kept dropping too deep for my liking. McGinn was 100mph as always but it was all a bit "running down blind alleys". Wes is getting pelters but his general hold up play was actually quite good, but somehow he was still too isolated, Our MF never seemed to support the attack in force.
AEG was a bit rubbish but despite Neil Taylor being excellent defensively, he doesn't give defenders a great deal to think about on offense - its generally down to AEG to work something on his own.

My overriding feeling after that is that we had too many unforced errors, really sloppy passing - Nakamba, Grealish, Guilbert, McGinn were all guilty. When they went down to 10 men the game was calling out for Lansbury and Hourihane - we should have loaded the MF and dominated them allowing 2-3 of them to break into the box on every attack - poor subs by DS im afraid.

Next game I really think we need to change the system slightly and get a couple of men closer to Wes in and around the box.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »
This one's for @Rudy can't fail .
Correctly suggesting 0-0 pre matche
Fair play !! I responded to that particular 0-0 suggestion as little chance and thought folly
And also learns me to not dismiss such a potential scoreline all because of some perceived expectations to score goals by both teams and being carried away with the attack minded side we supposedly are !

Villa had not been 0-0 in 2 years at villa park
And in all honesty , and expectations, I didn't think have one this season at home in Premier league.

Super well done @rudycan'tfail !! Great prediction!
Maybe some would say score draw but impressively pointing out a 0-0 was quite something

I'll be placing a bet on his/her next scoreline prediction v arsenal !
Remarkable foresight! 

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2019, 01:05:50 PM »
Grealish is not the player that he or we think he is.

For the first time tonight, I actually think he is. Saying that, if Hutton or Taylor had given the ball away the way Jack did, they'd never play for us again. Jack was brilliant and at the same time shocking. I'd prefer to move on from tonight. England? You're havin' a laugh. Half decent Villa player? It's there.

There you are !
Rudy
A message to you, Rudy
A message to you,  Rudy

Well done on predicting 0-0 !
Did you have a wee gamble on that?

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 22.02.2020
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2019, 01:16:17 PM »
Not knocking the recruitment and not saying that Trez and Wes are flops, but we're probably 4 points down due to them not hitting the ground running.

We need them to improve, if they don't it'll be a struggle until January when we need a wide-man and a centre forward. I'm sure we've got money so I'm not concerned, and our defence will keep us in games but losing points before we run in to the big boys is frustrating.

The likes of Batshauyi and Demari Gray might be available in Jan on short-term deals so I'm sure there's scope.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #209 on: September 17, 2019, 01:19:59 PM »
Not knocking the recruitment and not saying that Trez and Wes are flops, but we're probably 4 points down due to them not hitting the ground running.

We need them to improve, if they don't it'll be a struggle until January when we need a wide-man and a centre forward. I'm sure we've got money so I'm not concerned, and our defence will keep us in games but losing points before we run in to the big boys is frustrating.

The likes of Batshauyi and Demari Gray might be available in Jan on short-term deals so I'm sure there's scope.

I'd definitely be up for getting Gray if Leicester were prepared to let him go.  A very good player on the few times I've seen them play.