collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread  (Read 31642 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2019, 11:27:26 PM »
We were desperate for a left footed attacker from the bench, is there anyone in the stiffs?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2019, 11:27:27 PM »
Frustrating but not disastrous.  Odd how we fell apart once they went down to 10 men.  We looked tired, which perhaps explains the multiple misplaced passes towards the end.

Positives: Nakamba had a decent debut,  the defence didn't give them a clear chance on goal, we created the clearer chances, Guilbert looked quick and committed, Grealish looked good first half.

Less positive:  Tempo still too slow,  way too many sloppy passes, neither winger much cop, centre forward a bit isolated and missed two free headers even if one was offside, Taylor, whilst ok defensively, is useless when attacking, a seeming reluctance to have a pop (Taylor and Grealish had sight of goal second half and bottled it), Jota looks lightweight, a bit slow and very one-footed,  struggling against 10 men.

All in all we don't look a bad team, certainly nothing like 3-4 years ago, we maybe need a bit more time for players to bed in and for things to click.  And maybe Dean needs to re-think the formation.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2019, 11:33:28 PM »
I think the problem is both the formation and the Centre forward.
I think we need a rethink in terms of how we can get our most creative players into the game offensively.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2019, 11:35:43 PM »
Jack made a couple of very slack passes but his biggest fault tonight was that he dragged his marker into already crowded areas and he also slowed down the pace of attacks.

He really needs to show a little self sacrifice and give up having so many touches overall to play higher up the field.

I wouldn’t describe him as poor as he made some great dribbles but he needs to be used more wisely.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2019, 11:35:55 PM »
the wingers or whatever you want to call them arnt good enough

I’d swap Jota El Ghazi and Trez for one really good wide player

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2019, 11:38:23 PM »
Sadly, we look increasingly cowed by PL opposition. West Ham at home with 10 men and they outplayed us.
You have posted this for effect haven't you?

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2019, 11:39:03 PM »
I think Jack is trying too hard.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2019, 11:41:30 PM »
I think Jack is trying too hard.

He's starting to look like a character from Prisoner cell block H

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2019, 11:43:12 PM »
Sadly, we look increasingly cowed by PL opposition. West Ham at home with 10 men and they outplayed us.
You have posted this for effect haven't you?

No.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2019, 11:48:51 PM »
Sloppy by all of them. Grealish had a real stinker.

Officials c**ts again. Lucky to have a point.
I would like to disagree on all points. Not all were sloppy. Defence played well. Grealish wasn't brilliant but still provided a heavy burden for West Ham. Officials were ok. Dean was probably the best ref we have had all season. Definitely NOT lucky to have a point. It was the minimum we deserved.

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2019, 11:49:58 PM »
I can say “I was there”...you don’t often see 2 winners on Prize Where It Lies...magical stuff!

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2019, 11:50:46 PM »
Not read a post in this thread so apologies if rehashing but I thought the positives were that we look hard to beat and there was plenty of energy.

Thought we were generally the better side but not sure either keeper will have left thinking they were particularly busy.

For me the issue is still the one that we’ve struggled a little with since Deano took over in that he wants to play 433 but the two wide players just don’t contribute enough going forward or tracking back - tonight I though El Ghazi was adequate but the compete lack of pace in Jota is a weak link

Offline Arsey

« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2019, 11:50:59 PM »
Some harsh comments. some need to get a reality check.  We made a very decent West Ham side look very ordinary. We didn’t create much but had the best chances.  They have some very good players. Rice was very good and Noble was excellent but he definitely should have been sent off.

Football is about tiny margins (and huge amounts of luck). Had Jack smacked home the chance at the very end the comments on here would be massively different.

Defensively we were excellent (again). Apart from a few sloppy passes Marvellous had a cracking debut.

Jota didn’t do much and it was a shame Trez was unavailable. El Ghazi looked okay in the first half and got forward well and had some of our best chances. Second half he looked gone. I think he would be a decent impact substitute but it’s an area we need to look to improve in Jan.

The result is a little disappointing but there was a lot to be positive about.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2019, 11:51:22 PM »
Didn't think it was too bad tonight against a decent outfit who should finish in the top half.  Yes, we gave the ball away too many times, especially in our own third of the pitch in the first half, but I thought we worked hard a played well in patches.

Agree with the comments about the formation - it isn't really working.  Think we need to get Grealish further forward and perhaps get McGinn a bit closer to Wesley as well. A few sloppy passes aside, I thought a Marvellous did OK and Engels and Mings are forming a solid partnership with the steadying influence of Heaton behind them.

Offline J

« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2019, 11:54:07 PM »
Frustrating but not disastrous.  Odd how we fell apart once they went down to 10 men.  We looked tired, which perhaps explains the multiple misplaced passes towards the end.

Positives: Nakamba had a decent debut,  the defence didn't give them a clear chance on goal, we created the clearer chances, Guilbert looked quick and committed, Grealish looked good first half.

Less positive:  Tempo still too slow,  way too many sloppy passes, neither winger much cop, centre forward a bit isolated and missed two free headers even if one was offside, Taylor, whilst ok defensively, is useless when attacking, a seeming reluctance to have a pop (Taylor and Grealish had sight of goal second half and bottled it), Jota looks lightweight, a bit slow and very one-footed,  struggling against 10 men.

All in all we don't look a bad team, certainly nothing like 3-4 years ago, we maybe need a bit more time for players to bed in and for things to click.  And maybe Dean needs to re-think the formation.

Cant agree with the bit about Nakamba. Gave the ball away numerous times under little pressure. Hopefully was just a bit nervous on his debut.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal