collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread  (Read 31646 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #225 on: September 18, 2019, 08:08:54 AM »
This is where Deano needs to show some flexibility with formations.  I think Arsenal away is a good game to try something like a 4-2-2-1-1.  Hourihane in there for his set piece threat and get the big lads up, play Grealish higher up the field and look to win free kicks. Be compact and we can nick something there.

Heaton

Fred - Engels - Mings - Taylor

Marvelous - Douglas Luis

McGinn - Hourihane

Grealish

Wesley

no width

Peter?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #226 on: September 18, 2019, 08:10:46 AM »
Very much agree TV.  Up front is where we are not Premiership class. 

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #227 on: September 18, 2019, 08:26:18 AM »
I hope Supporters don't start turning on AEG he's a great lad and can be class on his day, I just think TM went a bit OTT, England call up prob got to his head and Anwar has reacted. Hopefully that's the end of it , both great  lads
Well said; exactly my thoughts.

I think you're both wrong in that case

Offline Badsastard

« Reply #228 on: September 18, 2019, 09:30:24 AM »
I hope Supporters don't start turning on AEG he's a great lad and can be class on his day, I just think TM went a bit OTT, England call up prob got to his head and Anwar has reacted. Hopefully that's the end of it , both great  lads

AEG's general unwillingness to track back demonstrates a poor teamwork ethic. The bollocking he received was completely justified and his response to it was petulant to the extreme. Very poor from him.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #229 on: September 18, 2019, 09:37:09 AM »
It was unacceptable from AEG and would’ve almost certainly caused us to lose the game had the Ref sent him off.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »
we do need to become more clinical but the chances have to be created first
I really don’t think it’s a case of just going out and buying more strikers like we have done in the past to our cost at times

if we had signed Maupay I honestly don’t think he would have made any difference in the games we have played so far

it’s not just about buying a forward, it’s not that easy
it’s about the whole team working together and finding a way to play and score goals as a forward unit

having said that I think we will bring another centre forward in because we are light in that department but I don’t think that will be the answer straight away, we need to use the ball more effectively in the final third and the goals will come

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
I really don’t think it’s a case of just going out and buying more strikers like we have done in the past to our cost at times

if we had signed Maupay I honestly don’t think he would have made any difference in the games we have played so far

it’s about the whole team working together and finding a way to play and score goals as a forward unit

having said that I think we will bring another centre forward in because we are light in that department but I don’t think that will be the answer straight away, we need to use the ball more effectively in the final third and the goals will come

I get your general point John, but I think Maupay WOULD have made a lot of difference up front.  He could either play the Wesley role and be a lot more mobile, or replaced either El Ghazi or Jota, both of whom have been largely rubbish.

Offline danno

« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2019, 10:20:51 AM »
I think we're an Ashley Young type (rather than a Darren Bent) short ATM.

Still maybe Trezegeut has that in him. Far too early to tell.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2019, 10:29:09 AM »
There's a story from, I believe, a spoof Twitter account that AEG reacted as he did because Mings spoiled Harry Potter for him. It's nonsense but I really want it to be true.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2019, 10:39:37 AM »

I get your general point John, but I think Maupay WOULD have made a lot of difference up front.  He could either play the Wesley role and be a lot more mobile, or replaced either El Ghazi or Jota, both of whom have been largely rubbish.

I think when we go for another striker we will go for better than Maupay
honestly think the new owners are just keeping their powder dry when it comes to another forward option and when we do make a move it will be a biggy

Offline Damo70

« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »
I am starting to think we need a forward who is a free agent to see us through to January. The need for another forward was the only thing that disappointed me regarding our summer transfer business.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »

We didn't in the summer.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #237 on: September 18, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »
That’s because Kane wasn’t available.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #238 on: September 18, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »

We didn't in the summer.

Well maybe we did, we were linked to a few players that I'd say are a level up from Maupay but none of them came to anything. Maybe they decided that they would only go for another forward if it was someone who would be a level above what we had and the options they found just weren't available or interested at the time. This is why I'd like to see us get away from the bottom 3 long before January. If we could go into that window sat in midtable and looking for a striker to challenge for Europe our options are much better than looking for someone to pull us out of the relegation battle.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
I honestly think a team has to go down to 10 men in the first half for it to make a significant difference. In the last half hour teams tend to get a surge of self righteous energy which doesn’t run out before the end of the game.

In this particular game I thought we were tiring and West Ham were getting on top just before the sending off. They had been better at ‘making the ball do the work’ as the pundits say whilst our style is more frantic & I think we were running out of steam.

In this sense, the sending off helped even things up, but a team that has a steady passing game (rather than a running game) like West Ham will cope with being a man down for half an hour far better than our style would.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal