collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 11:35:30 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:35:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread  (Read 31647 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Aston Villa v West Ham post-match thread
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2019, 01:26:00 AM »
Grealish is not the player that he or we think he is.

For the first time tonight, I actually think he is. Saying that, if Hutton or Taylor had given the ball away the way Jack did, they'd never play for us again. Jack was brilliant and at the same time shocking. I'd prefer to move on from tonight. England? You're havin' a laugh. Half decent Villa player? It's there.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2019, 02:06:45 AM »
If you watch the replay you will see that Grealish was ball watching and left El Ghazi with two players to mind and he got stuck between the two of them. Last season I commented how JG slows down our forward movement and it was glaring tonight very rarely does he play through balls, he will be of more use playing the traditional inside forward role getting closer to the opposition goal.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2019, 05:20:10 AM »
Given the magnitude of the task, credit where credit is due, defensively we look very decent. Decent home debut from Marvelous, Guilbert and Engels have slotted in very well and I’ve seen enough to suggest Grealish & McGinn can make an impact at this level.

The problem lies up front where we just don’t carry anywhere near enough of a threat. Wesley needs time we just don’t have and Jota and El Ghazi don’t look like they’re going to cut it (at the moment). Getting Jack on the ball further up the field more often will help but just hard to see where the goals are coming from at the moment and that’s a bit of a problem.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2019, 06:52:00 AM »
Right now our front 3 are no better than they were in The Championship simple as that.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2019, 06:55:23 AM »
For me we need a David Platt type of footballer who can break into the box and get goals and play off Wesley.

Both McGinn and Grealish play too deep and have to cover too much ground to get into the penalty area regularly.

Also when we do get into a decent crossing position we seem to rush the pass or cross, they need to just slow down and take there time and look for a man, rather than just hoping that it will find a Villa player.

Not a game to live long in the memory.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2019, 07:04:36 AM »
I don't think we played that badly really even if at times we looked a bit predictable. We needed something different from the bench up front but all we had was Davis. Wesley looks as if he's going to need a season to settle in so the sooner Kodjia comes back and offers us something else the better. Overall, disappointing not to get the three points but glad we didn't lose.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2019, 07:10:08 AM »
We look star struck at the moment,  shouldn't be the case for up to now apart from Spurs we have had on paper the better 11.  A lot of ball given away last night. 

As for Wesley, needs a  massive hoof up his backside - all round play would struggle in the championship.  Turning to Jota gave his all, just his all like at Palace simply not good enough.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2019, 07:41:05 AM »
Didn't get the swapping DMs sub (AEM was made just before red card).

I’d guess that as it was his first PL start that was always going to be something likely, also with them all wearing GPS trackers now, the analysts might have picked up that his performance had dropped.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2019, 07:44:39 AM »
This is where Deano needs to show some flexibility with formations.  I think Arsenal away is a good game to try something like a 4-2-2-1-1.  Hourihane in there for his set piece threat and get the big lads up, play Grealish higher up the field and look to win free kicks. Be compact and we can nick something there.

Heaton

Fred - Engels - Mings - Taylor

Marvelous - Douglas Luis

McGinn - Hourihane

Grealish

Wesley

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2019, 07:55:55 AM »
OzVilla, roughly my thiniking.
We had moments of real class last night but are being undone by a stretched formation and some poor individual errors of occasional poor passing and first-touch. But it's the 2-winger game which is killing us, because it is stretching our players and our wingers aren't good enough at this level.
Play 4-2-3-1 and most of the issues are addressed.
With Marvelous (or Hourihane) and Luis palying behind Grealish, McGinn and Jota who play in aupport of Wesley, we get a more compact and attacking set-up which exploits the strengths of all the players involved - and, we can get Guilbert in a more attacking role, going to an effective three at the back wehn we  are in possession.. the current set-up fails to do that and, furthermore, leaves Wesley stranded and Grealish and McGinn knackered after 60-70 minutes.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2019, 07:56:25 AM »
Just home.  Not as gloomy as most.  The Premiership was always going to be hard.  Plenty of positives to take from that game.  Plenty of negatives too.  I agree with Jon.  On all the evidence so far the front three is where we have not improved from last season.

Offline curlytailavfc

• www.friendsofakitas.co.uk
  • GM : 26.02.2019
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2019, 07:58:12 AM »
i fell asleep after 30 mins

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2019, 08:08:16 AM »
I thought defensively and in midfield we looked pretty good.

The issue for me was the front three. Wesley didn't do much but was feeding off scraps as Jota and AEG offered virtually no threat at all.

AEG looked like he never recovered from the bollocking Mings gave him, he looked scared and constantly refused to run at the full back, opting to just stand on the touchline and knock it back to someone else. He did it once near the end, and by magic, the West Ham defence opened up and the gaps appeared.

The big positive was that we didn't lose. You could just see them nicking one on the break at the end, but we held really firm.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2019, 08:28:36 AM »
Thought we played defensively well but lacked a little in transition which allowed Rice to smother us a bit.

Grealish is too deep and the wingers didn't impress. Only Grealish put in a dangerous ball for Wesley and he should have scored.

Wesley isn't doing enough for me, but the midfield arent creating enough for him either.

I would like a formation switch and away at Arsenal might necessitate that.

Hopefully we can still be in touch in January and pick up a forward to add more of a threat up front.

That said  for all West Ham fans sage remarks about how "desperately poor we are", we were the better side and created chances, whereas they were toothless and crested nothing. The only threat posed was the last 5 where the game opened up for them to counter.

Noble should have walked. It was an outrageous dive and I wonder what the point of VAR is.

We need some tinkering up front to get men closer to Wesley or we will struggle to create enough good opportunities.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2019, 08:34:40 AM »
Against a strong, well organised side I thought we made the better chances but our finishing let us down. I am hoping that doesn’t become the story of the season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal