collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219874 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #570 on: November 11, 2019, 10:20:24 PM »
Our midfield is not good enough to play 4-3-3. Yesterday he should have played 4-2-3-1, or 4-1-4-1, offer some protection, Dean in my humble opinion is to rigid to one system, without Jack we often look poor

Looks to me as if we were playing 4231 with Luiz and Nakamba sitting?
I think it’s 4 3 3 with SJM roaming a bit from the right.

Not sure about that, certainly when Grealish played recently it looked very much a 4231 with AEG, McGinn and Grealish the three. In truth we were a complete rabble in that first half so it was hard to know where anyone was playing, the players seemed in the same boat. McGinn definitely dropped deeper next to Luiz when Nakamba went off and Lansbury seemed to be playing up near Wesley, got in the box a good bit anyway.

I was very critical of Smith earlier in the season with the "two number eights" formation, which had Hourihane sitting and McGinn and Grealish further forward. Teams played through us at will. Nakamba has certainly added a bit of bite and mobility in there and Luiz is the natural partner for him. But he can start earning his spot on the team through performances on the pitch not on reputation from now on. We were pushing hard for an equaliser yesterday when he bottled physical contact with Traore for the second goal.

I'm not a huge fan of 352 or 343 but I think its something we could consider. Konsa in the middle with Engels and Mings on either side. We are far too easy to play against and arent creating enough chances, not a great combination.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #571 on: November 11, 2019, 11:12:47 PM »
A team that continually alters its formation has a manager that doesn't know his best side.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #572 on: November 11, 2019, 11:27:54 PM »
A team that continually alters its formation has a manager that doesn't know his best side.

It doesn't need to be continual change, just the ability to alter the formation or the type of substitutions once in a while to get a result.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #573 on: November 12, 2019, 12:06:15 AM »
Let's be honest, if Jack misses 13 games this season like he did last, we will be down. We won 2 of 13 in the Championship without him, OK so we've improved a bit in a few areas since then, but at this level I think we'd go on a similar run. Hopefully he's back for Newcastle and stays fit.

When you think about it we've been pretty good with injuries this season. McGinn and Mings have played every game, Jack up to Liverpool had also played every game and I think Wesley has aswell. He's obviously not as good as the others but considering the lack of depth we have upfront it's important he stays fit.

So all our key players have been available up to Liverpool for every league fixture. I think bar Trez being suspended for West Ham the two regular wingers have also been available.

It's very difficult to do that for even half a season and now we're coming up to December knocks and strains are happening. Where we are at the club currently is we need our first choice 11 out to be confident of winning premier league games. I doubt I was the only one at 1pm yesterday looking at team news and thinking it would be a massive struggle to even get a point and so it proved.

It's not just us btw. West Ham's defence has completely gone to pot since Fabianski got injured, that joker they've got in goal now is one of worst premier league keepers I've seen since Mark Bunn was playing in this league. Also Man. United have looked better going forward since Martial returned.

Really shows you how crucial January is. At the very least we need to sign 2-3 who can be decent game changers off the bench and come in when likes of McGinn or Jack aren't available. A 2007 type window would be great as Young and Carew not only improved us that season but for the following seasons afterwards.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #574 on: November 12, 2019, 12:48:33 AM »
I agree HQ, we were throwing away points with a full squad to pick from, now those points are going to be even harder to achieve.
Relying on the January transfer window is risky but as you say we need some quality recruits in some critical positions.
Centre Forward being the most important.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #575 on: November 12, 2019, 08:48:19 AM »
We we have been slightly unfortunate with injuries is that the player who is perhaps closest to Jack in terms of skill set, in Jota, was also injured at the same time.

Would be the same with the GK position if Heaton is out for any length of time (not sure what the prognosis is for him?) as not many sides get down to their third choice keeper.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #576 on: November 12, 2019, 01:37:00 PM »

It doesn't need to be continual change, just the ability to alter the formation or the type of substitutions once in a while to get a result.

I know what you're saying but the squad isn't deep enough yet. We just don't have the creativity once Jack is out.  We have no third winger to put pressure on Trezeguet and El Ghazi unless Jack plays wide.  We need three or four more in come the transfer window.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #577 on: November 12, 2019, 02:37:11 PM »
I think people hoping for 3 or 4 signing in January will be dissapointed.  My guess is we'll be looking at one or maybe two at most.  And even for those we'll probably be held to ransom until the end of the window.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #578 on: November 12, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »
I think people hoping for 3 or 4 signing in January will be dissapointed.  My guess is we'll be looking at one or maybe two at most.  And even for those we'll probably be held to ransom until the end of the window.

A couple of very good additions is all we need. The defence has more than an enough cover, and so has the midfield 3.  It's up front where we're woefully short.  A proper striker and another decent attacking option and we'll be good.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #579 on: November 12, 2019, 03:05:31 PM »

A couple of very good additions is all we need. The defence has more than an enough cover, and so has the midfield 3.  It's up front where we're woefully short.  A proper striker and another decent attacking option and we'll be good.

yep i would agree with that
I actually think we are those two ‘very good’ additions away from having a top half starting 11 (maybe eleven a top eight)
Obviously then as we go forward can strengthen the squad

on the subject of the thread title
I will get a bit worried if we lose to Newcastle
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 03:08:32 PM by john e »

Offline Londonfranky

• GM : 27.12.2021
« Reply #580 on: November 12, 2019, 03:13:19 PM »
As an outsider looking at this I can understand the frustration, you’re lost to top teams after leading, you’ve lost quite few games by the odd goal, what did really you expect at the start of the season? If look at the three teams below you, your goal difference is far better  that’s worth a point, I said the same thing at the start of the season, this is were John Terry earn his corn, what you need now between now and Christmas two or three scrappy 1-0 wins, at the moment your only a couple of wins away from the safety of mid table.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #581 on: November 12, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »
Personally I have to say we are a season away form being a really great team.
Glimpses have been shown and keep these lot together every bloody last one of them will improve with our main man and  coach supreme Deano!
Additional moves are needed in window  however, hope they are more of the ready to come in to first team rather than a development type player.

I also have a strong belief as this squad have more time together and play games together the better they will become as players and as a team.

Finally I have so much faith in Smith that he will develop this team this season and Villa will show the progression and will be a good standing team come season end.
It takes some time to come together however it will come together and basically Villa will improve as season goes on.
That's what I think anyway.
So that's why I'm not worried (right now!)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #582 on: November 12, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »
I admire your optimism. Personally I think we will struggle this season but survive and hopefully move on to more comfortable things next season.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #583 on: November 12, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »
I admire your optimism. Personally I think we will struggle this season but survive and hopefully move on to more comfortable things next season.

Seconded

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #584 on: November 12, 2019, 07:54:37 PM »
i think we will survive but the old frustrations of the previous 4-5 years in the Premier League have really got to me again after three seasons of enjoyment in admittedly a lower quality division. The plethora of late goals against, the inability to beat the Sky teams, the patronising opposition fans, i haven't missed this at all. And to top it all off its bloody difficult getting a ticket this season. Having said that we have the best set up and management in years and the team is full of decent players who do seem to care (Sunday aside!).  I am sure in January Deano wont be hung out to dry and denied transfer funds like Garde was. In 2016 the white flag was being waved in January (if not earlier than that), this year our backers will do what it takes to strenghen the team. Beat Newcastle and things will look a whole lot better, i just think we need to be more positive in terms of playing two strikers up front because Wesley is extremely isolated in most of the games hes played. He hasnt impressed me bar one or two games but i would be interested to see how he got on with someone playing closer to him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal