collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219875 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »
It is surely too early to factor in the league table too much. Obviously everyone would like a few more points on the board, but I don’t think the sample size is large enough to make definitive judgement.

Same with comparing other teams results at this stage (seen a few mention Watford drawing with Arsenal last week as though it makes today worse). The league seem much more like the Championship (in an everyone can beat everyone way) than it used to. West Ham, for example, I thought were fairly average against us, yet beat Manchester United today, who themselves beat a decent Leicester side last week.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #271 on: September 22, 2019, 09:34:20 PM »
I think I might start being concerned if these next three league games don't yield a decent points return, particularly with two of them at home.  Burnley are a streetwise and dogged team, Norwich and Brighton are games I expect us to be really competitive in and to pick up points.  We will see.  At some point, I expect the owners to put the feelers out.  They would be daft if they didn't, surely they would want to protect their investment?  I am not suggesting Dean Smith is ditched at this point but if we are 12 games in and still in the bottom three, I suggest things will get a bit twitchy.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #272 on: September 22, 2019, 09:41:05 PM »
I mean, for people worried about the league table, the current top 4 in Spain (as things stand) is Athletic Bilbao, Sevilla, Granada, & Real Sociedad, and much as I'd love an all-Basque/Andalusian top 4 in Spain it really isn't going to happen.

If we were top 4 I'd probably think we weren't going to win the title, but being in the bottom three, and playing as we are, I think there's a decent chance we'll go down.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #273 on: September 22, 2019, 09:51:03 PM »
I mean, for people worried about the league table, the current top 4 in Spain (as things stand) is Athletic Bilbao, Sevilla, Granada, & Real Sociedad, and much as I'd love an all-Basque/Andalusian top 4 in Spain it really isn't going to happen.

If we were top 4 I'd probably think we weren't going to win the title, but being in the bottom three, and playing as we are, I think there's a decent chance we'll go down.

Don't disagree, but it is still premature to draw conclusions.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #274 on: September 22, 2019, 09:56:31 PM »
After today yes I am worried. The poor results when in 10 men situations is very big issue. Losing today was total incompetence and incompetent teams do not survive,

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #275 on: September 22, 2019, 09:58:08 PM »
We need to win next Saturday.

At the moment table is still condensed and not yet split into many seperate divisions beyond the top 2 who are miles better than everyone else.

We beat Burnley and we move to 7 points so one off Chelsea, Man. United, Sheffield United and a few other teams who have had comfortable starts and don't look like getting relegated.

Struggle to get wins in our next three and it's not going to be a real slog then up to middle of December as that's when the hard fixtures start piling up one after the other. Man. City and then Liverpool in one week at the start of November for example. Minor miracle to even get a point out of those two games.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #276 on: September 22, 2019, 10:03:06 PM »
Keep saying this, I don’t want to be the plucky side who have a go but come up short. To throw away the game today, to only manage a draw v 10 man West Ham is very poor. It’s ok Dean or others saying it will be ok, fact is, we have thrown away points. We need to get clever and very quickly. 4 points from the next two games and yes things look different, but I can only comment on what has happened.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #277 on: September 22, 2019, 10:09:56 PM »
Hope this plucky loser shit is not going to be a regular feature.

« Reply #278 on: September 22, 2019, 10:17:52 PM »
Hope this plucky loser shit is not going to be a regular feature.

It won’t be if we start winning games

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #279 on: September 22, 2019, 10:27:52 PM »
There's undoubtedly a chance we'll finish bottom 3. We haven't been beaten out of sight but we've looked shambolic at points in games too often and losing 4 out of 6 tells its own story. Long way to go and as we saw last season form can switch dramatically. Hopefully there's some good times ahead this season but at the moment it's shit. Today was a real choker in particular.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #280 on: September 22, 2019, 10:31:38 PM »
After today yes I am worried. The poor results when in 10 men situations is very big issue. Losing today was total incompetence and incompetent teams do not survive,
I think this is a nail on head comment.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #281 on: September 22, 2019, 10:34:18 PM »
All season we’ve been saying played well but we need to learn about the PL quickly and cut out the silly mistakes which is true. But at the moment we appear to be doing neither. How long before the ‘it’s still early season, new team’ excuses start becoming the norm.

I’d say DS has 10/12 games. If we’re still treading water then i’d expect the owners to get twitchy. They like a name and I can see them going for Mouriniho.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #282 on: September 22, 2019, 10:42:52 PM »

I’d say DS has 10/12 games. If we’re still treading water then i’d expect the owners to get twitchy. They like a name and I can see them going for Mouriniho.

Is there anything from them to suggest that? Surely if that was true they would have gone Henry over Dean Smith in the first place.

« Reply #283 on: September 22, 2019, 10:44:19 PM »
Mourinho, really?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2019, 10:45:14 PM »
They’ll either go internal (Terry) or tried and trusted PL experience. Henry was a name (just not a managerial one).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal