collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219953 times)

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #165 on: September 05, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »
All through the summer we were saying we had to be patient, let the new players settle in etc and that this season was one of survival. All this remains true. And if it all goes to shite the worst that happens is we return to the Championship again for a while. Not a disaster

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #166 on: September 05, 2019, 12:56:27 PM »
I wasn't worried, and I don't think I am too much, we need to settle.  However I watched MOTD last night for the first time this season to see the Palace game reaction etc. and all the teams look pretty good - including the likes of Burnley.  They all seemed to create a lot more chances than we have been doing so far, so that needs to improve.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
Results this weekend have showed it’s going to be a hard year to stay up. 2 other promoted sides looking very good value, both better than us, and it looks a big ask to finish above 3 established PL sides. The shit ones aren’t quite as shit as I’d hoped either.

Having said that, I do expect us to improve more than a lot of other teams around us as the season goes on, because of the squad turnover.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2019, 08:16:02 PM »
A defeat at home is not unthinkable, it's very possible, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

We also have a good chance of a victory, but that wouldn't mean we're in for a comfortable mid table either.

A draw wouldn't be a bad result against West Ham. They've had an OK start.

Keep the faith in Dean & Co.

Offline Davkaus

« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2019, 08:42:54 PM »
The shit ones aren’t quite as shit as I’d hoped either.

I agree with this. I'd hardly watched any PL football for the past 3 seasons, and it looks like I'd mentally adjusted what good football was for the Championship. Even the shit PL teams are faster, stronger and better with the ball than the dross we've been playing for years. It's a much bigger step up than I thought it'd be, and we don't look up to the job so far.  There's a very long way to go, but I don't see any way we won't be in the mix at the bottom come the end of the season.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2019, 09:03:14 PM »
After this Weekends results I think 4 defeats in 5 would be a disaster. If we want to stay up we need to be getting three points tomorrow, 1 point would not be a disaster zero points would make me panic a little

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2019, 07:03:48 AM »
I’m always happy when a manager is never satisfied, as there is always something that can be improved and Dean Smith certainly has his feet on the ground and always talks about how we can improve.  This is really positive.

Steve Bruce lost me when he made the comment along the lines of it not being unexpected to go a month without winning in the Championship.  To progress you need realistic and honest assessments so you can identify changes that will improve performances, and even though there would be an element of Bruce trying to defend himself in public, making such statements only sends out the wrong message to everyone involved.

I like that Smith’s comments don’t try and hide the reality, and as he is an obviously intelligent and passionate manager then this gives me confidence that things will improve.

Having been a season ticket holder through some pretty dire seasons, I have been buzzing about going to every single match so far this season and long may that continue!

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2019, 08:03:23 AM »
Spot on mate. I’ve been thinking the same over the weekend. That’s the other reason I think we should improve as the season goes on - Smith is smart and self aware enough to respond to the need to adapt, then take action, and the players all seem like they take coaching well and are prepared to graft between games.

It’s nice to think we don’t have a set up where we’ll keep making the same mistakes all season.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2019, 09:48:37 AM »
We've had a clear fortnight without losing many players. I'm confident we've worked on tons of stuff in training.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
We have just had two seasons of finishing in the top six. We were always likely to lose more games in our first season back in the Premier League. Everybody at the club from the owners to the supporters has to keep their bottle this season. We may well take a couple of heavy beatings and we may well go through lean spells during the course of the season. But panicking is not an option. Anybody who is losing their bottle in September is in for a long hard stressful season. Tonight is exactly the sort of game we need to win this season (as was Bournemouth and Everton) but I would suggest that anyone who needs their tie and shoe laces taken off them for their own safety this early in the campaign isn't cut out to be a football fan and should take up fishing or bowls.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »
Would have liked at least 1 more point, maybe 3. Tonight is big as all home games should be, 6 points from the next 4 games

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »
We have just had two seasons of finishing in the top six. We were always likely to lose more games in our first season back in the Premier League. Everybody at the club from the owners to the supporters has to keep their bottle this season. We may well take a couple of heavy beatings and we may well go through lean spells during the course of the season. But panicking is not an option. Anybody who is losing their bottle in September is in for a long hard stressful season. Tonight is exactly the sort of game we need to win this season (as was Bournemouth and Everton) but I would suggest that anyone who needs their tie and shoe laces taken off them for their own safety this early in the campaign isn't cut out to be a football fan and should take up fishing or bowls.

I was fishing today. It was far less stressful than supporting Villa. And also far less enjoyable.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2019, 02:45:39 PM »
I'm a bit on edge today I must admit.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2019, 02:52:06 PM »
I am excited.  Can't wait!  Another full Villa Park under the floodlights, crowd up for it, Jack and the lads determined to make up for Palace, the TV cameras on-hand and all eyes on us...

This is what we wanted last year, it's not going to be easy but it's a ride I'd rather be on than not.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »
Lose tonight and I will start to become concerned ... we need points on the board

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal