collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone starting to get worried?  (Read 219857 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Anyone starting to get worried?
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2019, 12:11:21 PM »
- I'm not sure there are three worse teams than us. 

We're 4th bottom, so yes, there are.
What a daft comment.  Just because there's 3 teams with fewer points after 5 games doesn't mean there are 3 worse teams.  Do you truly think we're a better team than Wolves with our current squads?

So how do you measure that teams are better or worse. So far three other teams have done worse than we have and you could well argue that we'd be higher in the table given our performances against Palace, Bournemouth and to a lesser extent Spurs.

The league is measured on points and where you finish.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »

By that logic if we lose to Arsenal and find ourselves in the bottom 3 you'll be saying we'll be relegated as we'll be one of the worst 3 teams?

If you extrapolate it across the season, yes we would.

I don't think we're one of the worst 3 and I don't think we've got what we deserved from games but what you deserve and what you get are two different things.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »
We need to get Conor in there somewhere for his delivery , set pieces and goals . especially If we can play Marvelous and Luis together with Jack and Conor further up.   Jota and EGZ are very poor at the moment , easily pushed off the ball . Id leave Trez on the bench for now too.
Agree. Marvellous and Luiw together would allow jack and john mc ginn to play higher and not tire too soon in the game. JMG disappeared 2nd half.

The trouble is, the only way you get Nakamba, Luis, Grealish and McGinn in the same side is if you do away with wingers and rely on the full backs to provide the width.  Guilbert can probably do that, but I don't think Taylor's got it in him.  It will also put our centre backs under more pressure.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2019, 12:34:29 PM »

What a daft comment.  Just because there's 3 teams with fewer points after 5 games doesn't mean there are 3 worse teams.  Do you truly think we're a better team than Wolves with our current squads?

So how do you measure that teams are better or worse. So far three other teams have done worse than we have and you could well argue that we'd be higher in the table given our performances against Palace, Bournemouth and to a lesser extent Spurs.

The league is measured on points and where you finish.
I make a judgement on how well teams play, not a black and white analysis of results after 5 games (where of course all teams have had different fixtures etc).  Based on how we have played so far and taking account the strenth of our squad then as I stated I'm not convinced there are three worse teams than us at the moment.  If you think Wolves are, well ok but I doubt many will agree.

If your contribution to this thread will be an update on where we stand in the league each week then fair enough, but it's hardly an informed view of how good we are or where we are likley to end up this season, which was my interpretation of what this thread was really about.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2019, 12:49:31 PM »
I also think that we'll stay up, but I don't think you can base anything on a league table after 5 games, our current points per game says we're both wrong that we'll stay up if we do base it on the current table as we'll finish with 30 or 31 points. 3 teams currently being below us is as meaningless as that ppg or us losing and being bottom 3 after Arsenal, which I doubt will have either of us thinking we'll be relegated.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »
Worried? I can't bloody wait for every game!  We've got a manager and a team looking as committed as any side we've had in 20 years, Villa Park is absolutely rocking, and even if the worst does happen I've lost the fear of relegation as the Championship was great fun for the last 2 years.

I say we go out every week without fear, players and supporters.  We've got so much going for us right now that we have to keep it going even if results go against us - stick to what we are doing and we will be more than alright.  The absolute worst thing we could do is start to get worried and retreat into our shells.  If results go against us then just get louder, play more aggressively and make others worry about us.  What was it Dean said last season about not just winning this game, but putting fear into your next opponents?  That's what I want to hear from everyone.

I'll leave you with this - imagine being a West Ham fan leaving Villa Park tonight having tasted the atmosphere we will generate. Then imagine having to go back and play in that soulless dome at the weekend.  I know whose shoes I'd rather be in.

Worried?  Not a chance.

Great fun in the championship? Revisionism comes to mind...The club was weeks away from bankruptcy at one point during all the fun

I don't get how the club's financial status prevented us enjoying winning more games per season than we had since the Martin O'Neil years...

Offline danno

« Reply #231 on: September 17, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
I also think that we'll stay up, but I don't think you can base anything on a league table after 5 games,

Or ten. Last season after ten games Newcastle had three points. Three draws, seven defeats. They finished 13th.

I think there's more to come from us, think we'll take a hiding or two along the way but am still cautiously optimistic.

Online Dogtanian

« Reply #232 on: September 17, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »
We are going to regret not buying another striker

To currently have the options of Wesley and Davis is nowhere near enough.

Our build up play is also so slow and predictable.

As has been discussed a lot already, the board and manager both wanted to reinforce the attack but as they have publicly stated the right deal for the right player did not come up.  This wasn't a belief that we didn't need to buy, but a belief that chucking money up the wall ( again ) for the sake of it was not the answer.

They will be sitting there wishing that they had been able to get something over the line without doubt.  But there's a big difference between running a team and running a whole football club and unfortunately in the real world there are other considerations.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2019, 01:04:30 PM »
We need to get Conor in there somewhere for his delivery , set pieces and goals . especially If we can play Marvelous and Luis together with Jack and Conor further up.   Jota and EGZ are very poor at the moment , easily pushed off the ball . Id leave Trez on the bench for now too.
Agree. Marvellous and Luiw together would allow jack and john mc ginn to play higher and not tire too soon in the game. JMG disappeared 2nd half.

The trouble is, the only way you get Nakamba, Luis, Grealish and McGinn in the same side is if you do away with wingers and rely on the full backs to provide the width.  Guilbert can probably do that, but I don't think Taylor's got it in him.  It will also put our centre backs under more pressure.
Targett might have it in him, though. Right now the wide players are totally ineffective, so it's worth a go.

Online Dogtanian

« Reply #234 on: September 17, 2019, 01:07:58 PM »

I thought the end of the game yesterday was crying out for Hourihane.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #235 on: September 17, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »

I would get rid of the wingers . I wouldnt say Jota is a winger , he hasnt got the pace anyway so Id drop him but I reckon we need to get Targett in there as he could do the job at left back.

Id go 4 2 3 1   and get SJM , Conor  and JG to support Wes more and some crosses from the full backs .  I thought Marvelous for his first game looks a good player  .

We have to support Wes .

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #236 on: September 17, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »

Either him or Lansbury would have been a good idea.  We had a man advantage, but completely failed to make that count and just swapped one ineffective winger for another.  We should have been looking to swamp the midfield, but persisted with the same tactics that weren't working.  At times towards the end of the second half we had four or five players in our own half doing nothing.  Grealish was clearly frustrated, and when he gets frustrated he starts to try too hard, and his game goes to pot.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #237 on: September 17, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »

Either him or Lansbury would have been a good idea.  We had a man advantage, but completely failed to make that count and just swapped one ineffective winger for another.  We should have been looking to swamp the midfield, but persisted with the same tactics that weren't working.  At times towards the end of the second half we had four or five players in our own half doing nothing.  Grealish was clearly frustrated, and when he gets frustrated he starts to try too hard, and his game goes to pot.

Agree with all these post. The wide men are currently not very effective so why not try midfielder alternatives

Online Dogtanian

« Reply #238 on: September 17, 2019, 01:55:04 PM »
Lots of people predicted that we'd get 'found out' and battered every game, but no one has looked like thrashing us so far and our performances are getting better bit by bit.

Home form - 4 points from 3 games, two of which were against top 10 teams last season who have both spent this summer, and the third we were the better team but a couple of silly nervous mistakes cost us two early goals.  Two clean sheets is nothing to be sniffed at in this league either, in fact our last season in the Prem we only kept 6 all season.

Away form - 0 points from 2 games, one of which was against the European runners-up and other could easily have been a draw, one way or another.

Neither of those records is anything to cry about.  The Bournemouth game is the big regret because it was two silly mistakes so early that denied us three points that would have us around mid-table and no-one would be bothering with this thread.

Offline qwerty

« Reply #239 on: September 18, 2019, 03:17:09 PM »
My take on Villa thus far.

Positive:
Villa have a reasonable defence, but it frequently comes under excessive pressure.

Negative:
1. No defined style of play.
2. No proven goalscorers.
3. Midfield lacks coordination in build-up play (see 1).
4. Compared to other Premiership teams Villa appear tentative. They repeatedly fail to impose themselves on the opposition (as with 10 man West Ham), preferring to re-enact their version of the Battle of of the Alamo (as seen at Crystal Palace. Never mind the terrible refereeing, Villa should have lost by several goals).

Outlook:
Unless:
(i) a defined style is introduced with joined up midfield play, suitable for combating Premiership teams and
(ii) the attack is strengthened to enable Villa to score more goals, then there is only one possible outcome, relegation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal