collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our fans/atmosphere  (Read 10357 times)

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
Our fans/atmosphere
« on: August 24, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
I thought we could have a thread to post any decent links of last night and just the support in general. I haven't been able to find much from last night at VP so would be grateful to see some, and maybe this thread could be used for games in future. Cheers.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
Re: Our fans/atmosphere
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 09:46:00 PM »
Thanks for that PWS, is that a H&V twitterer?

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 09:48:22 PM »
Going down has made us accept humility and give us a sense of how lucky we are to actually support this team and club. 30 odd years of being in the top flight had made us world weary and cynical added to the toxicity of a club going absolutely nowhere with no investment and utter charlatans in charge. We thought we’d piss the league when we were relegated and were given a rude awakening. Bruce to be fair stopped the rot, but couldn’t take it further and it then took a local man, a man who feels this club from his heels to his scalp, moulded in the fires of lower league football to galvanise the support and his players with an understated and humble approach to playing high tempo attacking football.

Last season was heading down the toilet until at half time at Stoke, then that world weariness was thrown to the wind as the Stoke City PA man played Sweet Caroline, Deano had kicked the players back out early and there was a shift in attitude and approach. We seemed to believe, players started to push themselves and the supporters responded.

I walked away from Stoke for some reason feeling intensively positive.

Tyrone led, Jack returned, the rest is history.

That’s why we are where we are, last late Feb/March showed this team and most of all us, what this is all about.

The 2010s showed the very worst of this club and it’s supporters, we should never forget how low we sank and take anything in future for granted.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »
Thanks for that PWS, is that a H&V twitterer?

Not that I know of.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
Going down has made us accept humility and give us a sense of how lucky we are to actually support this team and club. 30 odd years of being in the top flight had made us world weary and cynical added to the toxicity of a club going absolutely nowhere with no investment and utter charlatans in charge. We thought we’d piss the league when we were relegated and were given a rude awakening. Bruce to be fair stopped the rot, but couldn’t take it further and it then took a local man, a man who feels this club from his heels to his scalp, moulded in the fires of lower league football to galvanise the support and his players with an understated and humble approach to playing high tempo attacking football.

Last season was heading down the toilet until at half time at Stoke, then that world weariness was thrown to the wind as the Stoke City PA man played Sweet Caroline, Deano had kicked the players back out early and there was a shift in attitude and approach. We seemed to believe, players started to push themselves and the supporters responded.

I walked away from Stoke for some reason feeling intensively positive.

Tyrone led, Jack returned, the rest is history.

That’s why we are where we are, last late Feb/March showed this team and most of all us, what this is all about.

The 2010s showed the very worst of this club and it’s supporters, we should never forget how low we sank and take anything in future for granted.

r

Good read this ,  that stoke game was so funny we didn’t win but you just felt that was positive

Online KRS

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:01 PM »
Completely forgot about the “fuck the Blose” line in Sweet Caroline!

Offline j66acd

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 10:20:43 PM »

Glad I’m not the only one who screams that!!

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 10:39:17 PM »
As special as it would be to be able to recapture a moment, I don't think one ever can. That second goal last night, despite it being late on, game's already technically won and a fair few having buggered off early, it was one of the loudest noises I've ever heard.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »
I firmly believe that the biggest realisation of the last few years had been that being in the top flight so long, we - club and fans - had started taking it for granted.

A few years of playing shit like Blues and Burton and we're understanding what a privilege top flight football is.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 12:07:30 AM »

Hopefully everyone does, so small time mentioning them straight after we win.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 12:10:25 AM »
I still maintain that we need to consider a new stadium to take a giant step forward but Villa Park in full voice under lights is really something very, very special. If there is a way to generate required revenue by properly redeveloping the North I’m all for it. Not sure it can be done while also address the various and significant structural inadequacies in other parts of the ground.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:16:25 AM by Toronto Villa »

Offline artvandelay

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 12:16:36 AM »
I firmly believe that the biggest realisation of the last few years had been that being in the top flight so long, we - club and fans - had started taking it for granted.

A few years of playing shit like Blues and Burton and we're understanding what a privilege top flight football is.

This is so true. I've had a ST since '97, so I only really know average in the top flight (6th place or lower) as being best. I also got fairly used to relegation battles.I think the period down the leagues will make us appreciate being back up so much more.

Also maybe its my psychological perception, but is the quality of football in this division, not an obvious class above what I was watching in the Championship?

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 12:32:20 AM »
Quality of football a class above? Compared to what we left three years ago, it's close to being a different sport all round. It's why I'm so glad we've got someone like Smith pulling the strings rather than someone like Bruce.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal