collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Everton Post Match Thread  (Read 31097 times)

Offline robleflaneur

Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Everton Post Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
I was disappointed with how long it took the referee to sort out their standing on our quick free kicks. Maybe 3 or 4 times before he got a card out. Maybe we need to be a bit wiser, stop trying to push them away and just take the free kick.
The foul/follow through from Coleman on Trézéguet when he stood over the ball to stop the free kick being taken quickly was pretty nasty (especially considering it was a tactic they'd employed all game).

As did Bournemouth.

Look at the 4 goals we’ve scored this year so far, 3 on the break.  Teams will see that and employ a similar approach so we will have to get used to it.
However,that tactic cost Everton ,Jack releasing a short pass to Guilbert and we nearly did the same in the 2nd half.But what a great night and incredible atmosphere.I'm still buzzing this morning,should be a bit of a worry at my age but despite the cricket ,Boris ,Brexit and other bullshit ,it's a wonderful world.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
I thought Coleman was a bit lucky, it was obvious was he was trying to do and nearly got more of Trezeguets ankle than the ball. They stood over the ball on all our free kicks, if the ref had booked them the first time, they wouldn't have done it again.

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #227 on: August 24, 2019, 12:18:07 PM »
Awesome game - felt cathartic at the end - after 3.5 years (even longer really) feels like we're very much on an upward trajectory. Haven't felt so connected with the team for a long time - my 8 year old was blown away with the atmosphere and we're still talking/arguing today who our man of the match is.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2019, 12:21:30 PM »
I thought Coleman was a bit lucky, it was obvious was he was trying to do and nearly got more of Trezeguets ankle than the ball. They stood over the ball on all our free kicks, if the ref had booked them the first time, they wouldn't have done it again.

What happened to moving the ball forwards if they don’t retreat the full distance?

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2019, 12:39:53 PM »
My daughter is 22 and has been going with me since she was 5. Last night on the train home she said...Dad....is this like the old days you keep on about ? !

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2019, 12:54:20 PM »

Yes, I noticed that the Everton players stood over the ball on nearly all of our free kicks. Michael Oliver was extremely weak I thought. What about the blatant push on Douglas when he had a forward run on their goal in the first half? A definite yellow card and yet the jerk gave nothing.

Offline GXVilla

« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2019, 12:57:53 PM »
What a fantastic night, well worth the 4 hours on the M40 getting there!
Wesley was immense as he's finally adapting to just how physical the PL is.Guilbert was fantastic as well and created the space for Jota with his runs.
Defensively very resilient as we'll need to be, with Mings absolutely awe inspiring.
Atmosphere was great with people singing around us in the Trinity upper-like the old days of the stomping feet! Got to say the Lower North was awesome and kept going even when the Holte flagged second half. Rousing finale was brilliant though and I just love a late goal, even if it is just to reward us old bits who stay to the end!
Just got to find a way to get Palace tickets now!
Come on you Lions.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
Couple of unconnected observations. Everton showed the danger that a ball pulled backwards from attacking the byline creates. It's something Smith got us doing when he came, and I'm hoping that as we become more sure-footed in the division it'll come back.
And, nobody's kept a clean sheet against us yet. Bodes well.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #233 on: August 24, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
Were there any noticeable confrontations between Taylor and Coleman?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #234 on: August 24, 2019, 01:22:46 PM »

Great result.
Wonderful atmosphere from start to finish.
Some very exciting performances.

Still plenty we can improve on though obviously.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #235 on: August 24, 2019, 01:26:56 PM »

What happened to moving the ball forwards if they don’t retreat the full distance?

Oh yeah, that rule didn't seem to last long.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #236 on: August 24, 2019, 01:49:25 PM »
What an atmosphere, what a night 😳 it felt like a semi - final of a cup.took my cousin along to his first ever match, was over from Iceland.

I was close to tears at the final whistle, that ending was something else. My head hurts today 🍻

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #237 on: August 24, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
Were there any noticeable confrontations between Taylor and Coleman?
No. And they were both fairly ineffective when they crossed the halfway line.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »
I somehow got into the ground using my 2017/18 season ticket last night. I didn't do it deliberately, I simply picked the wrong season card from my wallet. I assume the chip inside it somehow recognises that I have a season ticket this season. Most interesting I'm sure you'll all agree.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #239 on: August 24, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
Villa Park is getting a lot of love across the interwebs at the mo. It makes me reflect on that thread where we were discussing the merits or lack thereof of moving to a new ground. Do we really want to give that up even if the opportunity were to present itself? A few choice comments from the Graun (and there were no criticisms of VP either) from non-Villa fans:

Villa Park. What an atmosphere at the end. Welcome back indeed.

Villa Park, Goodison, Bramall Lane, Elland Road, The City Ground, Roker Park, Upton Park and, strangely, Highfield Road were some of the grounds as an away fan I used to love because of the utter racket. I'm pretty sure I lost fillings from the noise from the Holte End. It was (i don't go so much after all-seating and moving into that bloody nonentity that is the Etihad) a sight to see when the Holte End was going bananas.

Villa Park under the floodlights always seems so unique.

Lighting is different to all other Prem grounds.

Villa looked decent in patches but they were lucky Everton were so awful. They will do well to stay up this season but with such a fantastic stadium, as Villa Park is, their home form might just help them get over the line.

It is a great ground...years since I've been there mind. No daft plans to redevelop and stuff the atmosphere hopefully?

Decent performance from Villa. Great to see them back in the Premier League as I always enjoyed watching games at Villa Park. Great atmosphere, full of history.

...onto Sigurdsson,he was that anonymous,he even didn't know he was at Villa Park,a bouncing vibrant ground,that has had Premiership status all the time,even though in recent times,the teams haven't,welcome back.

Henry Winter said on the radio last night what a great old ground Villa Park is and you hear it quite often. The oldest stand dates from the 1970's !

Villa,Park my favourite away ground...beers before..beers on way home...and still time for beers in Town.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal