collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Everton Post Match Thread  (Read 30838 times)

Offline postal

Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Everton Post Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2019, 10:26:47 PM »
The bbc cant help having a poor stat dig
"The result lifts Dean Smith's side up to 11th in the table and gives Villa their first win in the top flight since February 2016"

Yes its hard to win in the top flight if you aren't in it.
I know the bbc do the same nonsense to all teams, but stats can mean everything and nothing. Sorry as a maths guy, this gets my goat.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2019, 10:28:19 PM »
They now know that they can win in this league, not against one of the bottom contenders either.  It was difficult at times but the Emperor and his deputy were immense.  We're taking on board the lessons from the previous two games and that, along with tonight's win can only pay dividends.

The crowd were tremendous, really loud and threatening for any team coming here.

Offline villa_cads

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2019, 10:28:19 PM »
Better atmosphere than the play off final, if that’s even possible. Fucking brilliant.
I watched on the TV and can’t recall a better atmosphere.

I'm sure there was moment with two different chants at once, never heard that before.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »
A lot of these PL players I'm seeing for the first time.  That Andre Gomes was utter shite.

Gomes, Schneiderlin, Richarlison, Bernard, Sigurdsson, Walcott were all genuinely useless (£140m approx combined). Thought Iwobi looked to be carrying timber too. They have spent huge money on that squad in comparison to ours.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2019, 10:28:59 PM »
Fucking hell I'm choked up. Maybe I'm being a bit of a drama queen but there was something cathartic about this.

Have a fucking brill weekend everyone.

Me too. It was the way Carragher and G. Neville were talking about is that did for me.

What were they saying Perce? If anyone manages to find a video of it I'll be very grateful 😊

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2019, 10:29:05 PM »
Great night and atmosphere . Got the all important win. Big Wes superb and Guilbert showed his quality. McGinn and Grealish both improved.

In saying all that, Everton were genuinely awful and still missed three absolute sitters. Really hope that's not the type of football we continue to play all season , far too direct and really struggling with the transition from defence into midfield.

Heaton 6 - solid night and didn't have much to do
Guilbert 7 - very solid after the early yellow, his pace will be a huge addition all season. Got away with a big mistake late on for the Walcott chance mind.
Engels 7 - this guy is a good defender, seems slow but never caught out of position. Solid on ball and in the air
Mings 6 - some great blocks but gave away possession all night. Wild fresh air kick in our box could have been punished, not sure he needed to leave his position for the Walcott chance either.
Taylor 6 - solid defensively in fairness but nowhere near good technically with the ball, that cross effort alone was pathetic
Luiz 6 - worked hard but didn't get the ball off the back often enough to get us playing
McGinn 7 - good with ball and worked very hard without it with a number of key turnovers.
Grealish 7 - decent night after a slow start. Still not at his most fluent but a lot more involved on the ball
Jota 6- fine assist but that aside struggled to get involved I thought. Brushed off ball and struggled with pace of the game.
Trez 5 - his pace caused problems at times but anonymous for large parts. Not sure about this guy I must say.
Wes 9 - fine finish for goal and transformed thereafter . Held ball up brilliantly for us and key for the second goal.

El Ghazi 7 - nice finish and looked a threat. Getting dropped might have done the trick . Has far more to his game than our other two wide options . Elmo I can't recall having a kick

Crikey some harsh ratings considering we won. Mings might have given the ball away but made some important headers and blocks . Jota played quite well in the first half. Trezeguet didn't have his best game but 5?

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2019, 10:29:56 PM »
My MOTM: Bad English

Thanks for the tweet during the match.

Up the Villa!!!! Fuck yeah!!!!!!!!

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
They now know that they can win in this league, not against one of the bottom contenders either.  It was difficult at times but the Emperor and his deputy were immense.  We're taking on board the lessons from the previous two games and that, along with tonight's win can only pay dividends.

The crowd were tremendous, really loud and threatening for any team coming here.

This all day long, we needed this, we will grow.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2019, 10:30:11 PM »
Daughter and I are hoarse from screaming and singing after watching on tv...VP was rocking and the players did us proud.

You could see the nerves melt away after we scored and hopefully this 3 points is the start of something very special.

Everyone gets an 11 from me, especially the fans.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2019, 10:30:51 PM »
Tbf I thought Trezeguet was poor wirh the ball but his work rate was excellent

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2019, 10:31:23 PM »
I had a dream last night we won 2-0. Oooooo!

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2019, 10:31:41 PM »
Great night and atmosphere . Got the all important win. Big Wes superb and Guilbert showed his quality. McGinn and Grealish both improved.

In saying all that, Everton were genuinely awful and still missed three absolute sitters. Really hope that's not the type of football we continue to play all season , far too direct and really struggling with the transition from defence into midfield.

Heaton 6 - solid night and didn't have much to do
Guilbert 7 - very solid after the early yellow, his pace will be a huge addition all season. Got away with a big mistake late on for the Walcott chance mind.
Engels 7 - this guy is a good defender, seems slow but never caught out of position. Solid on ball and in the air
Mings 6 - some great blocks but gave away possession all night. Wild fresh air kick in our box could have been punished, not sure he needed to leave his position for the Walcott chance either.
Taylor 6 - solid defensively in fairness but nowhere near good technically with the ball, that cross effort alone was pathetic
Luiz 6 - worked hard but didn't get the ball off the back often enough to get us playing
McGinn 7 - good with ball and worked very hard without it with a number of key turnovers.
Grealish 7 - decent night after a slow start. Still not at his most fluent but a lot more involved on the ball
Jota 6- fine assist but that aside struggled to get involved I thought. Brushed off ball and struggled with pace of the game.
Trez 5 - his pace caused problems at times but anonymous for large parts. Not sure about this guy I must say.
Wes 9 - fine finish for goal and transformed thereafter . Held ball up brilliantly for us and key for the second goal.

El Ghazi 7 - nice finish and looked a threat. Getting dropped might have done the trick . Has far more to his game than our other two wide options . Elmo I can't recall having a kick

Crikey some harsh ratings considering we won. Mings might have given the ball away but made some important headers and blocks . Jota played quite well in the first half. Trezeguet didn't have his best game but 5?

Delighted we won mate but wasn't overly impressed with football we played. A win is a win, mind. Thought we played better v Bournemouth in truth.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2019, 10:32:27 PM »
Well that was superb. Tonight showed we do belong back at this level.

Overall very very good. Really pleased for the back 5 getting the clean sheet, they've been much than 5 goals in the first two games. Freddie aswell gave us new momentum going forward from the back, keep him in.

This game reminded me of us beating Chelsea 2-0 in I think 2007 (Mourinho's last game in his first spell). We came out, played better than expected, got a deserved lead and then were comfortable without being comfortable if you get my thinking. Only really got worried in last 10 minutes when Everton really were missing good chances.

We are off the mark now. Would've signed up for a point at half 7 tonight. Go to Palace, defend well and get a 0-1 and it will suddenly look a very good start.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2019, 10:33:07 PM »
A lot of these PL players I'm seeing for the first time.  That Andre Gomes was utter shite.

Gomes, Schneiderlin, Richarlison, Bernard, Sigurdsson, Walcott were all genuinely useless (£140m approx combined). Thought Iwobi looked to be carrying timber too. They have spent huge money on that squad in comparison to ours.

So many of their attacks ended with the ball flying 10 feet over the bar. They were decent in the build up but looked really wasteful.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2019, 10:34:07 PM »
I had a dream last night we won 2-0. Oooooo!

Superb.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal