collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Everton Post Match Thread  (Read 31155 times)

Offline GarTomas

Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Everton Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2019, 09:58:38 AM »
I was disappointed with how long it took the referee to sort out their standing on our quick free kicks. Maybe 3 or 4 times before he got a card out. Maybe we need to be a bit wiser, stop trying to push them away and just take the free kick.
The foul/follow through from Coleman on Trézéguet when he stood over the ball to stop the free kick being taken quickly was pretty nasty (especially considering it was a tactic they'd employed all game).

As did Bournemouth.

Look at the 4 goals we’ve scored this year so far, 3 on the break.  Teams will see that and employ a similar approach so we will have to get used to it.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2019, 10:12:39 AM »
Wow, what a night!

Marvellous, marvellous scenes.

UTV
And Marvellous wasn't even on the pitch :)

Offline olaftab

« Reply #212 on: August 24, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »
Just woken up.  Too tired and emotional when I got home in the small hours to come on this happy place. 

Two points for me are that the whole team was uniformly good no weak spots or soft underbelly.  Secondly how great it was that we got behind the lads so forcefully at the end.  Too frequently in the past we have retreated into nail biting in the closing minutes and it rubs off onto the players.  Proud to be part of that crowd.  I like doing ape shit.

Whisper it.  Engels might be as good as Tyrone.
It's a wonderful morning Brian for many reasons.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2019, 10:20:20 AM »
All of the above.
A special shout-out for Freddie. His pace and timing are awesome. Positioning was dodge early on, but Engels coached him through that.
He is a star in the making.
Brave lad very fast and will get better. Much more effective going forward than Hutton and ElMohammedy and as you said learning on his feet defensively.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
That awful “conquered all of Europe in 1982” chant seems to have caught on. Will it ever die now?

I hope not. Its brilliant.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #215 on: August 24, 2019, 10:25:39 AM »
The drive home after the match took longer than usual as I had to keep wiping specks of dust from my eyes 😂.
The atmosphere at the home of football was one of the best in all my years of following the Villa.
See you all at Crewe on Tuesday.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #216 on: August 24, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »
That awful “conquered all of Europe in 1982” chant seems to have caught on. Will it ever die now?
Cheer up, it was a wonderful night.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2019, 10:32:16 AM »
I thought his player ratings were a tad harsh but I agree with him that by their standards Everton were poor and yet still dominated and missed some sitters. Doesn't matter as a one off game we won but 35% possession, 3 shots on target (1 after 80 odd mins) and 0 corners at home isn't always going to end as well tonight did. 
With respect that's load of bollix. It took us about 10 minutes to realise what they were up to and as soon as Luiz stopped being pulled out to the wide areas we were in control. We gave them possession out wide because our CB's could deal with anything that came in. This was deliberate and therefore the possession stats.

Offline A Northern Soul

• Xxx
  • GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »
This is a special time to be a Villa supporter. The connect between everyone (supporters, players, management, board) is different to anything else in my 35 years of going down to VP. We’ve had some elements before but not all 4. Savour it and maintain it. We will lose a few but what I experienced last night will drag us over the line many times if repeated.

I remember saying a few years ago that Leicester fans were dragging their team over the line in their good season. At that time we were (justifiably) booing our team off at half time in front of a quarter empty ground and squabbling amongst each other.

Point being let’s not lose this now. We can be huge, it will take time, but with patience and a collective will we can grow and grow, and enjoy it!

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #219 on: August 24, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »
I have just finishedwatching the mid week EFL games on Quest. I love it - but it makes you realize how far we have come since May.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #220 on: August 24, 2019, 11:33:16 AM »
Wow, what a night!

Marvellous, marvellous scenes.

UTV
And Marvellous wasn't even on the pitch :)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!  ;)

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #221 on: August 24, 2019, 11:37:18 AM »
I know we were under a lot of pressure, and the match could have ended differently, but how good was that for atmosphere, team effort and how to get your first points of the season?

We have shown already we can compete at this level. The defence is resolute and organised and can withstand intense pressure. We have forward players who can pose difficulties both on the flanks and through the middle. Four different players have already scored. We have a canny manager who keeps calm and is wisely integrating a new squad.

Special mention for ...

Jota, whose trickery is a delight to watch. Swapping Gardner and a few quid for him deserves a full feature on Crime Stoppers.

Guilbert; such energy going forward and capable of moving inside to create space for others. Settled well, won headers and put in a great last ditch tackle in the second half.

Wesley; answered his critics big time. Not just the lazy "rent a quote" so-called pundits but also the keyboard warriors who had written off a player new to this country and this league. Took his goal comfortably and bossed the much vaunted Everton backline. Great build up to second goal. Guess what? Deano has been watching him "for months" - unlike the armchair critics.

The crowd;   brilliant from build up to finale. Got to say I love "Sweet Caroline", which epitomises our sense of unity atm. 

Still buzzing!  Great start to Bank Holiday weekend for everyone on H and V

Offline bugdozer

• I was a teenage armchair (̶H̶o̶n̶v̶e̶d̶) Villa fan
« Reply #222 on: August 24, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »
The bbc cant help having a poor stat dig
"The result lifts Dean Smith's side up to 11th in the table and gives Villa their first win in the top flight since February 2016"

Yes its hard to win in the top flight if you aren't in it.
I know the bbc do the same nonsense to all teams, but stats can mean everything and nothing. Sorry as a maths guy, this gets my goat.

Yes. This also makes my goat boil.

It brings a lump to my eye and a tear to my throat.

Much as I love the Beeb, the bulk of their sports coverage is rubbish, Tom Fordyce apart. One view of MOTD should confirm that ex-players do not make good journalism.

There's a weird Premier League only bias to stats that they dish out that I'm sure we're all aware of. The worst example I can think of is when we beat SHA back in the day, when they finally emerged. The report went something like

"This is the first time that Villa have beaten their local rivals in blah blah blah years"

Like it was OUR fault that they were shite for ages.

Offline bugdozer

• I was a teenage armchair (̶H̶o̶n̶v̶e̶d̶) Villa fan
« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2019, 11:56:14 AM »
Forgot to mention - Villa are back.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »
The bbc cant help having a poor stat dig
"The result lifts Dean Smith's side up to 11th in the table and gives Villa their first win in the top flight since February 2016"

Yes its hard to win in the top flight if you aren't in it.
I know the bbc do the same nonsense to all teams, but stats can mean everything and nothing. Sorry as a maths guy, this gets my goat.

Yes. This also makes my goat boil.

It brings a lump to my eye and a tear to my throat.

Much as I love the Beeb, the bulk of their sports coverage is rubbish, Tom Fordyce apart. One view of MOTD should confirm that ex-players do not make good journalism.

There's a weird Premier League only bias to stats that they dish out that I'm sure we're all aware of. The worst example I can think of is when we beat SHA back in the day, when they finally emerged. The report went something like

"This is the first time that Villa have beaten their local rivals in blah blah blah years"

Like it was OUR fault that they were shite for ages.

This is ridiculous. I was emotional because it's our first top flight win in over three years, and the BBC rightly pointed that out. No bias here, sake.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal