collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Player Racist Abuse  (Read 5868 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Player Racist Abuse
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »
I've reported various types of discrimination towards all backgrounds and from all backgrounds and have been mett with the same lazy response, like above

Unfortunately people think they can do/say as they like behind a screen.  I posted an opinion on a football page and was told to  "f*** off back to Iceland" lovely

One thing I do like is how inclusive villa are as a club, I love Aston and the interesting diversity of the area with VP at the heart of it. I've never heard any racism in the stadium and everyone is made to feel welcome.

There is only so much the clubs can do and these idiots might not even support the club of the players they are abusing, it's far too easy to set up a 'fake' account.
I find it quite heartening that the demograph of our supporter base is slowly becoming more and more diverse (just my own observations ) On recent shopping trip to "One Stop" in Perry Barr which is a very multi-cultural place it was noticeable that there was quite a healthy number of Villa stuff being worn compared to the usual collection of Man U, Liverpool etc. And Tammy will never be appreciated by some of the "Farage" loving types at Chelsea. Bring him home.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 06:37:30 PM »
I was pleased on Twitter to see that a Baggies fan who tried to start the ‘Town full of P****’ chant at Luton was shouted down and reported by his fellow fans around him so that he was thrown out and hopefully will face further action to keep him away.
Fair play to those (especially the first) who spoke up. That’s what’s needed. EVERY TIME.
Every time these types of one of insults or chants are out there, there are people around them who know it’s wrong but don’t do anything. That has to stop now....there are enough ways to challenge it without putting yourself at risk.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 06:37:56 PM »
Incredibly depressing.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »
My view is that the battle to beat racism is through education.  Education in the home, education in schools, education in the workplace, education among friends, and suitable punishment for perpetrators with more education in the prison system.  It's pie-in-the-sky on my part but I will firmly hold on to that belief until the day I die.  It won't happen in my lifetime but I live in hope it will happen within the next century or so, after all it's only just over one hundred and fifty years that slavery was abolished in Britain and who, at the time would have thought that?  We have to continue to stand up and be counted.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 07:15:38 PM »
When it's inside a ground good folk have to speak up and point the low life out, otherwise you're complicit in that racism. It's tricky online, I've reported a couple of things on Twitter, but these faceless, new accounts pop up all time. The way the social media companies wash their hands of all of this is disgraceful.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 07:24:22 PM »
I try no to be too black mirror about these things but I do feel social media is a scourge when it comes to issues like this, amplifying social problems, giving a platform to evil nut cases, then failing to properly moderate itself. You’ve got tech companies more powerful than nations driven entirely by the profit motive, growing so fast they are throwing up issues quicker than they can be dealt with.

I would love to think there will be more good folk speaking up at games and dealing with the morons, agree that is probably the answer. But I’m not too optimistic, based on my experiences at football grounds.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »
I was pleased on Twitter to see that a Baggies fan who tried to start the ‘Town full of P****’ chant at Luton was shouted down and reported by his fellow fans around him so that he was thrown out and hopefully will face further action to keep him away.
Fair play to those (especially the first) who spoke up. That’s what’s needed. EVERY TIME.
Every time these types of one of insults or chants are out there, there are people around them who know it’s wrong but don’t do anything. That has to stop now....there are enough ways to challenge it without putting yourself at risk.
This. There are many fine posts on here some similar to this by amfy. I believe fellow fan action is the best and most effective medicine when it happens in the ground.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 07:52:00 PM »
I have spent the best part of 55 years standing up to racists and bigots, whether it be at school in Hall Green or Worcester and at work in Birmingham, Manchester,Liverpool, Bolton etc
I've delivered Humanitarian aid to Eastern Europe and witnessed terrible treatment of various ethnicities in Poland and Ukraine .
The ideologies of the far right are manifesting throughout the world ....we must all do our best to ensure that this and future generations do not accept racism as being tolerable or acceptable
On a trip to the US (prior to Trumps election ) I saw blatant racism displayed in Alabama and Tennessee - my hosts in both states were Afro American and I felt physically sick  of the abuse directed towards them -  KKK signs and other inappropriate flags were openly displayed, mainly in rural areas - that was pre Trump so I dread to think what things are like now ....

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 07:54:58 PM »
The fact social media companies are not treated as media companies or publishers appears to me at least to be a big part of the problem. Make Facebook, Twatter etc face up to usual laws on this in the UK and you have part of the solution.

This is the key for me. They ARE publishers. I know that that 'disruptor' is now a supposedly a good thing to be in business (and I can see the value on some level, in certain sectors) but these 'platforms' have disrupted far more than publishing and, for the most part, it hasn't been for the better. 

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 08:24:41 PM »
The fact social media companies are not treated as media companies or publishers appears to me at least to be a big part of the problem. Make Facebook, Twatter etc face up to usual laws on this in the UK and you have part of the solution.

This is the key for me. They ARE publishers. I know that that 'disruptor' is now a supposedly a good thing to be in business (and I can see the value on some level, in certain sectors) but these 'platforms' have disrupted far more than publishing and, for the most part, it hasn't been for the better.

I know as the forum Lib Dem I should be taking the hummus eating, sandal wearing civil liberties, down with big govt and free speech line but we don’t have free speech in this country as it’s limited by statute. On this, these profiteering, data thieving ****** need to be bought to book.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 08:46:51 PM »

I know as the forum Lib Dem I should be taking the hummus eating, sandal wearing civil liberties, down with big govt and free speech line but we don’t have free speech in this country as it’s limited by statute. On this, these profiteering, data thieving c***s need to be bought to book.

Yep. And to get back to the specific topic, they amplify a sliver of a minority of headcases to the extent that they cause real societal harm and hurt, at the same time giving worldwide platforms to similarly marginal figures that are lucky enough to be able to wear a pair of trousers the right way around and can source enough cocaine to keep them upright outside a courtroom for long enough to make a semi-literate speech.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
If you try to ignore it the only people taking notice will be the tweeters fellow racists. And then they will think they have permission to say anything they like, with support.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »
Just seen a clip from Talksport where the presenters rattle on about how annoying it is when people pronounce foreign players names correctly instead of ‘how we do in this country’.

The conversation builds to a crèchendo of sniggering at foreign sounding names.

If this is the accepted standard of national sports journalism then is it any wonder we have a growing problem?

You do not have to pronounce in a foreign accent to pronounce correctly. I do not say Hourihane in an Irish accent but have now noted that he pronounces it as HOWrihane & so that’s how I now say it. The same applies across all nationalities. You cannot tell people how to pronounce THEIR OWN name on the basis that ‘You’re in England now!’

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
"Hourihane" is pronounced "Hot Lips".

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2019, 02:34:26 PM »
Boris Johnson would be banned from this site for his use of language, and while his position is up for debate as PM, if a site like this can root out the bigots there is no reason why the big social media companies can't. It's just a question of scale.
I agree totally here. There's big sites with user-supplied content that manage to self-moderate - Wikipedia and Stackoverflow (computer programming website) spring to mind. Not having it that Facebook or Twitter aren't able to moderate themselves effectively.

As for the racists, others on here have stated my point of view better than I can. Respect to those who stand up to these racists and bigots.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal