collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Everton Pre-Match Thread  (Read 12361 times)

Offline sid1964

Re: Aston Villa vs Everton Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2019, 07:10:05 AM »
This will be tough, hoping for a win but expect a 1-1 draw.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 07:44:15 AM »
I think the two central deeper midfield players is a good shout, so Luiz and Hourihane to play in there. Get Jack further up the pitch and let SJM to push up as much as possible too.

Wes will need some help against Mina and Keane so we need to get close to him and not leave him isolated up front.

Difficult game but a draw would be good. 1 - 1 with Wes for us and the snake for them

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 08:24:18 AM »
I think we’ll go with the same formation. This is the style Dean has built the squad around.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 08:45:53 AM »
As others have mentioned, I think that one of the wingers should be sacrificed to allow for an extra central midfield player

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »
Surprised people don't think we will score. 2 in 2 so far and a handful of fantastic chances not taken. We need a couple more to drop in is all.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 09:57:25 AM »
If we're sticking with the same formation, as i would imagine we will, for this game i would bring in Guilbert for Elmo and Hourahane for El Ghazi, play Grealish left, Douglas in Grealish's position and Hourahane in Douglas's position (based on the last game). It's ridiculous really to panic yet but i've been pondering in my mind different formations that would give us an attacking 4 of Wes, Trez, Grealish and Douglas with lots of defensive players behind them. 5-3-2, 4-4-2 etc. Can't honestly see us changing the system though, just a case of getting to a stage where we need to know the best players to fit into it but we need to do it pretty quickly.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »
I think we’ll go with the same formation. This is the style Dean has built the squad around.
I think this . It's what  Dean Smith uses a 4-1-4-1 to 4-3-3 dropping to a 4-5-1 when not able to recover possession quickly.

I think the two central deeper midfield players is a good shout, so Luiz and Hourihane to play in there. Get Jack further up the pitch and let SJM to push up as much as possible too.

Wes will need some help against Mina and Keane so we need to get close to him and not leave him isolated up front.

Difficult game but a draw would be good. 1 - 1 with Wes for us and the snake for them

A good shout personnel wise but unlikely to have 4-2-3-1 with 2 '6's holds. Smith plays with 2 position 8s or 2 10s as maybe but not 2 deep lying. It's not how Smith would tactically set up.

Everton haven't conceded yet have they? Can't see us winning. 2-2 draw.

Going back to start of March think they've kept 8 clean sheets from last 12 games.
No goals conceded by Everton but 2.08 XG conceded so they have been fortunate not to concede.

Is there more to Guilbert not playing I find it puzzling that he was one of the better performers in pre season and yet did not make the squad.
Having many changes to a back four initially may have been something that wasn't wanted.
Elmo has experience , his stats for chances created and amount of crosses I think sees him get another match. It's the quality of the delivery that needs improvement.
Vs Bournemouth Elmo only had one cross from the edge of the penalty area. He also has a cross where he served up a big chance in which Grealish shouldered over.

DS does not have much history of changing the formation.
I would like to see Jack pushed further forward.
Grealish created a chance every 15 minutes , 6 chances in the last match.
He had a far better second half than first half despite tiring towards the final 10 minutes.
He needs to be getting in the penalty area and six yard box. Touching ball 4 times in penalty area at home to Bournemouth was an improvement to the zero touches against Spurs.

Surprised people don't think we will score. 2 in 2 so far and a handful of fantastic chances not taken. We need a couple more to drop in is all.
XG for  Villa are 3.04 goals from 2 matches so actually performing below expected.

Certainly have shown attacking principles a chance every 6.6 mins
Only Man City , Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool have created more.

Villa have had the 5th most attempts with 29 shots. Only Man City ,Spurs Chelsea and Liverpool more

The 5th most on target with 11 (along with Arsenal) Only Man City,(19) Norwich& Liverpool (13) , Chelsea (12)been more accurate.

16 of 29 shots by Villa have been inside the penalty area.

On a goalscorer
McGinn has had 8 shots , 4 on target and scored 1 goal. He's always looking likely and has goals in him.

Trezeguet is a pending goal scorer as he's had all 5 of his shots in the box and a couple of  big chances.  It's only a matter of time before he nets. From the front 3 he has been most likely in his play , and the stats ,  to score.

Wesley had 3 shots all 3 on target, inside the box. He also created a big chance for Trez against Bournemouth 1st half.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:52:43 AM by Vill I An »

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »
Regards Chances and Goals what it tells us need to improve the overall quality of chances created and the finishing of Chances.

By cutting out errors in possession, improving on the ball and being more clinical in final third there is a real potential there and good reason to be optimistic.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:59:06 AM by Vill I An »

Offline bjfoster

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2019, 12:41:18 PM »
Regards Chances and Goals what it tells us need to improve the overall quality of chances created and the finishing of Chances.

By cutting out errors in possession, improving on the ball and being more clinical in final third there is a real potential there and good reason to be optimistic.

In summary then, we just have to play better then we have a chance of getting a better result.

I believe.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2019, 12:53:35 PM »
Battling 2-2 draw.

Last time we played at their place was when I realised we were down. We'd looked promising under Garde initially, but Everton beat us 4-0 without moving out of second gear.

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
I'd go in a 4-4-1-1 formation

Heaton
Guilbert Mings Engles Targett
Trezeguet Mcginn Luiz El Ghazi
                    Grealish
                     Wesley

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2019, 05:44:54 PM »
Apologies of this has been mentioned, but is this the first time Neil Taylor has faced Seamus Coleman since that bad tackle a few years ago for Wales v Ireland?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »

2-0

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 22.02.2020
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »
Can't see us scoring more than 1 tbh. Everton good at the back and we're not there yet up top. 0-0, 0-1, 1-1 something like that.

Offline passport1

• Underneath their clothes people are sheep
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2019, 06:19:21 PM »
Once again I would take a draw. As with last weeks game we are novices in this league still trying to gel as a team. Everton are big spenders ( £400m over the last three  years I believe) targeting a 6th place finish this season. A draw would be a great result.