collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread  (Read 34195 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread
« Reply #285 on: August 18, 2019, 04:16:56 PM »
5 goals in two games doesn't scream solid to me.

You have to win games and Elmo and Taylor in particular are very poor going forwards in this league.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #286 on: August 18, 2019, 04:45:02 PM »
I miss the Championship Ads who was casually predicting 10 straight wins every few months, don't like this new negative one at all (wink).

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
Part of defending is being able to be a threat when attacking and take pressure of the back four and keeper. But that also involves the full backs in our system to push on and right now ours are not doing that. Elmo and Taylor are at best solid Championship level players. We need to get Guilbert and Targett in vs Everton.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2019, 04:48:21 PM »
Can we practise set pieces and not keep taking wanky short corners, pretty please? VAR is going to lead to loads of soft penalties for pulls and such like. You won't get one if you refuse to get the ball into the area though...

Ah, we still doing that nonsense? Wasn't it West Brom in the play off game where every single corner we took was a short one and the crowd were groaning by the sixth one as they obviously weren't leading to any chances.

More odd when you think Mings would've been desperate to score yesterday and he's scored a few for us already.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2019, 05:11:28 PM »
And Engels is a giant, too.

Get it in the mixer!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2019, 05:21:26 PM »
Can we practise set pieces and not keep taking wanky short corners, pretty please? VAR is going to lead to loads of soft penalties for pulls and such like. You won't get one if you refuse to get the ball into the area though...
Whatever method we use to float the ball into the box one thing is for sure it's not Jack and John having a go at doing that who will provide the answers. We need more guile and better technique at  deliveries then these two provide.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
Part of defending is being able to be a threat when attacking and take pressure of the back four and keeper. But that also involves the full backs in our system to push on and right now ours are not doing that. Elmo and Taylor are at best solid Championship level players. We need to get Guilbert and Targett in vs Everton.
Taylor got in the penalty box twice 2nd half I would say that is pushing on!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2019, 09:22:30 PM »
Taylor got in the penalty box twice 2nd half I would say that is pushing on!

and looked completely lost both times. Elmo got a few crosses in as well, but most of them were to a defence that was facing away from goal and were from 30 yards out so pretty hard for us to win and get a header on target from.

If both fullbacks were overlapping and getting crosses in flat across the 6 yard box with defenders facing their own goal we'd look much better. This same problem has been clear at the club for years. We seem to think that it's wingers who should be putting in those crosses but that's far less common across almost all levels of football because of the way the game has changed in the last 20 years.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »
Brilliant last paragraph paul.  Crosses shovelled in from thirty yards half way from the half way line will be gobbled up by defenders all day long.  Crossers have to hit the by line then whack the ball back hard to onrushing attackers wrongfooting defenders facing their own goal

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2019, 10:20:43 PM »
Full backs are the unmarked players.  We have to make the most of them.

Online Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #295 on: August 18, 2019, 11:32:55 PM »
Is Vill I An Footy Skillz that's what I want to know !?

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #296 on: August 18, 2019, 11:39:43 PM »
Is Vill I An Footy Skillz that's what I want to know !?

I think you called that right.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #297 on: August 18, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »
Elmo may have delivered the most crosses. He didn't create much opportunity.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #298 on: August 19, 2019, 12:09:52 AM »

Ah, we still doing that nonsense? Wasn't it West Brom in the play off game where every single corner we took was a short one and the crowd were groaning by the sixth one as they obviously weren't leading to any chances.

More odd when you think Mings would've been desperate to score yesterday and he's scored a few for us already.

Short corner routines give Grealish ability to create angles and allows some real quick interplay . Actually get good chance if we can befuddle the defence , move players around and when we use it well allow for goal scoring chances . In general statistically they  provide better chances for goals than corners down to players poor delivery . With short corners bit only does it drag defending players out of position the pass for possession and becoming an open play situation gives lots of options when used effectively. The major advantage is the angle for a delivery.
It's just depend on a teams preference and playing style . It also depends on abilities of players to make good judgements on short corner routines be it practiced or improvised.
A mix of all 3 types of corners  is most suitable though I'm certainly not averse to short corners with the slick approach
Allez allez allez

Wasn't it a short corner routine that led to our goal?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #299 on: August 19, 2019, 12:20:40 AM »
Elmo may have delivered the most crosses. He didn't create much opportunity.
He did create one of two major chances in the game. Nailed it with that one where  Grealish missed the best chance of the match.Unfortunately that quality delivery was few and far between from his 11 crosses as was only one major chance created, there were a few more, but nothing with such lovely velocity as that.
Generally he needed to be far more successful, accurate and rapid with his dispatching into the penalty area.

Even that one was from very deep so the only 'chance' was for Grealish to head it home. crossing higher up the pitch between defence and keeper gives you a lot more chances for mistakes and  brings 2-3 attackers into the play (especially if you aim it to be head high at the front post). Flatter crosses, to an area rather than trying to pick out a man, are simply much more effective but they require you to be further up the pitch , from deep they tend to always be getting away from the forwards. Guilbert put 7-8 lovely flat crosses in from roughly in line with the penalty spot during pre-season, it was the thing that impressed me most about him and is why I really want him in the team, I think he'll make a massive difference. On the other side I reckon a bag of cement would have more attacking impact than Taylor.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal