collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread  (Read 34155 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Aston Villa 1-2 Bournemouth Post Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2019, 05:32:55 PM »
We played pretty well last week and lost.  We played okay this week and lost.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2019, 05:33:09 PM »
I'd like to see us go with this side against Everton.  The full backs haven't done a lot wrong to be fair but I think we need to offer more going forward, but still have the insurance of defensive midfielders.  Grealish not stuck out on the wing but floating around, as he does.  I also appreciate that you are not supposed to pick the team on the coach on the way back from the game, but here goes;
                   Heaton
Guilbert  Engels   Mings   Targett
         Nakamba   Douglas
  Grealish   McGinn  Trezeguet
                 Wesley

The problem with width is what’s the point of crosses with no aerial threat up top? Grealish missed an easy header and without him you’ve got the likes of McGinn and Taylor in the box with very little chance of getting on the end of anything.

I like the look of Wesley in a lot of aspects but he doesn’t seem to be any threat in the air, movement not great, and that doesn’t half narrow down your options going forward.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
It is early days, we have to learn and do it quickly. We have enough talent in this squad and the younger players will start to get to grips with things. Positivity and support is what’s needed over the next few weeks.

Agreed.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »
On a side note, looks like Ollie Watkins scored for Brentford again today. Could be an option in January.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2019, 05:33:43 PM »
No need to panic, but my only concern is we look very goal shy. Hopefully Wes will settle and come good, but it does look like we’ve left ourselves short up top.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »
It's early days I know but, i honestly can't see Wesley and Davis getting  into double figures, goals wise. Combined.

Maybe the solution is to play them together.

Would rip up the Dean Smith blueprint of pretty much his whole managerial career. Guess 3-5-2 is feasible with the squad but didn't he rule that out in pre season at a fans forum?

If the blueprint is get it wide to the wingers to throw in crosses for the striker he may have to rip it up, at least short term. It's well documented Wesley's main weakness is his heading. Whatever the solution, he needs to find a way to score more goals.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
The real fear is that Wesley is not dynamic enough for this level, Look at the movement and pace of Wilson and King who were feeding off scraps.
El Ghazi did very little again so I am struggling to see where the goals are coming from.

Is the expectation really that he would hit the ground running and resemble someone with a few seasons in this league under his belt?
I think the hope was that he would be good enough at this level, based on the evidence so far he isn’t.
My concerns are around his movement towards goal scoring opportunities when we attack  he seemed to be easily covered by the defenders.
He did not pose a threat in the last 2 games.

I thought he and the team looked better when he came deeper to get the ball. First half he was very isolated but came into the game as it went on. Reckon he could do with one going in off his backside!

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2019, 05:35:30 PM »
Is it ok to ask if the cobs were real cobs?

Offline Villa75

« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »
For the sake of argument, we're looking for ten wins and ten draws to be certain of stopping up. At the moment, does that look likely?

Well I had Bournemouth (game) down for a win. A draw at the very least.

I'd say it's not looking "likely", as things stand.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:57:11 PM by Villa75 »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2019, 05:36:17 PM »
The real fear is that Wesley is not dynamic enough for this level, Look at the movement and pace of Wilson and King who were feeding off scraps.
El Ghazi did very little again so I am struggling to see where the goals are coming from.

Is the expectation really that he would hit the ground running and resemble someone with a few seasons in this league under his belt?
I think the hope was that he would be good enough at this level, based on the evidence so far he isn’t.
My concerns are around his movement towards goal scoring opportunities when we attack  he seemed to be easily covered by the defenders.
He did not pose a threat in the last 2 games.

I thought he and the team looked better when he came deeper to get the ball. First half he was very isolated but came into the game as it went on. Reckon he could do with one going in off his backside!
It doesn’t change the concern that he offers no goal threat.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2019, 05:36:21 PM »
I'm hoping that once we start putting decent crosses in Wesley will bag a couple and move on from there. Benteke took some time to find his feet (albeit scoring on debut) but at the moment we're looking very square peg round hole in terms of our attacking play. Everyone is almost in the right place at the right time but getting in one another's way or not putting their heads up. Grealish especially is all over the place, and not in the good way.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2019, 05:37:13 PM »
well i thought we'd solved the goalkeeper conundrum but perhaps not - a ridiculous penalty give away before everyone had time to take their seats and we were always under pressure from then on. Admittedly, their 2nd took a big deflection but we never really threatened an experienced Bournemouth side. Wes was pretty useless to be honest - plays far too deep and offers little more than Davis, Douglas looked quite good, Trez ok. Of the other new boys, i though Engles was probably the best. Very early days, but on the evidence so far, it's going to be a tough season. Hate to say it but more resources should have gone on a couple of forwards, rather than the luxury of buys like Konsa.

Offline onebyone12

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2019, 05:40:24 PM »
I see Sturridge is linked with Monaco, are we all certian that we don't want him? I'd have him for the season sicknote or not.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2019, 05:40:46 PM »
I'd like to see us go with this side against Everton.  The full backs haven't done a lot wrong to be fair but I think we need to offer more going forward, but still have the insurance of defensive midfielders.  Grealish not stuck out on the wing but floating around, as he does.  I also appreciate that you are not supposed to pick the team on the coach on the way back from the game, but here goes;
                   Heaton
Guilbert  Engels   Mings   Targett
         Nakamba   Douglas
  Grealish   McGinn  Trezeguet
                 Wesley

The problem with width is what’s the point of crosses with no aerial threat up top? Grealish missed an easy header and without him you’ve got the likes of McGinn and Taylor in the box with very little chance of getting on the end of anything.

I like the look of Wesley in a lot of aspects but he doesn’t seem to be any threat in the air, movement not great, and that doesn’t half narrow down your options going forward.

We had 7 shots on target today and I feel, if Wesley isn't that useful, the goals have to come from elsewhere.  Targett and Guilbert are better, scoring wise that Taylor and Elmo.  All about opinions I suppose but the goals don't need to necessarily come from the centre forward alone.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2019, 05:40:57 PM »
Hard one to judge because of the disasterous first 10 minutes.

5 goals conceeded and 4 of them were individual errors. We simply have to cut that out.

I get that starting a new back line would of been a risk and keeping some continuity is sensible but we absolutely havevto get Guilbert and Targett as our full backs asap, Taylor and Elmo haven't been bad by any means but we need more agile full backs.

Luiz (cluster fuck aside) looked technically very good and comfortable in tight space, Engels and Mings comfortable again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal