collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Spurs 3 Aston Villa 1 post match thread.  (Read 42559 times)

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Spurs 3 Aston Villa 1 post match thread.
« Reply #345 on: August 12, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
Easy to forget Spurs are the only reason Man City didn't do the quadruple last season. That's the calibre of the side we lost to.

That and VAR.

Speaking of which I’m still baffled as to why VAR wasn't used to give us what appears to be a clear penalty

https://twitter.com/dvtavfc/status/1160840567905017862?s=12

It came up on the screens in the ground that it had gone to VAR for a penalty review, but it wasn't given.  They then had one for our player to be red-carded, but thankfully that was rightly not given as well.

At the time I didn't think it was a penalty but looking at that link I think it was actually a decent shout. Noticeable that none of the players appealed.

Re the red card VAR for McGinn, we saw absolutely nothing. Spoke to some Spurs fans on the train back and they said no way was it a red. I don't even think it was a yellow.

As somebody said above, we lost out on a lot of tackles and lose balls. They were quicker but also physically stronger. Once they had secured possession and territory their ability to spread the play more created gaps which wore us down. In the first half they were much more narrow and we defended very well against them.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #346 on: August 12, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »
talking about losing tackles and coming off second best physically in the second half

when Luiz came on, his first tackle could have even been his first touch he won the ball,
 probably the first time we had done the entire second half

i turned to my lad and said 'i like him already'
 he was one of the few bright things to come out of that second period

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #347 on: August 12, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »
It's also worth noting Kane's finish for their third was absolutely sublime, especially when they showed it from behind him.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #348 on: August 12, 2019, 02:56:56 PM »
talking about losing tackles and coming off second best physically in the second half

when Luiz came on, his first tackle could have even been his first touch he won the ball,

He looked to be quick as well.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #349 on: August 12, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
It's also worth noting Kane's finish for their third was absolutely sublime, especially when they showed it from behind him.

As much as it was great to see us lash out 140m on players or whatever it was, it's also important to note that if Spurs sold Kane today he's probably fetch about that much on his own. That's the gap we need to bridge, and the gap, combined with all of their other players they have that we had to bridge Saturday. And it's a bit frightening that they can bring on a 40-50m player in Erikssen to completely change the game. Which in essence he did.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #350 on: August 12, 2019, 03:17:05 PM »

He looked to be quick as well.

it was a bit of a wierd feeling actually, i was down that end of the ground (behind enemy lines) so wasn't very far away from his position on the field and was able to see him at close quaters
and he just had a presence straight away, its difficult to describe, you just felt more comfortable with him about the pitch

i know we all rush to make quick judgements (i'm the worst) but i don't think i've ever warmed to a fella as quick as this after just one tackle and looking the part

maybe it was that he didn't have to do much to be obviously better than the bloke he replaced

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #351 on: August 12, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #352 on: August 12, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
It had to happen eventually but Jamie Redknapp has finally spoken sense.

Jamie Redknapp: “A special mention has to go to Aston Villa’s John McGinn, or 'McGinniesta' as some call him. No disrespect to Tottenham's record signing Tanguy Ndombele, but McGinn looked like the £55m midfielder on the pitch at time.The guy cost £2.75m when he joined from Hibernian in 2018 but he ran the midfield and opened the scoring. It was outstanding.” [sky sports] #avfc

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #353 on: August 12, 2019, 08:52:42 PM »
Not at all how I expected us to play but pleased with it, shows we can play a certain way if needed, felt like Steve Bruce was back, which isn't a bad thing for certain games.

Grealish needs to improve big time, too slow, too sloppy on the ball and I'm a big fan.....

Watched the game in a Pub in Eindhoven, fair few spurs fans in who were all very impressed with us!

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #354 on: August 12, 2019, 10:42:39 PM »
Watching the replay on Facebook feed that does look like a penalty on SJM. Funny he didn’t make more of it really.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #355 on: August 17, 2019, 12:36:03 AM »
SJM certainly asked for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal