collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Dunne  (Read 6387 times)

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
Re: John Dunne
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 12:06:55 PM »
Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams* were the two worst goalkeepers I ever saw play for the Villa.

*He was only on loan

Don't remember Evan Williams on loan.
The only loan 'keeper I can remember is Graham Moseley (Derby County) who deputised for Jim Cumbes

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 01:32:36 PM »
Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams* were the two worst goalkeepers I ever saw play for the Villa.

*He was only on loan

Agreed, Evan Williams was poor, but he went from loan to us back to Wolves, then to Celtic where he played a lot of games.
Think he only played about 9 or 10 games for us, it was because of an injury crisis to our goalkeepers at the time and Dunn was out of favour with Docherty.
He signed the Shrewsbury keeper John Phillips, who was 18 at the time, and threw him into the Blues Derby a few days after signing him.
Phillips was a good shot stopper but prone to mistakes and dropped the ball regularly, I remember.
He played for the rest of that terrible season that saw us relegated to the third division, before Vic Crowe took over from Docherty and reinstated Dunn for the last games as we went down.
Phillips went on to be a good keeper at Chelsea, he passed away in the last year.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 08:31:54 PM »
Evan Williams was a terrible goalkeeper, by some distance the worst we have ever had.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 11:08:27 PM »
And yet, the same season he spent a short spell on loan to us, he also played in a European Cup Final with Celtic!

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 07:53:11 AM »
On goalkeepers - anyone remember, or have any info on a keeper with the surname of Sadler? Sorry I don’t know his first name. Early 60’s I’d guess.

I’ve looked in a few reference books but cannot find anything

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »
On goalkeepers - anyone remember, or have any info on a keeper with the surname of Sadler? Sorry I don’t know his first name. Early 60’s I’d guess.

Not ringing any bells. The below is probably the most extensive database listing.

http://astonvillaplayerdatabase.com/

Offline simboy

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 02:39:21 PM »

Not ringing any bells. The below is probably the most extensive database listing.

http://astonvillaplayerdatabase.com/

thanks. it was a name that got mentioned in passing whilst on other topics. Chap had his relatives telegrams telling him he was playing, meet time etc.

I will see what else i can get off him.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 07:41:46 PM »

PJ Sadler
Was on our books for 2 seasons: 1954-55 & 1955-56
Played for various youth/colts teams.
Played in the first youth cup games.
Mainly used in Birmingham & District Amateur League games.
Played in the Warwickshire Combination League & the Midland Midweek League.

Also, a quick internet search shows a Peter J Sadler born 1937 in Sutton Coldfield may well be a ‘good fit’.

Offline simboy

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 07:50:42 PM »

PJ Sadler
Was on our books for 2 seasons: 1954-55 & 1955-56
Played for various youth/colts teams.
Played in the first youth cup games.
Mainly used in Birmingham & District Amateur League games.
Played in the Warwickshire Combination League & the Midland Midweek League.

Also, a quick internet search shows a Peter J Sadler born 1937 in Sutton Coldfield may well be a ‘good fit’.

That’s him I think. Thanks.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2019, 07:58:46 PM »
I sometimes wonder how many players were on the Villa's books in the fifteen or twenty years from the end of the war. There must have been thousands.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2019, 08:10:32 PM »
I sometimes wonder how many players were on the Villa's books in the fifteen or twenty years from the end of the war. There must have been thousands.
Most likely. To think at its peak, the club were involved in 7 (seven) different leagues.
If I had access to 1940's programmes its probably something I could calculate.
So its probably best for my own sanity I don't!

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
Most likely. To think at its peak, the club were involved in 7 (seven) different leagues.
If I had access to 1940's programmes its probably something I could calculate.
So its probably best for my own sanity I don't!

Then there's all the teams who played at Villa Park during the war and in local cup finals. There's been a few occasions when someone's been convinced a deceased relative played for the Villa and point blank refused to believe that they didn't.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 11:40:52 AM »
He was a decent enough keeper, but not a fans' favourite particularly.  He kept goal in the League Cup Final v Tottenham in 1971, and throughout that season, but lost his place when we signed Jim Cumbes and never regained it. Played 118 games for us.

My recollection is that he lost his place to Tommy Hughes who in turn lost his to Cumbes.

Ah, yes, I'm sure you're right.

Yes, John Dunn was a decent keeper for the time he played - most notably as mentioned the 2 games against Man Utd in 1970 - LCSF.

I seem to recall Tommy Hughes was signed at the start of the season after that (1971-72) our second and last in the 3rd Division.  My main memory of Tommy Hughes was the table topper against promotion rivals, at the time, Notts County, when he made an absolute catalogue of mistakes during the first 85 minutes or so and was bailed out in every way possible, he had the laugh though when he saved a late penalty (from Don Masson I think ?) and amazingly we held out for a famous 1-0 win.

la

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 01:04:31 AM »
I went to that game -amazing!!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 09:09:24 AM »
So did I.  Not sure but I think I still have the programme.  Tommy Hughes and Evan Williams are the two worst 'keepers I ever saw for the Villa.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal