collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bury and Bolton and Macclesfield  (Read 11229 times)

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
Re: Bury and Bolton
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
True. And say Bolton survive then get promoted next year. A team that misses out, having lived within their means, would be pretty pissed off that the League had helped one of their rivals.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »
To be honest I couldn't care if the 2 clubs went bust but proper protection needs looking at towards the players and staff - surely there is enough money in the game to ensure that

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2020
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »
To be honest I couldn't care if the 2 clubs went bust but proper protection needs looking at towards the players and staff - surely there is enough money in the game to ensure that

Why wouldn't you care if two football clubs went to the wall?  One of those being a founder member of the football league.  Their position is very, very similar to the one we found ourselves in just a year ago, we got lucky, they haven't.  I take your point re fit and proper owners but it's the fans that have my sympathy as I know how I was feeling this time last year.  I genuinely hope both survive.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 11:34:44 PM »
Really poignant.  Especially the old chap at the end.  What an utter disgrace that these two historic clubs find themselves in this situation

https://youtu.be/0YEbZK6dnbs

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2020
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 10:32:24 AM »
The thoughts that this scenario could have been us is frightening.  Good luck Bury, I hope you make it.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2019, 02:38:21 PM »
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bury-fc-director-handcuff-protest-16791908

A former director of Bury Football Club handcuffed herself to a drainpipe at the stadium today in a protest over the club's ownership and its continuing financial plight.

League One Bury face expulsion from the Football League on Friday.

Photographs taken by the M.E.N. show Joy Hart handcuffed to a drainpipe outside the club's main reception at the Gigg Lane ground.

Her father, Les Hart, is a club legend and has a stand at the ground named after him.

Ms Hart was a club director during the 2014-15 season.

In an interview with the M.E.N. as she stood cuffed to the metal pipe, she called on Bury's wealthy Premier League neighbours to help the club in its hour of need.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 20.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2019, 02:48:42 PM »
I am surprised that their wealthier neighbours admittedly under no obligation cannot or will not help these 2 clubs.

I hope they both make it and are back playing football as soon as they can.

UTV
The Doc

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2019, 02:56:25 PM »
Iím sure United and City could help but I suppose it depends on what form that help takes and who gets the money. I wouldnít give anything if it was me with the current charlatan owners in charge at the clubs.

The EFL and the FA need to take the largest share of the blame for this and there chronic lack of due diligence, governance and a rule book around club ownership. Itís the Wild West out there and good governance and rules would help sort it out. I think any new owner should be made to provide a performance bond on taking control which could be turned to if they fuck it up or as is often the case starve clubs of funds having taken the money and run.

Offline Bren'd

• GM : 23.02.2020
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2019, 03:12:35 PM »
True. And say Bolton survive then get promoted next year. A team that misses out, having lived within their means, would be pretty pissed off that the League had helped one of their rivals.

I get that. But enough to survive this season to fulfill their fixtures and then cut their cloth accordingly. It's not new football clubs getting into difficulty.  Middlesborough were once called Middlesborough 1986 Ltd.  Over the last few decades that has been dropped back to Middlesborough.  Obviously Gibson had a big part in their recovery. Any help (loan) from the Manc clubs to Bury and Bolton could be given to a director so they are technically not giving it to the club. Just an idea.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »

I get that. But enough to survive this season to fulfill their fixtures and then cut their cloth accordingly. It's not new football clubs getting into difficulty.  Middlesborough were once called Middlesborough 1986 Ltd.  Over the last few decades that has been dropped back to Middlesborough.  Obviously Gibson had a big part in their recovery. Any help (loan) from the Manc clubs to Bury and Bolton could be given to a director so they are technically not giving it to the club. Just an idea.

Are there not rules about having a stake in more than one club in the same country? In which case would a legally drawn up loan agreement not breach those rules?

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 08:29:28 PM »
I am surprised that their wealthier neighbours admittedly under no obligation cannot or will not help these 2 clubs.

I hope they both make it and are back playing football as soon as they can.

UTV
The Doc

Well all of the Premier League clubs seemed happy enough to chip in for Scudamores retirement fund....

Sadly the Bury owners line of trade is asset stripping (apparently hes dissolved at least a dozen other businesses) and stands to gain if Bury go on Friday.

Fit and proper?  You must be joking
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:32:42 PM by BC Villain »

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 09:56:06 PM »

I'm with cd on this.  As sad it is for the supporters of both clubs, they are businesses in a competitive environment, and it wouldn't be fair to give them cash when other better run clubs don't receive anything.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 22.04.2020
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 10:52:58 PM »
I just can not work out how other clubs giving them cash will work? Even if that can be resolved it sets a bad precedent  and could discourage  other clubs from not messing up messing up their house.
Having said that I listened to Steve Dale the Bury owner  on the radio the other day and he came across as a shockingly wide-boy type operator.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 10:56:42 PM »
I'm with cd on this.  As sad it is for the supporters of both clubs, they are businesses in a competitive environment, and it wouldn't be fair to give them cash when other better run clubs don't receive anything.
They're more than just businesses though surely?  That's a rather cold way of looking at it.