collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football in Brazil and Argentina  (Read 1803 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Football in Brazil and Argentina
« on: July 23, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »
So I'm going to cross off a couple of bucket list items late November/December. Last year for my birthday I went to Phuket Thailand to visit James Bond Island. Love James Bond movies. This year I'm heading to Brazil to watch a game at the Maracana. If all works out I'll watch Flamengo in Rio, Palmeiras in Sao Paulo then head to Buenos Aires to watch either River or Boca vs a quick trip to Montevideo.

So my question has anyone else watched football in South America? Any tips?

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Football in Brazil and Argentina
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 05:39:13 PM »
In Argentina I gather you can buy tickets for the side stands, or end stands. The sides tend to be quieter and safer. The ends often have the barrios in and can be pretty raucous. Or so I've read.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 05:53:17 PM »
The ticket prices don’t look bad in Brazil or Argentina so in both I have now issue paying the extra to keep clear of the Ultra’s. And frankly getting a good view of the madness vs being in the middle of it is more appealing.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »
Went to Buenos Aires in 2017 and did 20 games in 19 days, including a trip over to Montevideo for the Penarol v Nacional Derby. Got tickets for all other games before the game except Boca and River. Used an agency for Boca and made a trip to River a couple of days before the game, after registering online as a member.
Behind the goal is generale or populare, down the sideline is platea.
Didn’t feel threatened at all, except at San Telmo Fc, where three Germans lads got battered and robbed. Basically, the bigger the club, the easier you can blend in.
Public transport is dirt cheap, so are taxis, especially if there’s more than one of you.
If they fall right , you can get three games in a day, especially at weekends.
Feel free to ask if you need more info.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »
TV contact Brazilian Villain (Gary) He knows everything about watching football in B and A. He is big Fluminense supporter.  Maracana should be great. Watched a couple of WC14 group games there. Also visit the Corinthians stadium in Sao Paulo if you can. However if you manage to get to Buenos Aires and watch Boca Juniors play at the Bombonera I will hate yes HATE you forever.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 06:44:23 PM »
Think most people say La Bombonera is better than El Monumental, as River's ground has a track around the pitch, so the atmosphere isn't as good.

Offline lennythekad

• GM : 25.01.2023
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »
It seems more intense at Boca because of the steep stands and closeness to the pitch. I’ve been to hundreds of grounds around the world, but my stomach was churning with the expectation as we approached the ground for a night game, and I wasn’t disappointed.
There was 55k at River for a Copa Libertadores game, and the atmosphere was top notch there, also.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 10:11:22 PM »
All of the stadiums have something incredible about them. I think I love River for Juan Pablo but Boca; wow Maradona, the stadium, the history also is sensational. If I do get to Boca I’ll just have to buy you a few pints when I come to watch the Villa back home Olly. And yes will contact Brazilian Villa too.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
I was in Argentina in November 2006 and managed to get to a Boca game against Quilmes. I got my tickets via the hotel - just chatted about football with the young bloke at reception and asked about getting tickets. He had a mate who didn’t go to every game and so I paid to use his season ticket. His mate even drove me to near the stadium and got me in a sort of memebers area before the game - nothing snazzy. More like an outdoors Holte pub.

The stadium was old and crumbling but I loved the sense of history there. I was on the side at the back - opposite the smaller almost vertical stand which you see across the pitch from the tv cameras. The back of the stand was a real drop behind it - imagine the back of the Holte without a roof, just a 4 feet high wall.

The atmosphere was fanTastic and raw, and both ends behind the goal made noise off every second of play. Once in each half they had a song where they all bounce and it was amazing, like a big wave. But, and this was a but, it felt like a pre-agreed sound track that did not represent the ebb and flow of the game. When Quilmes scored, there was no break in the song the Boca fans were singing, likewise when Boca were awarded a penalty. If you were outside the stadium you wouldn’t know what was happening!

So a great experience and I reckon you’ll love it.

I also visited an uncle in Córdoba on that trip and then went to Mendoza. I sneaked into the ground at the latter where Archie Gemmill scored that fabulous goal for Scotland in 1978. That stadium, one of only 4 used for that World Cup I think, was pretty dilapidated and the local team was either 3rd division or part time.

Feel free to message me if you need more info.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »
That’s a cracking tale Pat. Thanks. Right now I’m just trying to align everything. Looks like I will fly into Buenos Aires, watch Boca then fly to Rio to watch Flamengo and get in Palmeiras on the way back to Argentina.

And yes thank you. Will message you as it gets closer and I get it all booked.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »
As a general travel aside, Buenos Aires was fab, but it feels more like Madrid or Barcelona than Latin America. I think only circa 3% of the population in Argentina is of native descent. Good food and wine, as long as you like steak and pasta.

If you get the chance of a non football side trip, Iguazu falls on the Brazil / Paraguay / Argentina border are absolutely unbelievable. One of the most amazing places I have ever visited as it is a series of falls over maybe a kilometre, not a single waterfall like Niagara.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 06:08:50 PM »
PS If you go to Montevideo you can catch a ferry from Buenos Aires. Only a couple of hours I think.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 04:02:15 AM »
Both boca and river plate are must dos

But if a throw back with the police and their batons

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
PS If you go to Montevideo you can catch a ferry from Buenos Aires. Only a couple of hours I think.

Well worth it, can see the Centenario stadium. Falling to bits now but was venue for 1930 World cup final and Uruguay still play their games there. Imagine you can smell the history.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal