collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we going to do ‘a Fulham?’  (Read 23134 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Are we going to do ‘a Fulham?’
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »
If 'doing a Fulham' means getting relegated because of a wild and random approach to transfers leading to the manager being unable to implement his chosen style resulting in relegation, then no.  We appear to have take the opposite approach.  Whether the players are good enough to keep us up remains to be seen.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 02:48:22 PM »
We aren't going to do a Fulham.  We are going to do a Sir Ron..!!!! Happy times lie ahead.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 02:52:12 PM »
What most people on Twitter don't seem to realise who chuck this lazy, half-witted accusation about, is that we had about 7 recognisable first team players.  So we had to buy some players.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 02:55:39 PM »
Spending a lot of money on players after promotion didn't work too badly for Leeds, Newcastle and Blackburn in the nineties. We absolutely needed to overhaul the squad for a number of reasons. What we need to do this season is hold our nerve and stick to the plan and stick with the manager if and when we have a bad run. Fulham had three different managers during the season, similar to us on the last two occasions we went down from the top flight.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 02:56:36 PM »
No

Offline eddiemunster

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 03:47:37 PM »
No I don't believe we will.

DS has sensibly replaced overpaid, overage, snail paced under achievers IMHO with young, pacey, hungry players, with no little skill.
I well remember Hansen saying "You'll win nothing with kids" and look how that ended.
I haven't looked forward to a start to a season for a hell of a long time, but I'm certainly looking forward to this one!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2019, 04:53:51 PM »

DS has sensibly replaced overpaid, overage, snail paced under achievers IMHO with young, pacey, hungry players, with no little skill.
I well remember Hansen saying "You'll win nothing with kids" and look how that ended.
I haven't looked forward to a start to a season for a hell of a long time, but I'm certainly looking forward to this one!

So why start this thread if that is how you feel?  You have answered you're own question Eddie! ;-)

He didn't start the thread

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
Sad.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »
I've removed my posts as I am not into deliberately pissing people off.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »
How did the likes of Cairney and Sessegnon do last season for Fulham? I didn't see much of Fulham last season but those two were outstanding in the second division. Always a risk some of ours will have a similar struggle to step up but Fulham seemed to make too many late signings, displacing solid performers like Johansen, with limited pre season team building.

A lot of our transfer business was forced given the number out of contract but thankfully most of it has been done early. The three returnees shouldn't have a problem settling in for starters. Let's be realistic though, we have a new squad of players and management team in the main totally unproven in the top division. A lot of pressure will still rest on Grealish to carry the team in the early stages of the season.

Sessegnon struggled with step up really, still very young though. Cairney was in and out, picked up injury early on in the season which kept him out until November and then was in and out for rest of the season.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2019, 05:36:21 PM »
No-one knows, is the correct answer.
It's an obvious question to ask, but I agree we just don't know yet. I don't think many of us would have heard of several of our signings, so we have to keep faith that the recruitment is sound and that the players can step up and adapt quickly.

Fulhams's biggest flops were the big money ones they actually signed earlier on: Seri, Anguissa and Mawson. Although they brought in 5 on deadline day, 3 of those were loanees.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2019, 08:48:44 PM »

Hansen was probably right in that you almost certainly won't win anything with a team full of kids. But not only did those 'kids' include the Neville brothers, Butt, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs and Sharpe the team also had Schmichael, Parker, Irwin, Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Keane, Robson, Phelan, Hughes, McClair and Cantona. None of whom could be classed as kids.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »
Stupid comparison. I don't agree with even starting a post on this subject. It disrespects DS and his coaching team. To think some people wanted DS sacked after the baggies 0-2  defeat at home. Have some faith in Deano!

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »
I really don’t know. There’s a lot of continuity and reinforcements in places we really needed them.

Genuinely - we could finish anywhere between 20th and 6th this season and I wouldn’t have a clue.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 11:20:35 PM »
I don’t think we are, it feels far more planned and structured. Also importantly it’s required, whereas the scale of Fulham’s overhaul wasn’t required.

Doesn’t mean the outcome won’t be the same, clearly I hope it won’t, but spending lots of money doesn’t mean it’s reckless and poorly thought through like Fulham’s was.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal