collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crouchy (retired)  (Read 4538 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: Crouchy (retired)
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 11:38:56 PM »
Packed it in.  Another season in Burnley was too much to bear apparently!

Cracking player - thought he was great for us and got too much unfair stick.

Never let fame get to his head either - favourite quote?  "What would you be if you weren't a footballer, Peter?"

"Single"

All the best big lad!

Didn't think he was great for us.

But there were signs he was getting it together and was worth persisting with.

But going to a club like Southampton - with smaller gates and lower expectations-  meant he could go on to become their main man at the time. He might not have had that luxury at VP with two international forwards ahead of him, so probably wouldn't have gone on to enjoy the same career.

Offline danno

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2019, 03:28:47 AM »
I think he was lucky in a way that his next club was Southampton.

In so far as Beattie and Kevin Phillips were there at the time, two players who both operated differently and weren't speed merchants.

Crouch seems a bright guy and would have had to walk around with his eyes shut not to learn something training and playing with those two.

Thought we'd keep him after him and Vassell tore Chelsea a new one at the end of the season one year.

He's had a great career, had thought he'd scored more than he did though. He ended up learning to use his height to his advantage, I recall he didnt have that good a header on him when he was with us and preferred the ball to feet.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2019, 03:43:54 AM »
Great player, great guy, lovely family. I hope he goes on to fashion a career in the media.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2019, 04:00:34 AM »
Lovely guy? Didn’t he allegedly cheat on his stunning wife with a prostitute while she was pregnant?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2019, 04:19:49 AM »
Not the best player we’ve ever had at the club, but always had a smile on his face- clearly enjoyed the game. As he said, maybe he was a bit too young when he joined. I enjoyed watching him for Villa and England.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2019, 04:25:07 AM »
Lovely guy? Didn’t he allegedly cheat on his stunning wife with a prostitute while she was pregnant?

I note the word allegedly!  I wasn't aware of that to be honest. We know not if it was true or if Abbey wasn't putting out! All men have needs. (Just to be clear, I am joking and, if true, I take back the comment about him being a great guy).

Offline Damo70

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »

I note the word allegedly!  I wasn't aware of that to be honest. We know not if it was true or if Abbey wasn't putting out! All men have needs. (Just to be clear, I am joking and, if true, I take back the comment about him being a great guy).

I don't know if she was a prostitute or not but I do remember him being caught out having a one night stand on a lads holiday. Although I also seem to recall a newspaper story of his wife having a fling too (although I think it was when she was his girlfriend).

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »

I don't know if she was a prostitute or not but I do remember him being caught out having a one night stand on a lads holiday. Although I also seem to recall a newspaper story of his wife having a fling too (although I think it was when she was his girlfriend).

What I'm sure of is that it isn't really any of our business, no?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2019, 11:35:37 AM »
Enjoyed his book, I listened to it on Audiobooks after it came out about a year ago. The Crouch BBC podcasts came out soon after but it looked a bit too Peak-Crouchy for me with young(ish) football journalists called "Fenners" or "Tubes" trying to extract as much bantz as possible from him, clocking that Crouchy is one of the few normal footballers who is both articulate and possesses a sense of humour.

From reading his comments on retiring and him saying that he still felt fit enough to keep playing, I'm surprised that he didn't decide to drop down a league or two, maybe go back to o QPR if he was sick of only coming on for the last ten minutes of games over the past couple of years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal