collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 342048 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: VAR
« Reply #1065 on: November 14, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »
Anyone hear Purslow on the radio earlier?  The PL big wigs have had a meeting with Riley’s lot and made it clear how pissed off they are and want changes in speed of decision making, communication to the fans and videos of the incidents being looked at.  Christian comes across so well it must be said.  Glad he’s our CEO.

Hopefully referees being told to use pitchside monitors as well.
They have issued a statement saying that they will continue to use the monitors "sparingly"

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1066 on: November 14, 2019, 09:53:21 PM »
Never ceases to amaze how often blinkered idiots get handed the controls to something.  But Football has a long history of it.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1067 on: November 15, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »
It's supposed to be clear and obvious.  What was so fucking clear and obvious about Sheffield United's disallowed goal last week. 

Offline KRS

« Reply #1068 on: November 15, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »
It was clear and obvious that it was scored against Spurs.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1069 on: November 15, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »
It was clear and obvious that it was scored against Spurs.

Very good.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #1070 on: November 15, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »
If they are to continue with VAR, I like the idea of limiting the decision making time to say something like 30 seconds.
So the Sheffield United goal would have stood, because they wouldn't have time to bring up all the lines and micro check the details.

Id prefer not to have it at all, but if are going to be subjected to it perhaps that would speed up the process plus it would fit in with the clear and obvious agenda.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1071 on: November 15, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
The big point was about the spontaneity of celebration, which is the heart of the game, being killed.
It's the number one reason why i believe var will ultimitely fail. I am also of the opinion that it's been deliberately sabotaged by the referees. The game belongs to the clubs and the fans not the bloody refs. They should be held responsible for this current fuckfest. What's to stop the PL setting up a kind of refereeing training centre? Train up some new guys to a high standard and get rid of the current crop? After all not one was adjudged good enough for the last world cup.
Oh, VAR Will not 'fail' - the genie is out of the bottle, and VAR will prevail - the issue is in what format the technology will ultimately be used. As I said on the previous page, the problem is with its application and - perhaps more importantly - with the concept that referees should judge whether to apply the rules or not: I think our Friend deliberately blew his whistle at CP in order not to have to go through a VAR Appeal, and that judgement call makes me very cynical. My cynicism was deepened against Liverpool, when VAR checked for a penalty after having already booked Mane for diving (how weird was that?!).

Offline The Edge

« Reply #1072 on: November 15, 2019, 09:27:23 PM »
The big point was about the spontaneity of celebration, which is the heart of the game, being killed.
It's the number one reason why i believe var will ultimitely fail. I am also of the opinion that it's been deliberately sabotaged by the referees. The game belongs to the clubs and the fans not the bloody refs. They should be held responsible for this current fuckfest. What's to stop the PL setting up a kind of refereeing training centre? Train up some new guys to a high standard and get rid of the current crop? After all not one was adjudged good enough for the last world cup.
Oh, VAR Will not 'fail' - the genie is out of the bottle, and VAR will prevail - the issue is in what format the technology will ultimately be used. As I said on the previous page, the problem is with its application and - perhaps more importantly - with the concept that referees should judge whether to apply the rules or not: I think our Friend deliberately blew his whistle at CP in order not to have to go through a VAR Appeal, and that judgement call makes me very cynical. My cynicism was deepened against Liverpool, when VAR checked for a penalty after having already booked Mane for diving (how weird was that?!).
Maybe it can survive but it will have to be very different to the crap we're seeing at the moment. As London Villan said above ^^ it's ruining the spontaneity of celebrating a goal which is the very essence of going to a match. That has got to stop. Come the business end of the season and var costs a club a title or a cup or is responsible for relegating someone, there could be ructions. The shit could hit the fan big time then who knows what would happen?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:04:45 AM by The Edge »

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #1073 on: November 16, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »
Is there anyone on here, or anyone who has spoken to another football fan, who would currently give VAR 7/10? I think this clearly demonstrates how out of touch these tw*ts really are.

Thanks to the poster for pointing out that Jack is booked for diving, so can't be checked on VAR, while Mane is booked for diving, and the decision is duly checked by VAR.

Two completely different approaches to identical situations. it would be nice to put it down to both refs being horrendously shite/corrupt, but the system is as bad as they are -some achievement!!

After Sunday, I would clone Michael Oliver and Andrew Taylor repeatedly until shite refs are driven out of the game. Pawson isn't too bad, either. Who was the ref who covered the home game against Millwall last season? He was very good.

Anyone else think of any refs who would make the quality cut?

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #1074 on: November 16, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »
I was reluctant to post this as I expect to be shot down in flames but it has been nagging at me. At the Liverpool game I was on the front row of Trinity Middle right behind the ref assistant when he flagged Firmino offside. He looked well off and around me fans were wondering what VAR was checking. I suspect that the freeze frame was  before the ball was played and before he moved offside.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #1075 on: November 17, 2019, 01:04:38 PM »
I was reluctant to post this as I expect to be shot down in flames but it has been nagging at me. At the Liverpool game I was on the front row of Trinity Middle right behind the ref assistant when he flagged Firmino offside. He looked well off and around me fans were wondering what VAR was checking. I suspect that the freeze frame was  before the ball was played and before he moved offside.
That hits the nail on the head for me. The offside rule is as follows "if a attacking player is deemed to be in front of the last defender WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED he will be judged to be offside" How can they give a player offside for the width of his boot leather when they can't tell the precise moment the ball leaves the pasding players boot? It simply can't be that accurate. It's total nonsense and i'm waiting for a club to challenge this when a goal is disallowed for such a fine margin which costs that club dearly.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #1076 on: November 17, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »
That hits the nail on the head for me. The offside rule is as follows "if an attacking player is deemed to be in front of the last defender WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED he will be judged to be offside" How can they give a player offside for the width of his boot leather when they can't tell the precise moment the ball leaves the pasding players boot? It simply can't be that accurate. It's total nonsense and i'm waiting for a club to challenge this when a goal is disallowed for such a fine margin which costs that club dearly.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #1077 on: November 17, 2019, 01:18:40 PM »
Is there anyone on here, or anyone who has spoken to another football fan, who would currently give VAR 7/10? I think this clearly demonstrates how out of touch these tw*ts really are.

Thanks to the poster for pointing out that Jack is booked for diving, so can't be checked on VAR, while Mane is booked for diving, and the decision is duly checked by VAR.

Two completely different approaches to identical situations. it would be nice to put it down to both refs being horrendously shite/corrupt, but the system is as bad as they are -some achievement!!

After Sunday, I would clone Michael Oliver and Andrew Taylor repeatedly until shite refs are driven out of the game. Pawson isn't too bad, either. Who was the ref who covered the home game against Millwall last season? He was very good.

Anyone else think of any refs who would make the quality cut?
I would advocate a referees college where they could recruit younger and fitter therefore more suitable people for the job. They could be trained to a high standard before replacing the ones we currently use.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1078 on: November 17, 2019, 03:56:31 PM »
That hits the nail on the head for me. The offside rule is as follows "if a attacking player is deemed to be in front of the last defender WHEN THE BALL IS PLAYED he will be judged to be offside" How can they give a player offside for the width of his boot leather when they can't tell the precise moment the ball leaves the pasding players boot? It simply can't be that accurate. It's total nonsense and i'm waiting for a club to challenge this when a goal is disallowed for such a fine margin which costs that club dearly.
I agree if they are downto millimeters they are in to split seconds and there is no way they can be absolutely certain.
Because they have said offside has to be based on fact and not obvious error they ave fucked themselves completely. Idiots

Offline The Edge

« Reply #1079 on: November 17, 2019, 05:17:46 PM »
I agree if they are downto millimeters they are in to split seconds and there is no way they can be absolutely certain.
Because they have said offside has to be based on fact and not obvious error they ave fucked themselves completely. Idiots
I've had this debate with a few var lovers but for some reason they can't or won't accept the point. They churn out offside is offside even if it is a millimetre. When i say to them if you're giving offside for millimetres you have to be certain of the precise moment the ball leaves the passing players boot they switch off or say i'm being pedantic. But i'm not. I'm really not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal