collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 50958 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
Re: VAR
« Reply #645 on: October 20, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
Teams should have a challenge/review per half, like cricket.

That would create even more chaos. I say scrap VAR completely because itís shit. We spent hours last night talking about a goal that was disallowed incorrectly and I thought VAR was supposed to put an end to all that.

I think there is a place for it, but the whole idea of of video technology in sport is to eradicate the 'howler' decisions.  It needs to be far more lenient in allowing an advantage for the goal scorers. 

I would like to see the off side rule change to the whole body being offside not just a part of it and it having to be a definite mistake by the ref to overturn a decision made on the field (not like yesterday).

But if a team could appeal, who would they appeal to? We're on the wrong end of the second decision, not the first.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #646 on: October 20, 2019, 09:33:23 AM »
Watching the rugby today, with the ref micíd up etc....can the fans in the ground hear whatís happening? Guess not....but seems better than footballs approach.

I felt pretty deflated about going to the matches after the last couple of VAR incidents. I find myself doing very half arsed celebrations and waiting for the ref to put his hand to his hear. Shit isnít it

Yes if the fans buy a radio thingy for a tenner. They can choose to listen to the referee or commentary.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #647 on: October 20, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
I've seen the disallowed goal twice now and I still can't work out why it was chalked off. Wesley did jump in front of the keeper but the ball then went out wide and was played back in to Conor so the keeper was able to get back into place and make a save. Utterly farcical.

Offline DB

« Reply #648 on: October 20, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
I've seen the disallowed goal twice now and I still can't work out why it was chalked off. Wesley did jump in front of the keeper but the ball then went out wide and was played back in to Conor so the keeper was able to get back into place and make a save. Utterly farcical.

It wasnít exactly a clear and obvious error from the ref for the VAR guys to get involved.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #649 on: October 20, 2019, 09:44:43 AM »

It wasnít exactly a clear and obvious error from the ref for the VAR guys to get involved.

Yes. It's almost as if they are making up rules as they go along and taking the piss.

Online themossman

• GM : 14.02.2018
« Reply #650 on: October 20, 2019, 09:48:44 AM »
Exactly. Itís the kind of thing that could or could not be given and if the red blew up before the goal nobody would be taking about it. But if itís a clear error by the ref Iím a monkeyís uncle.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 14.06.2019
« Reply #651 on: October 20, 2019, 10:12:08 AM »

After yesterday, VAR should get involved with everything. Get involved with the foul and card given against Conor, which were blatantly incorrect. That was clear and obvious. Chalk off Brightons goal, as it wasn't a free kick in the first place.

I thought VP was extremely loud in its condemnation of VAR yesterday. Shame the powers that be won't be listening.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 18.07.2017
« Reply #652 on: October 20, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
On top of making stupid decisions it is spoiling the experience for match going fans for the benefit of the TV companies who love the additional talking points for their pundits to analyse to the nth degree.

Scrap it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #653 on: October 20, 2019, 10:30:51 AM »
Why wasn't their free kick that they scored from reviewed? Hourihane quite obviously wins the ball and there is no foul at all.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #654 on: October 20, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
Why wasn't their free kick that they scored from reviewed? Hourihane quite obviously wins the ball and there is no foul at all.

No fan of VAR at all, but its for game changing decisions. The FK was in a fairly innocous area and we defended it abysmally.

Going down that route Brighton could easily ask for the blatant Targett foul on the edge of the box to be reviewed.

Offline Bobby Boy

« Reply #655 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:40 AM »
I've been a Villa fan for 45 years and Grealish's equaliser was the first time that I can remember not celebrating a Villa goal as it happened. I feel now that I can't trust anything I'm seeing. Celebrating after the kick off is really, really not the same but that's what VAR is reducing things to.

Maybe I have faulty recall but I cannot remember feeling robbed as I've left a game because of a bad refereeing decision but VAR is fundamentally affecting my enjoyment of watching a game.

It's wretched.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #656 on: October 20, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
Had a quick look on a Brighton forum, North Stand Chat, and even they were saying the decision to rule out the goal was ridiculous.  Seem a mostly decent bunch on there.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #657 on: October 20, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
Its shit. You shouldn't have to wait until the game has restarted to celebrate a goal, but that is what it is coming to.

Online Brassneck

« Reply #658 on: October 20, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »

No fan of VAR at all, but its for game changing decisions. The FK was in a fairly innocous area and we defended it abysmally.

Going down that route Brighton could easily ask for the blatant Targett foul on the edge of the box to be reviewed.

Which is fine because it would have been a fair and correct decision.  Instead, we had a ridiculous booking against one of our players and Brighton were disadvantaged.

The problem is that VAR is creating more contentious talking points than it is solving disputes.

Yesterday alone, we saw around 3 astonishing decisions across 4 different games - Ours, Leicester, Spurs and even the Wolves offside was crazy even if technically correct.  There are more wrong VAR calls than there are correct ones.  Therefore, currently, VAR has made the game worse.

For it to work properly, there needs to be clear and concise guidelines/agreements drawn up on how it is to be implemented.  Currently, there is no consistency and in our case yesterday, one man's opinion (on Wesley's challenge) overruled the referee's opinion on it.  VAR should assist refs, not take decisions away from them unless it is something blatant that has been missed.  This was the case with the Arsenal handball against us a few weeks ago and we begrudgingly accepted it.  Yesterday, the exact opposite happened and we were the victims of somebody stepping in direct contrast to what happened at Arsenal.

I wonder how many managers are supportive of VAR at this point?  Listening to Sean Dyche last night, he still seems to be, despite one of the most appalling VAR shouts thus far - Another one where one man's opinion on an incident overruled the ref's opinion.

The delays are also frustrating and people are now becoming less inclined to react to real live action and are more likely to wait for a VAR ruling.  Wolves suffered from this yesterday because the margin was so close, as did we against Burnley a few weeks back.

There needs to be a meeting of all those involved in VAR.  What could and should be a revolutionary improvement of the game is actually ruining it. 

Offline john e

• GM : 23.01.20
« Reply #659 on: October 20, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »
Letís face it we hate VAR because every single decision has gone against us and cost us points

I wonder how we would feel if every decision had gone for us and we were sitting in the top 6