collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: VAR  (Read 343418 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: VAR
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Not impressed with what I’ve seen so far, against.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
It's a necessary evil. There is so much (money) riding on games these days that when a referee makes a mistake the cost can be astronomical. I agree that it needs to be quicker though as it breaks the flow of the game and disconnects the fans thereby diminishing the atmosphere.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 05:01:08 PM »
Decisions to the letter of the law are correct, but being used for far to much of what goes on and is so slow - so overall it’s a no from me

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2019, 05:07:48 PM »
I saw a tweet that sums up VAR for me.

Football isn’t supposed to be perfect. VAR is unnecessary.

Then that applies to every single sport with a similar technology to assist refs make calls. Wimbledon will be constantly adjudicated by that magic eye thing for balls that are in or out. It’s hard to imagine the game now without it. Football is a different sport off course and VAR needs to be used way more sparingly to get the most critical decisions right.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
Managers make mistakes, players make mistakes yet we have expect perfection from the officials. If the technology was slicker and didn’t take an age then I might have more time for it but as it stands I am firmly against.

Online frank black

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »
Hate it with a passion. Half the crowd will celebrate a goal the other half (glass half empty folks) like me will just stare at the ref for a minute or two awaiting the disallowed goal. No spontaneous limbs anymore

Offline He wears a magic hat

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 05:20:21 PM »
I've voted against purely on what I have seen so far.

For me I don't want to see goals disallowed because the strikers foot is offside or a player was 6 inches offside in the build up to a goal. I still want the officials to be able to officiate the game.

What I would like to see is 'referees/linesmans call' similar to that of umpires call in cricket. For instance the recent goals scored by England in the nations league and the goal scored by the lioness' last night. In both instances the linesman didn't flag and not a single player complained. In essence it was simply to close to call and should revert to referees call and the goals stand. The reversal of the decision killed to game for both players and supporters. VAR will stop the immediate euphoria of scoring.

I also don't want to see penalties given for the slightest touch. Football is a physical game and contact is part and parcel of the game. The problem with VAR is that in slow motion all/any contact has to result in a penalty and that can't be right.

VAR has its place in that it need to be there to overturn the really bad decisions it should be used for what are marginal or minimal contact decision.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »
I think it completely ruins football. There’s literally no point celebrating goals anymore.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »
For, but it needs work.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2019, 05:25:05 PM »
For it in theory but the application and efficiency of it are key. Using last year's World Cup as an example, it was being used all the time in the group stage and then far less in the knock-out stages. It should be used for glaring mistakes and nobody wants to be waiting several minutes for a decision.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »
I'm going to say for with the caveat that it has to be carried out a lot better than it is now. It's all a bit lost headed at the moment, but I have confidence it will get a lot better. The England game last night showed that we deserved a penalty and we were offside, which I think on balance is better than not getting those and other similar decisions right.

If it could stop grown men rolling on the floor like they've been shot then I'd have it imposed on all leagues.

Online frank black

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 05:36:20 PM »
I'm going to say for with the caveat that it has to be carried out a lot better than it is now. It's all a bit lost headed at the moment, but I have confidence it will get a lot better. The England game last night showed that we deserved a penalty and we were offside, which I think on balance is better than not getting those and other similar decisions right.

If it could stop grown men rolling on the floor like they've been shot then I'd have it imposed on all leagues.

That in my opinion wasn’t a penalty. Two players crossed and she bought her leg back to shoot and guess what contact was made. We are going to get loads of penalties with VAR, rules are still open to interpretation. Don’t start me on the handball bollocks rule change either oh my days

Offline AllanW

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 05:39:52 PM »
'Against' until they correct the current damaging problems with it.

I agree that the most blatant refereeing mistakes cause a problem for the game now but the solution isn't what we have been shown to date with this technology. It CAUSES too many time delays in the flow of the game and produces too many occasions which are marginal.

If they kept it out of the game on the pitch UNLESS the VAR officials spotted a completely blatant and decisive  major event then I might change my mind but it only causes problems for the game at the moment so get rid.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »
I think it completely ruins football. There’s literally no point celebrating goals anymore.

Don't be silly.

Online frank black

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 05:41:33 PM »

Don't be silly.

There is you just have to wait a couple of minutes

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal