collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Jack Grealish by Ads
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by kieron
[Today at 07:21:31 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by ROBBO
[Today at 07:12:45 AM]

Re: Tom Fox announced as new Villa CEO by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 01:36:26 AM]

Re: Meaning Evil. Stirring trouble by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:52:09 AM]

Re: Tom Fox announced as new Villa CEO by eamonn
[Today at 12:51:16 AM]

Re: Chelsea Away by Brassneck
[Today at 12:17:31 AM]

Re: Chelsea Away by QuintonVilla
[November 18, 2019, 11:26:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matt Targett - signed  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Matt Targett - signed
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2019, 03:50:29 PM »
I didnít think he was any more than adequate in his general play but what did impress me were the forward positions he took up, it meant we had width and numbers much higher up the field than we have had previously.

Promising.

Agreed. He was rarely tested defensively which is ideal when you're making your home debut. In front of him both Conor and Jack were busy and helped out a lot, a massive improvement on the left side (compared to Taylor/AEG) which allowed him to advance every now and then. His determined run leading to the VAR goal was great to see. He can also swing a decent cross.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2019, 03:38:31 PM »
The free kick attempt he had was woeful but he's up in the penalty box in the 94 minute and lashed home the winner !! The clear value of an attacking left back.
Attacking wise he's a udder of fresh milk !
As we know Taylor short comings in his attacking forrays .

By all accounts defensively Targett wasn't brilliant and will likely have a torrid time in defense next Saturday against Man city.
However it's the right side of the fullback and position that is more concerning regards chances given up and that Guilbert despite many good things is found wanting both in positioning and being beaten or preventing crosses.

But what I enjoy about Targett is his movement forward and his providing of opportunities in his crosses , which though mixed, is offering an attacking contribution .
Brilliant goal and I can't help thinking what Tayls would have done in the 94th min.
But I think he wouldn't even be in the pen box!
Well done Matty ! Hopefully he stays fit and can actually be a contender for England left back once as he develops
Has all the attributes!
Great signing!

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 15.03.2020
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2019, 03:43:08 PM »
An udder of fresh milk. Haha.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 13.04.2020
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
The free kick attempt he had was woeful but he's up in the penalty box in the 94 minute and lashed home the winner !! The clear value of an attacking left back.
Attacking wise he's a udder of fresh milk !
As we know Taylor short comings in his attacking forrays .

By all accounts defensively Targett wasn't brilliant and will likely have a torrid time in defense next Saturday against Man city.
However it's the right side of the fullback and position that is more concerning regards chances given up and that Guilbert despite many good things is found wanting both in positioning and being beaten or preventing crosses.

But what I enjoy about Targett is his movement forward and his providing of opportunities in his crosses , which though mixed, is offering an attacking contribution .
Brilliant goal and I can't help thinking what Tayls would have done in the 94th min.
But I think he wouldn't even be in the pen box!
Well done Matty ! Hopefully he stays fit and can actually be a contender for England left back once as he develops
Has all the attributes!
Great signing!

Not having a pop, genuine question, Iím curious if are you basing your analysis of both full backs on having watched the whole game? (Just the the Ďby all accountsí suggests maybe not, and seems a very full opinion if you didnít?) Not suggesting itís not necessarily valid either.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2019, 04:26:25 PM »
He was mostly crap on Saturday in an all round play sort of way, but he does get forward to join in attacks.  He's got an assist and a goal in his last two games, which will do for from a left back. I'm certain his general play will improve once he's fully up to speed, and then we'll have a very good player on our hands.  As john e rightly said earlier, the days of the likes of Taylor "not doing much wrong" are hopefully behind us.  I'd be getting Hause on the bench now, because he seemed to like going forward as well.  I hope that Taylor isn't picked against Man City for supposedly being better defensively.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »
Yes I saw whole game .
And I was also talking generally regards right side issues.
That I stats based and also from observations and know hows.
Excuse my English. I felt by all accounts covered it. But I understand why you may ask as it may have been garbles .
The issue the full backs can have is thw lack of support or tracking back by wide forwards.
Targett gave ball away a few times and actually did a foul which wasn't given them Hourihane is booked for a fine tackle.
Did one good ball cross in and was strugglings few time defending
Anyway I like Targett he's a real attacking fullback and Guilbert too who reminds me of  Kyle Walmart

Offline Risso

« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2019, 04:37:38 PM »
Kyle Walmart!! 😂

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 18.07.2017
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2019, 05:18:06 PM »
Kyle Walmart!! 😂

That Asda be the best auto correct ever.

Online kieron

« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2019, 05:41:51 PM »

Offline Risso

« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2019, 05:45:13 PM »
https://www.walmart.com/store/4130/kyle-tx

When on holiday in America, I like to walk around a Walmart taking photos of all the products called "cream pie" eg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yoplait-Light-Boston-Cream-Pie-Fat-Free-Yogurt-6-Oz/10320986

A man's got to have a hobby.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2019, 11:19:43 PM »
Still probably not fully fit just yet.  Reminds me a bit of Lowton when he was with us.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2019, 04:18:55 AM »
So want him to be the man but was way short on Saturday bar the goal of course. Would play Taylor or hause at city

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »
So want him to be the man but was way short on Saturday bar the goal of course. Would play Taylor or hause at city

Neil Taylor? Against Manchester City? What are you smoking?

The last game Neil Taylor played for us was his substitute appearance vs Burnley when he came on for Targett around the 62 minute mark. 5 minutes later he was culpable for their first goal via some terrible marking against Rodriguez who out-muscled him as if he were a schoolboy to head home. He was culpable again for their second when Lowton made him look a mug and crossed the ball as if he weren't even there for Wood for finish off.

If he can't defend against the likes of Rodriguez and Lowton he will get eaten alive by the quality of City's attack. The same might happen to Targett for all I know, but at least he won't look like one of the chuckle brothers in possession.

Offline Risso

« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2019, 04:16:20 PM »

The last game Neil Taylor played for us was his substitute appearance vs Burnley when he came on for Targett around the 62 minute mark. 5 minutes later he was culpable for their first goal via some terrible marking against Rodriguez who out-muscled him as if he were a schoolboy to head home. He was culpable again for their second when Lowton made him look a mug and crossed the ball as if he weren't even there for Wood for finish off.

If he can't defend against the likes of Rodriguez and Lowton he will get eaten alive by the quality of City's attack. The same might happen to Targett for all I know, but at least he won't look like one of the chuckle brothers in possession.

Agreed, on top of which Hause hasn't even been in the squad at all this season.  I'm more than happy with the way Targett is progressing, and I think his introduction to the squad has really helped Grealish flourish.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2019, 05:31:59 PM »

Agreed, on top of which Hause hasn't even been in the squad at all this season.  I'm more than happy with the way Targett is progressing, and I think his introduction to the squad has really helped Grealish flourish.

We just look a better team in general and it's in small part down to the fact that teams can't just ignore our fullbacks getting the ball. Throwing that away on the basis that Taylor is a marginally better defender is the sort of thinking that saw Bruce still getting support right up until he got his P45.