collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shrews away: Match Thread  (Read 25459 times)

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Re: Shrews away: Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: July 21, 2019, 07:16:28 PM »
No keeper besides Steer today?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #196 on: July 21, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »
This might be heresy, but I'm not sure SJM is going to be good enough for the Premier League.  Hope I'm wrong.
That has crossed my mind, actually.
Yes I know what you are saying, he is unorthodox in the way he plays and maybe difficult to fit into a system and still get the best out of him.
He is the sort of player that potentially could impact a game though.
It will be interesting to see if he adapts to the step up.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »
The earlier comment about Jack needing to move the ball more quickly: absolutely agree with that.  He got away with it in the 2nd tier but will get caught out in the Premier League. Speed of thought and action is imperative for all our players.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #198 on: July 21, 2019, 07:36:20 PM »
This might be heresy, but I'm not sure SJM is going to be good enough for the Premier League.  Hope I'm wrong.
That has crossed my mind, actually.
Yes I know what you are saying, he is unorthodox in the way he plays and maybe difficult to fit into a system and still get the best out of him.
He is the sort of player that potentially could impact a game though.
It will be interesting to see if he adapts to the step up.

I think he will be just fine. He could well struggle against top 6, probably all our team will given the standard Man. City and Liverpool have grown to in time we've been away.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #199 on: July 21, 2019, 07:37:58 PM »
Jack signing off with a 'God bless'. He's certainly a character.

'Mings pings' was another favourite, as was listening to him taking about himself in the third person.

Up the Villa!

He is very religious, single and still lives with his Mom.

Offline Legion

« Reply #200 on: July 21, 2019, 07:38:44 PM »
Oh, fuck. I've morphed into eastie.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #201 on: July 21, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »
Jack signing off with a 'God bless'. He's certainly a character.

'Mings pings' was another favourite, as was listening to him taking about himself in the third person.

Up the Villa!

He is very religious, single and still lives with his Mom.

I knew he was a true believer as it were, but please tell me you're joking on the latter point...

Offline Legion

« Reply #202 on: July 21, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »
Not a joke.

Online KRS

« Reply #203 on: July 21, 2019, 07:57:36 PM »
The earlier comment about Jack needing to move the ball more quickly: absolutely agree with that.  He got away with it in the 2nd tier but will get caught out in the Premier League. Speed of thought and action is imperative for all our players.
It’s usually most teams tactic to close him down quickly or double on him, but I think part of the problem/solution here is having players around him that move and make themselves available. As an example, today there were a bunch of statues ahead of him so the only options he had most of the time was to hold onto the ball or pass it backwards/sideways. He needs support from better players than what was out there today, so it’s important that the new players we bring in midfield and up front are on his wavelength.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:59:18 PM by KRS »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #204 on: July 21, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »
I think McGinn will be fine. He may turn out to look ordinary against the top teams (or maybe not) but he'll be the difference in some of the games against the lesser teams because he works ridiculously hard and generally uses the ball well, he'll make a big difference to our overall possession stats in such games. This'll keep us on the front foot which was what happened in some of the games that we won last season.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #205 on: July 21, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »
It’s usually most teams tactic to close him down quickly or double on him, but I think part of the problem/solution here is having players around him that move and make themselves available. As an example, today there were a bunch of statues ahead of him so the only options he had most of the time was to hold onto the ball or pass it backwards/sideways. He needs support from better players than what was out there today, so it’s important that the new players we bring in midfield and up front are on his wavelength.

Absolutely agree with this on both points.  Move the ball quicker, but have players around Jack who can receive the ball in any position and be on the same wavelength.  This is something that I am sure that Dean sees too.  Once the 11 starters are named, I hope that they are all of a quality and better than what we had today. 

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2019, 09:31:23 PM »
Had the great pleasure of briefly meeting Border Villain and Sadd Villain this evening when they turned up at my local post-match.

We agreed that Wesley looks a real talent and that Hogan is shit and needs shipped out asap.

See you again soon, I hope. UTV.

Rodders

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2019, 09:43:26 PM »

Absolutely agree with this on both points.  Move the ball quicker, but have players around Jack who can receive the ball in any position and be on the same wavelength.  This is something that I am sure that Dean sees too.  Once the 11 starters are named, I hope that they are all of a quality and better than what we had today. 

It was a pre season game and thought his fitness looked good

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2019, 10:20:29 PM »
Had the great pleasure of briefly meeting Border Villain and Sadd Villain this evening when they turned up at my local post-match.

We agreed that Wesley looks a real talent and that Hogan is shit and needs shipped out asap.

See you again soon, I hope. UTV.

Rodders
Rodders, the pleasure was all yours😉
Great to see a fellow fan at Ratchap. We walk the dog and visit the Bridges from time to time and live in ‘anud.
Sadd Villan is on tour from the  grim north.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:49:28 PM by Border villan »

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2019, 10:31:27 PM »

Yes, however, like others here, I think they are trying out what they have been practicing at BMH and that maybe Jack is playing more of a supportive role in the team at the moment. I have seen him move faster!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal