collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Children of the Revolution book  (Read 15186 times)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Children of the Revolution book
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 08:34:49 AM »
On a slightly different slant I’ve just found an original 1960 copy of Peter Morris History of Aston Villa book. Can’t wait to get started...

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 09:17:34 AM »
I had a copy of Peter Morris's The First Hundred Years, which I picked up for 10p in a jumble sale circa 1985.  Unfortunately, it wasn't in great condition when I got it and I subsequently binned it after a couple of reads. A pity.

As we're fast approaching the sesquicentenary (yes, I had to look it up), perhaps one of the esteemed authors amongst us might consider penning a successor?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 09:22:55 AM »
Be nice if we can do something good in 2024. 1974 was a bit shit and we lost a cup final in 1924.

A second European Cup would be a nice way to round off the first 150 years and, no doubt, a nice moneyspinner for the Woodhalls of this world.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:26:05 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »
I doubt any niche book about Aston Villa would be a moneyspinner for anyone.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 11:40:27 AM »
I borrowed Chico’s copy to read.

Strangely, you get some grit in your eyes in places.

Whitehead writes brilliantly.

He started writing a history of our FA cup exploits which never saw the light of day. He sent me a couple of chapters he’d completed and they were fantastically well written and researched.

He works for Wisden now.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »

Quality writing by an impoverished author on a club that matters to them brings more to the genre than yet another Liverpool/Man Utd/etc picture book knocked off before lunch by a monied hack.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »
Brilliant book, only criticism I'd have of it is that the author write that history doesn't neatly fit in to decades at the start, but then stops the book in 1979 rather than carry on to 1982, which would seem the more obvious year to me - write about the club going from its lowest point to its highest.

But regardless, it's a fantastic book, superbly written.

There's a reason for that but you can't speak ill of it.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 12:10:33 PM »

Quality writing by an impoverished author on a club that matters to them brings more to the genre than yet another Liverpool/Man Utd/etc picture book knocked off before lunch by a monied hack.

I couldn't agree more. I'm just saying that it's unlikely to spin much money, which is probably why it hasn't been written yet. Writers have to make a living too.

Online atomicjam

• GM : 07.04.2019
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 12:13:01 PM »
There are a few on Amazon for around Ł30 if anyone else is after this book-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0946866511/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
Brilliant book, only criticism I'd have of it is that the author write that history doesn't neatly fit in to decades at the start, but then stops the book in 1979 rather than carry on to 1982, which would seem the more obvious year to me - write about the club going from its lowest point to its highest.

But regardless, it's a fantastic book, superbly written.

There's a reason for that but you can't speak ill of it.

He’d have to change the subtitle wouldn’t he? If I’m remembering it correctly.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 10:10:19 PM »
What's the book and that classic anecdote of the author finding himself in Aston Hall with Pongo Waring, and thinking the legend isn't listening to him until Pongo pipes up with heart-pulling Villa goodness?  It gets me every time.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 10:19:08 PM »
What's the book and that classic anecdote of the author finding himself in Aston Hall with Pongo Waring, and thinking the legend isn't listening to him until Pongo pipes up with heart-pulling Villa goodness?  It gets me every time.

Peter Morris: The First 100 Years.

"Every time you come back here it must bring back memories Pongo” I said. He stared out for a long while. I thought he’d forgotten I was there. “Aye,” he said suddenly, “aye, they’re a great club…the greatest.” I stood and looked with him, this old man whose goals had set the Villa crowds roaring so long ago. It was not quite dusk on that March afternoon and I saw them too…they were out again, the old ghosts…Jack Hughes, scorer just about one hundred years earlier of Aston Villa’s first goal (perhaps to the very day)…George Ramsay…the Hunter brothers…Willie McGregor…Denny Hodgetts…legion upon legion of them on parade now, filling the field with claret and blue…the century with pride.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 10:21:03 PM »

Peter Morris: The First 100 Years.

"Every time you come back here it must bring back memories Pongo” I said. He stared out for a long while. I thought he’d forgotten I was there. “Aye,” he said suddenly, “aye, they’re a great club…the greatest.” I stood and looked with him, this old man whose goals had set the Villa crowds roaring so long ago. It was not quite dusk on that March afternoon and I saw them too…they were out again, the old ghosts…Jack Hughes, scorer just about one hundred years earlier of Aston Villa’s first goal (perhaps to the very day)…George Ramsay…the Hunter brothers…Willie McGregor…Denny Hodgetts…legion upon legion of them on parade now, filling the field with claret and blue…the century with pride.

The greatest paragraph ever written about any football club.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 03:03:11 AM »
Amen to that. Cheers PWS.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 09:57:21 PM »
I bought, or at least I hope I bought the Peter Morris book on Amazon today. The title just states "Aston Villa" with an accompanying picture, see below. For anyone who has the book in question, does it look anything like this admittedly crappy picture? I figured for less than a tenner it was worth the gamble. Hope it's not falling to bits...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal