collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Children of the Revolution book  (Read 15287 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Children of the Revolution book
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 11:29:42 PM »
The original is Naldrett Press, 100 Years was published by Villa. The latter has "First published 1960 by" at the front. 

100 Years in 1960? I think you meant former.

No, the 1974 edition says it was first published in 1960, which shows that it was an updated version rather than an entirely new book.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 11:30:29 PM »
Ah got you.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:47 PM »
It also solves a mystery that I didn't grasp when i first read 100 Years. It talks about "living memory" with regards to Villa's formation, which would be impossible for something a century old, but just about possible for 86 years from 1960.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:32:01 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 11:38:39 PM »
While we are on the subject of history, the other day I watched a documentary about the influence of religion on football and the first episode (the only episode I bothered to watch) was about Villa.

Was decent enough, not particularly preachy.

What I was surprised about was the presenter's claim that, during our first game (or even games, not sure), we were called Aston Villa Wesleyan Football Club. Never heard that before and always thought that we had never changed our name. Is he right?

Documentary was on Amazon Prime and called "Thank God For Football" if anyone else is interested, BTW.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 11:43:08 PM »
While we are on the subject of history, the other day I watched a documentary about the influence of religion on football and the first episode (the only episode I bothered to watch) was about Villa.

What I was surprised about was the presenter's claim that, during our first game (or even games, not sure), we were called Aston Villa Wesleyan Football Club. Never heard that before and always thought that we had never changed our name. Is he right?

Documentary was on Amazon Prime and called "Thank God For Football" if anyone else is interested, BTW.

If it was Peter Lupson he's usually right about most things but whenever I've met him he never said that.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 11:56:10 PM »
Yep, it was him just checked.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2019, 12:02:35 AM »
I got to know him during the McGregor grave renovations but he never mentioned that and I've never seen it before.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »

Woman on the stadium tour said that yesterday I’d never heard of it before either

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2019, 08:30:10 AM »
And our Club Anthem was Underneath the Lamplight.
Not a lot of people know that.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2019, 11:17:59 AM »

Woman on the stadium tour said that yesterday I’d never heard of it before either

If it's the same woman I had, she comes out with some very nice but totally untrue stories. Did you hear the one about the Holte End being so-called because it was a condition of buying the Lower Grounds?

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
Would there be any record of that anywhere though? Old copies of newspapers? Surely all of that has been trawled before?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2019, 11:41:32 AM »
Would there be any record of that anywhere though? Old copies of newspapers? Surely all of that has been trawled before?

A lot of old history seems to be sprouting up lately that nobody had managed to find before. Most of it is bollocks.

Offline MorrisNielson

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2019, 11:01:02 PM »
For what its worth, there was an Aston Villa Wesleyan Football Club.
They played in the Aston & District League in the 1890s and were still knocking about in the 1920s.
It seems unlikely that there would be 2 versions of them.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2019, 11:10:45 PM »
Not sure about that. There have been at least two Clydes and two Crystal Palaces, off the top of my head. So not impossible teams would have the same name.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »

If it's the same woman I had, she comes out with some very nice but totally untrue stories. Did you hear the one about the Holte End being so-called because it was a condition of buying the Lower Grounds?

can’t recall mate she had being doing it 15 years

she’d seen 10 managers whilst working there I asked her who was the best behind the scenes
said didn’t really get to know them but Gerard Houlier was her favourite always had time for everyone and MON could be a bit of a mardy arse

who’d have thought
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:39:45 AM by john e »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal