collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 151649 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1605 on: December 15, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
loo
No goals in nine games, and two attempts on goal in the last three games.  He makes Heskey look like Alan Shearer.

He is painful to watch at times. I thought that the worst player for ability to control a ball in my time as a Villa fan was Earl Barrett but Wes is pushing him close.

In a relentless league I can think of only Newcastle in Joelinton that have a main striker who is equally out of his depth.

Worryingly the 3 teams below us have Ings, Pukki and Deeney....
Interestingly, Potatohead started both Joelinton and Carroll yesterday; presumably to avoid the embarrassment of dropping the former; or, at least, gving him more support up front.
I'd favour a second striker for us, in front of a 4-man midfield.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #1606 on: December 15, 2019, 03:32:55 PM »
Sometimes with forwards you think they'll get a goal and go on a run. Not with Wesley, he isn't even looking like scoring, that's the real worry. Not signing a backup is looking like an act of negligence.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1607 on: December 15, 2019, 03:36:22 PM »
He doesn’t shoot. He doesn’t get in positions where shooting is even an option. Surely that must be something they stress to him in training? And this lumping the ball up to him is absolutely useless. If Steve Bruce was doing it we’d be annoyed but none of us thought it would be a Dean Smith tactic. All the footage we saw of Brentford, high press, beautifully working the ball between players and the off the ball running and now we precisely the opposite of that. Of course it’s a higher level but the principles should be the same irrespective of the standard of opponent.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1608 on: December 15, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »
He doesn’t shoot. He doesn’t get in positions where shooting is even an option. Surely that must be something they stress to him in training? And this lumping the ball up to him is absolutely useless. If Steve Bruce was doing it we’d be annoyed but none of us thought it would be a Dean Smith tactic. All the footage we saw of Brentford, high press, beautifully working the ball between players and the off the ball running and now we precisely the opposite of that. Of course it’s a higher level but the principles should be the same irrespective of the standard of opponent.

We're too slow moving the ball on. 1-2 players who hold on to possession is fine but 7-8 players who take 2-3 touches and have to look around for a pass means the opposition can always get players behind the ball and close any gaps we open up.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1609 on: December 15, 2019, 11:25:30 PM »
The problem is he’s so far away from anyone else on the pitch he’s giving up the ghost before even attempting runs. We really need someone to play off him, otherwise it’ll just get worse.  Were we ever in for Maupay? He seems like the ideal foil to Wes for me. Hey ho.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 31.12.2020
« Reply #1610 on: December 15, 2019, 11:58:22 PM »
If Wesley is to be of any use we have to play two up top, to continue for this long with something that is not working is not a good sign.

Offline Bobby Boy

« Reply #1611 on: December 16, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »
If Wesley is to be of any use we have to play two up top, to continue for this long with something that is not working is not a good sign.

You are right and folk have been saying for weeks that despite Wes's limitations he also needs help. However Dean Smith seems to be wedded to this system with one man up top being his preferred way of playing.

So a dogmatic insistence on one way of playing allied with a striker without the attributes to make said system work is never going to end well.

Offline Vill I An

• Hope we stay Premier league !
« Reply #1612 on: December 16, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »
In all honesty if Wes starts tomorrow he's very capable to scroe 2 or 3 .
Against undeveloped players who are not going to handle his physical size I think he could enjoy himself.
Also I think he may generally be better in evening matches but perhaps more or Friday , Saturday or Sunday nights than midweek.

I think Tuesday night could be a Wesley party .
Show us what he's made of against lower opposition.
He did against Walsall and against Norwich the defence he's up against won't be much better and far less experienced.

Go on Wes
Kinda of expect Kodjia to play though!

Online AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1613 on: December 16, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
In all honesty if Wes starts tomorrow he's very capable to scroe 2 or 3 .
Against undeveloped players who are not going to handle his physical size I think he could enjoy himself.

Also I think he may generally be better in evening matches but perhaps more or Friday , Saturday or Sunday nights than midweek.

I think Tuesday night could be a Wesley party .
Show us what he's made of against lower opposition.
He did against Walsall and against Norwich the defence he's up against won't be much better and far less experienced.

Go on Wes
Kinda of expect Kodjia to play though!

Undeveloped players are about his level alright.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #1614 on: December 16, 2019, 06:06:31 PM »

We're too slow moving the ball on. 1-2 players who hold on to possession is fine but 7-8 players who take 2-3 touches and have to look around for a pass means the opposition can always get players behind the ball and close any gaps we open up.
Spot on.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1615 on: December 16, 2019, 06:14:20 PM »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #1616 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:30 PM »
Glad he got a goal. I hope that gives him a bit of confidence.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #1617 on: December 17, 2019, 09:46:03 PM »
It was a nice finish.  Hopefully, he gets a glut of goals.  Looks a miserable fecker, even when he scores.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1618 on: December 17, 2019, 09:47:50 PM »
Do we start him the weekend and hope this is the confidence boost that he needs to push on.

Or

Do we bench Wesley for Kodjia, potentially deflating him after this potential boost in confidence?

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #1619 on: December 17, 2019, 09:52:01 PM »
Or given the little Jota did can we play two up front?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal