collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Pepe Reina by Vill I An
[Today at 12:56:02 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:54:26 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by jwarry
[Today at 12:49:48 PM]

Re: Mbwana Samatta. Puns banned. by Vill I An
[Today at 12:43:06 PM]

Re: Pepe Reina by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:42:30 PM]

Re: Winter transfer, gossip, speculation and usual butter ollocks thread by Vill I An
[Today at 12:38:46 PM]

Re: Sir Graham Taylor by Vill I An
[Today at 12:35:58 PM]

Re: Sir Graham Taylor by Vill I An
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 123745 times)

Offline JB1811

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1560 on: December 10, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
I do think that the service we give Wes (or any other player) in the box is very poor.  Last year Tammy scored a lot, but needed a few chances to score, Wesley just isn't getting the chances.  We very rarely put a decent cross into the box, it either doesn't beat the 1st man, or sails way past the back post.

Offline curiousorange

« Reply #1561 on: December 10, 2019, 08:26:50 PM »
I know YouTube compilations can be used to show whatever you want, but over the last couple of days the one of Wesley during his Bruges days has been doing the rounds again. Even leaving aside the drag factor of the Belgian league, it's clear the guy can move and does have some measure of control, even if he's not got the greatest finesse. A confident player who's getting it played into feet would be a different proposition entirely.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1562 on: December 10, 2019, 08:34:14 PM »
I do think that the service we give Wes (or any other player) in the box is very poor.  Last year Tammy scored a lot, but needed a few chances to score, Wesley just isn't getting the chances.  We very rarely put a decent cross into the box, it either doesn't beat the 1st man, or sails way past the back post.

Yeah but how does that explain things like, when we break, him chuntering forward like me the day after 10 pints and a curry?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1563 on: December 10, 2019, 09:19:05 PM »

Yeah but how does that explain things like, when we break, him chuntering forward like me the day after 10 pints and a curry?

Maybe someone need to look at his recreational habits the day before matches?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #1564 on: December 10, 2019, 09:47:24 PM »

Wes is rarely in the box anyway, the problem is he doesnt look a threat nor look like getting onto the end of anything. Trez or AEG when they cut inside look far more threatening.

Tammy, even when playing poorly at times, looked like scoring in nearly every game last season. He would score a load of goals in our team with two much better attacking full backs, Grealish, McGinn, AEG, Hourihane supporting him. Any competent centre forward would.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1565 on: December 10, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »
Rarely in the box is the bit that bothers me the most because the few occasions he has got in the box hes looked decent. Goals vs Arsenal and Norwich were very instinctive. Hes got the size and he should be making a lot more of that advantage he has over many defenders. And I still cant believe how horrendous he is in the air. Like hes scared or something.

Online Villafirst

« Reply #1566 on: December 10, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »
I'd rather have Lewis Grabban upfront than Wesley. He was great for that spell with us on loan. Certainly be a lot cheaper!

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #1567 on: December 11, 2019, 08:21:09 AM »
I'd rather have Lewis Grabban upfront than Wesley. He was great for that spell with us on loan. Certainly be a lot cheaper!

And more cheerful.  Which is saying something, since Grabban's a bit of a miserable so and so!

Online postal

« Reply #1568 on: December 11, 2019, 08:22:30 AM »

You want to be careful saying that - I got bashed for suggesting him - a player who knows where the goal is and makes an effort to get to the ball.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #1569 on: December 11, 2019, 09:16:08 AM »
Scott Hogan , who is still on villa books, said he didn't enjoy being at villa one bit , felt he didn't fit in and was guilty of losing some of the hunger for football.

Now if The Villa get in a striker or 2 , and Wes starts to fall down the pecking order , the concern would be how much desire he has .
Mans earning a decent wage so it's what pride he has to develop.
If he's out the team how much 'where with all' and what attitude does he possess to compete for his place.
Also him recognizing that he is part of the squad. Ideally we like to see this summer signing the main guy and focal point of attack but how longer can we persist.

Bringing a big money or big name signing can go one of two ways for Wesley.
He can learn , develop and compete with new signing or may even play alongside.

Or Wes falls by the way side, starts to be 'unavailable' for matches and just collect a wage as he has a contract to 2024 and simply rest on his laurels.

It was a real gamble of an investment signing him in the summer and if it doesn't work out hopefully something is learnt. Even if he does improvement another striker in one of the next 2 windows is super necessary.
Preferably a striker comes this window Preferably someone who is capable in premier league level
Or preferably someone who has already settled in England/experienced and has shown a goal scoring ability.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #1570 on: December 11, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
I don't think his attitude is the problem, he's just very shit.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1571 on: December 11, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »

You want to be careful saying that - I got bashed for suggesting him - a player who knows where the goal is and makes an effort to get to the ball.

You got that because you're calling a guy with 1 goal in 24 premier league appearances as a better option to score goals than one nearly 10 years younger who has 4 in 15.

Online postal

« Reply #1572 on: December 11, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »

You got that because you're calling a guy with 1 goal in 24 premier league appearances as a better option to score goals than one nearly 10 years younger who has 4 in 15.

Okay he hasnt scored at Prem. level.... but he still knows where the goal is and how to attack the ball when it goes forward, and make things happen.
Which is still more than Wesley, so would bring more to the team and might have more confidence in such a player.
Its that (or similar player) a better option?
If you have more confidence in Wesley and what minimal he seems to bring to the team, good for you, but for me, Wesley is a liability.

So what how would you fix it? Continue with a 22M signing because of the price tag?

At least some of the others on here have suggested the "fake" #9 which is a workable idea/ option.

Bash me if you want, but come up with an option.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 10:49:29 AM by postal »

Online ChicagoLion

« Reply #1573 on: December 11, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »
That wont get many votes postal.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1574 on: December 11, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »
Confidence in Wesley doesn't come into it and nor does the price tag. The simple fact is that Grabban isn't good enough for the premier league, whatever you think of Wesley doesn't change that, signing someone who's shit at this level will never be a good solution.

I'd like us to move Kodjia on (because Smith clearly doesn't rate him) and get a replacement, in the 'potentially available and knows the league' category the only viable option I see is Batshuayi so I'd be very happy with him either permanently or on loan (preferably with a fee agreed for the summer). If we don't go for him then I certainly wouldn't look at the likes of Grabban or Mitrovic.