collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 123682 times)

Offline Vill I An

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #1425 on: December 05, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
I get that he needs time to gel etc but what I really dislike about him is how easily he goes down.  He's a big unit that should be able to handle a bit of physicality.

I immediately thought of AJ from boxing. And how he handled fight v Ruiz. He couldn't handle it either .
Be interesting the rematch on the weekend.

Online themossman

• GM : 14.02.2018
« Reply #1426 on: December 05, 2019, 06:48:02 PM »
I actually think his problem is consistency more than ability.

The truth is there are games where he does exactly what hes there for, and very effectively (accepting hes never going to a big goal threat and his thing is holding the ball up and facilitating others). But there are also games where he doesnt do that stuff well at all and then it doesnt help that hes not getting a jammy goal here and there to paper over the cracks.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 28.06.2019
« Reply #1427 on: December 05, 2019, 06:56:44 PM »
If AEG was fit, I wonder could we try him up front for a couple of games?
My thinking is play a false 9. Either AEG or Trezeguet. Get some movement. Because we're reasonably effective at getting midfield runners beyond the front man (AEG, Jack, Hourihane and Trez all have goals in them. SJM too). Wesley isn't doing anything at the moment, so we might as well have someone dropping off to face the defence and offer some guile and mobility.

I'm not sure it's entirely down to Wes either, as our set up doesn't seem to suit a target man. He's certainly not doing enough and he makes everything look like it's difficult. Deano needs a new plan, Wesley whether he's good enough or not (if I'm being brutally honest I just don't see him making it in the Prem) needs a break.

Davis is far and away our best front man (to play Smiths style). That says a lot.

Yeah I think it's worth a shot v Leicester. I don't see Wes offering anything currently so maybe AEG up front to see how he goes.

I'm in agreement with you re Wes I'm afraid. It's not a confidence issue for me as his previous goals didn't spark any tangible performance improvement. He just seems a really poorly scouted signing, completely ill suited to the role he was bought to perform.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 31.12.2020
« Reply #1428 on: December 06, 2019, 01:56:46 AM »
I've watched him have at least five shots from just outside the box and each one was badly struck and for a big guy I don't think I have seen him get his head to the ball in the opposition box. It's a big problem because his natural replacement is Kodja who would probably be much worse,.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1429 on: December 06, 2019, 06:59:44 AM »
I've watched him have at least five shots from just outside the box and each one was badly struck and for a big guy I don't think I have seen him get his head to the ball in the opposition box. It's a big problem because his natural replacement is Kodja who would probably be much worse,.

We don't know if Kodjia would be 'much worse' because we haven't really seen much of him this season under the current set up although the fact that he didn't even come on the other night when we needed a goal possibly suggests he's off in January.

The false number 9 sounds an interesting idea to be honest.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1430 on: December 06, 2019, 11:43:55 PM »
amid recent criticism fired towards Wesley on social media, the head coach reiterated there's no pressure whatsoever on his front man.

"The pressure is from the outside," Smith explained with an air of annoyance, "its not from Bodymoor Heath or the dressing room. Hes a popular figure, and came here with a lot of potential and promise. Hes still trying to fulfil that potential.

"Villa supporters want to see honest, hard-working players, and hes one of those. Hes likeable in the dressing room but, unfortunately when you get a big price tag on your shoulders, people expect you to score a lot of goals. We wont judge him too early.

"I was getting these questions asked after five or six games, then he scored twice against Norwich and, all of a sudden, hes a snip at 22m, then he goes through a spell of not scoring and suddenly hes 2m. You cant win."

Smith, meanwhile, pointed to the likes of other big-money Premier League strikers who are behind four-goal Wesley in the scoring charts.

"Theres a lot of centre-forwards whove had a lot of money spent on them this season and hes probably scored more than them," he said. "His all round game is not all about goals.

"You hear me talk a lot about expected goals, and were in the top six of expected goal charts. For me, we have to improve defensively."

Smith continued to bat away claims his side need another striker to ease the burden currently placed on Wesley.

"Not really," Smith replied when asked if he could do with another front man, "if you bring someone else in, hes going to want to play. We've brought in a 22m player, and not play him?

"Were quite happy with his performances, hes had some poor games and some really good games. What were looking for is a more consistent level.

"Aerially, in the week, he won 12 out of 15 duels. What hes not doing is getting on the end of crosses, but his all-round game is OK.

"We have a number of games till we get to January, theres no complaints in the dressing room or coaching room, the only thing to add is more goals.

"I envisaged him playing most of the games, Id hoped hed score more goals than hes got. But as long as hes contributing to the team."

As for Wesley, Smith told BirminghamLive that the likes of Ole Gunnar Sjolksjaer and Frank Lampard believe Villa have a real player on their hands.

"I go into the manager's rooms after games, at Man U theyre saying, 'He's a handful.' Frank Lampard said the same at Chelsea. Opposition managers know, the likes of your Lindelhofs, Zoumas, Maguires and Christiansens are having tough games.

"We always want more, but the players trust him and thats the most important thing."

Offline Baldy

« Reply #1431 on: December 07, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »
As per today, outside of the established top 6 (plus Leicester, probably 7th) we are the top scorers in the Premier League. Very acceptable for a newly promoted side.

Scoring goals is not our problem. Wesley's contribution in this regard is massive. It can not just be measured by the amount of goals he scores but also by the disruption he causes to opposing defences and the space he creates for our many attacking midfielders to exploit. Wesley's contribution in defending opposition corners and set pieces should also not go unnoticed.

This is a team sport and as my opening line suggests, Wesley is doing his job. Granted, for the few clear cut chances we create for him, he needs to be more clinical. I am impressed with his development to date and am confident his finishing will improve with a few more games under his belt.

As the League table suggests, our problems lie in defence. The sooner Tyrone 'look at me, I have the ball' Mings gets his head straight again the sooner will we start heading up the league.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1432 on: December 07, 2019, 09:34:37 AM »
As per today, outside of the established top 6 (plus Leicester, probably 7th) we are the top scorers in the Premier League. Very acceptable for a newly promoted side.

Scoring goals is not our problem. Wesley's contribution in this regard is massive. It can not just be measured by the amount of goals he scores but also by the disruption he causes to opposing defences and the space he creates for our many attacking midfielders to exploit. Wesley's contribution in defending opposition corners and set pieces should also not go unnoticed.

This is a team sport and as my opening line suggests, Wesley is doing his job. Granted, for the few clear cut chances we create for him, he needs to be more clinical. I am impressed with his development to date and am confident his finishing will improve with a few more games under his belt.

As the League table suggests, our problems lie in defence. The sooner Tyrone 'look at me, I have the ball' Mings gets his head straight again the sooner will we start heading up the league.

Mings has been guilty of a few clangers but honestly, I have no idea how you can look at our season so far and absolve Wesley whilst blaming our defence for our position.

They've been under intense pressure for long spells in a majority of our games and Wesley is a big part of the reason for that. Failing to hold the ball up and keep possession (or even stay on our feet) in advanced positions invites undue pressure on our defence from a barrage of counter attacks, and that's what Mings and the lads are up against. He might have done better with a few of the mistakes he made but he's also put in much harder shifts than Wesley ever has.

Your analysis is very unfair I'm afraid.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #1433 on: December 07, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »
I don't know what people expect. Get the ball into his feet, even in tight areas, and he's shown umpteen times that he can keep the ball, wriggle between a couple of players, and lay off a good pass of ten or fifteen yards to a well placed colleague. What he's not going to do is become possessed by the spirit of Dublin when it's launched skywards in his direction. I think he's no slouch either, he does know where space is, he can move defenders, and we need to stop aiming for his head.
There's be mention of playing El Ghazi at 9. There's less than an inch between them. Would people expect him to win everything too?

Offline Baldy

« Reply #1434 on: December 07, 2019, 09:58:34 AM »
AsTallasLions, don't be afraid :D

Agreed, Wesley is a 'work in progress' but in my opinion, he has shown enough to merit his place in the team. Top opposition managers have acknowledged he is a 'handful'. The league table doesn't lie!!

It is to early in the season and his career to make him a 'scapegoat' as some posters seem to crave (not your goodself).

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 10:01:26 AM by Baldy »

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #1435 on: December 07, 2019, 10:43:27 AM »
"Not really," Smith replied when asked if he could do with another front man, "if you bring someone else in, hes going to want to play. We've brought in a 22m player, and not play him?"

You didn't worry about not playing a 14m left back earlier in the season Dean.  Not sure that a player's price tag should have any bearing at all on whether he gets a game or not to be honest, we didn't let it affect decision making with Ross McCormack or Scott Hogan.

Worrying comments, if we go into the second half of the season relying on Wesley, we're going to be in that relegation battle all season I fear.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1436 on: December 07, 2019, 11:38:06 AM »
Interesting to note Smith's observations that he wants to improve his goal return by him getting on the end of more crosses but that overall he's happy with him, citing that he has more goals than a lot of other strikers. I know it's a manager's job to back his players in public but I hope Dean and Suso have been putting together a list of attackers we can try and sign in January.
Wesley is still raw and using our first season back up as a learning ground for the same striker every week is playing with fire.

Footy posted a stat about him fouling three times more than being fouled. A lot of those are close decisions based on tussles where he's losing out to defenders who are a bit cuter at winning free kicks in 50/50s. JT has a role to play there and advise him on how to win more of those and control his temperament. I think if Wes was managed by Sean Dyche, he'd have him being a niggly fucker who wins far more challenges and free kicks than he gives away.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #1437 on: December 07, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »
Interesting to note Smith's observations that he wants to improve his goal return by him getting on the end of more crosses but that overall he's happy with him, citing that he has more goals than a lot of other strikers. I know it's a manager's job to back his players in public but I hope Dean and Suso have been putting together a list of attackers we can try and sign in January.
Wesley is still raw and using our first season back up as a learning ground for the same striker every week is playing with fire.

Footy posted a stat about him fouling three times more than being fouled. A lot of those are close decisions based on tussles where he's losing out to defenders who are a bit cuter at winning free kicks in 50/50s. JT has a role to play there and advise him on how to win more of those and control his temperament. I think if Wes was managed by Sean Dyche, he'd have him being a niggly fucker who wins far more challenges and free kicks than he gives away.
That's the point though: he is still learning, and I take your point about 'learning ground' but - as Baldy says - we're 8th in the goals-scored league. We've got to stop letting in soft goals - like those scored by Abraham, Heaton's OG, Neves recently.I don't think we're strong enough in the air defensively and I think we allow too many crosses into the box.

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #1438 on: December 07, 2019, 12:19:32 PM »
Giving Grealish a Shadow Striker role would probably free up more space for him.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1439 on: December 07, 2019, 12:56:33 PM »
I agree with everything Dean says apart from not needing another striker but hes going to say that isnt he? What good would it serve to the club, the fans and particularly Wesley to say Yes, were going to be looking to sign another striker in January. The price goes up, the fans expect and Wesley gets disheartened with god knows how many games to play between now and the end of January.