collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 51099 times)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 09.08.2019
Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #615 on: August 17, 2019, 11:49:45 PM »
I appreciate it’s stating the bleeding obvious but the lad needs a goal. Confidence is everything with strikers and he needs to know he belongs in this league.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #616 on: August 18, 2019, 01:00:32 AM »
He's got some ability, but he looks like he need to be gradually introduced to the Premier League.  Which we can't do as we neglected to buy any other forwards.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #617 on: August 18, 2019, 01:33:11 AM »
It's way too early to write him off, but it was majorly pissing me off today when he either jogged to close down their keeper or didn't bother at all. What happened to the much-vaunted Dean Smith press ?

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #618 on: August 18, 2019, 01:36:12 AM »
It's way too early to write him off, but it was majorly pissing me off today when he either jogged to close down their keeper or didn't bother at all. What happened to the much-vaunted Dean Smith press ?

Dunno. Struggling to see what in his game made the management team think he’d be suitable.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2020
« Reply #619 on: August 18, 2019, 02:23:09 AM »
The lad is a bit of a unit
Ace. I just need 'He'll be better after a full pre-season' for a full house. Come on! ;-)

You okay today love? Why bother pull up that post when it’s no different to what many said when we signed him.
I deeply apologise for gently ribbing you about football clichés. I thought the winky emoticon would show it was a harmless bit of fun.

You might want to take a vitamin supplement to thicken that skin.

This coming from one of the most pedantic people on here. The depth of my skin is just fine BE. You decided to pick up on a post today that was from 2 months ago. Don’t you have punctuation or grammar to correct somewhere?
Sorry, just realised that I quoted a post from page 1 of the thread. I honestly thought it was posted tonight.

As for corrections. Nope, still enjoying my two months off work.

Mate don’t worry about it. All good.

Offline KRS

« Reply #620 on: August 18, 2019, 03:29:00 AM »
What annoyed me today was that as our lone striker, he wasn’t even taking up positions in the box when we were building down the wings so they had absolutely no one to cross to. I recall being concerned about signing him when someone on here said that his game was more of dropping deep, so if we’re expecting him to be the dynamic goal scoring machine then I think we’ve bought the wrong type of player.

Another thing that pissed me off was that we’re playing with 2 wingers...both of which either couldn’t or refused to beat their fullbacks, and neither put in any decent crosses. There’s no point playing with 2 wingers if they can’t do what wingers are supposed to do, so if they can’t do it then Dean needs to change the system.

At the end of the day, he’s not going to score goals without the right kind of service and if he’s not putting himself in the right positions, so Dean and the staff need to start drilling the front 5 hard this week before it becomes a real problem.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:32:31 AM by KRS »

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #621 on: August 18, 2019, 07:56:16 AM »
Thought Wes looked better yesterday, holding the ball up well. He struggled in the box given the poor service from out wide. Most of our crosses would not even worry a vampire let alone their goalkeeper.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:58:08 AM by Border villan »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2020
« Reply #622 on: August 18, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
Thought Wes looked better yesterday, holding the ball up well. He struggled in the box given the poor service from out wide. Most of our crosses would not even worry a vampire let alone their goalkeeper.
Agreed.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #623 on: August 18, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
What annoyed me today was that as our lone striker, he wasn’t even taking up positions in the box when we were building down the wings so they had absolutely no one to cross to. I recall being concerned about signing him when someone on here said that his game was more of dropping deep, so if we’re expecting him to be the dynamic goal scoring machine then I think we’ve bought the wrong type of player.

Another thing that pissed me off was that we’re playing with 2 wingers...both of which either couldn’t or refused to beat their fullbacks, and neither put in any decent crosses. There’s no point playing with 2 wingers if they can’t do what wingers are supposed to do, so if they can’t do it then Dean needs to change the system.

At the end of the day, he’s not going to score goals without the right kind of service and if he’s not putting himself in the right positions, so Dean and the staff need to start drilling the front 5 hard this week before it becomes a real problem.

They're not supposed to be playing as 'head down, get to the line and cross wingers' so you're not judging them on what they're being asked to do. Trez mostly did what we want from him today, he drifted in field made a few chances and got a few efforts on goal. AEG didn't do as well, and was replaced.

The problem is that if you want wingers to cut inside then you need the fullbacks to get up the pitch and provide more width. Elmo was 20-30 yards too deep and Taylor just isn't good enough in the final 3rd. I know neither of them played badly but they just not right for how we should be playing with the squad we have.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #624 on: August 18, 2019, 08:52:07 AM »
Dean has to play Targett and Fred next time out. As for Wes - well he may or may not thrive long term - look at Joelinton at Newcastle, twice the price and not in the least impressive so far. And the corollary to that is Pukki, a freebie who is a natural goalscorer.

Offline AV82EC

« Reply #625 on: August 18, 2019, 09:45:29 AM »
Was impressed with Wes yesterday. With the ball at his feet he looks dangerous, link up play in general looked good, some lovely touches to create space for himself in and around the box. Finishing he needs to keep working at and sometimes he needs to be better at holding the ball up. All in all I like him.

Online Fred Crump

« Reply #626 on: August 18, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »
Good to hear some positive reports of Wes as well as the concerns.  A lot depends on him, although we must be patient and not expect too much of him too soon. It’s a shame we couldn’t have got Benrama from Brentford as he would have chipped in with more goals I think , but hey, Rome ( or Aston) wasn’t built in a day.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2019
« Reply #627 on: August 18, 2019, 10:20:05 AM »
He needs to be loved, no matter what.

He's picked the wrong profession then.

He really hasn’t. The Holte End singing his name at the top of their voice is a good start. New to the league, new to the country, complete change of scenery and culture. Needs time and our appreciation.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #628 on: August 18, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
that applies to two thirds of the players in the league though.

Offline boutrosboutrosgnarly

« Reply #629 on: August 18, 2019, 11:48:40 AM »
He needs to be loved, no matter what.

He's picked the wrong profession then.

He really hasn’t. The Holte End singing his name at the top of their voice is a good start. New to the league, new to the country, complete change of scenery and culture. Needs time and our appreciation.
Seems (as ever) some people have already made up their minds.Seen enough players with inauspicious starts to their Villa careers that came good to know that 180 minutes is too soon to judge either way.