collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 47647 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Wesley Moraes - signed, subject to work permit
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2019, 09:54:29 AM »
This is very exciting transfer and whilst I am really pleased I'm also very nervous.  It's the first real test of our recruitment team and it is a big gamble of what I presume is a significant proportion of our transfer budget on a relatively unknown player.

This is the sort of transfer that would be a lot less risky when your're bring the player into a settled PL squad and you can afford to integrate them slowly.  In our position it feels like a punchy move relying on a youngster new to the league when we are likely to be fighting for our lives to stay up.  I think Maupay would have been a safer option.

Hopefully he'll be brilliant, but I also hope we have a contingency plans just in case he struggles to get up to speed.

With that said, welcome Wesley - really excited to see what you can do.

Watford and Richarlison?
Yep, he turned out to be a good buy and hopefully Wesley will too.  But Watford were in their 3rd season in the PL and he was 11m, so they could prob afford to carry the risk. 

I'm not saying I think Wesley won't be a good signing, I just think it's a risky punt in our position.

It's undoubtedly a risky punt. But I imagine, on the basis of whatever shortlist Suso / Smith drew up together, he was the best remaining option. I'm sure we enquired about Abraham and were strongly rebuffed as they won't sell anyone else now that Hazard is gone and they can't buy. I'd imagine we also made noises where Maupay is concerned, but Brentford probably slapped a 30m+ price tag on him. The next option based on our scouting etc was likely Wesley.

I'm sure there are better options out there, but in an inflated market it's very very hard to find them without spending even more money. I trust Smith. I doubt he'd have given this the green light unless he was impressed.

Online JD

• GM : 11.01.2020
« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »
I'm really excited about this signing. Reading the transfer thread a while ago someone mentioned resigning Benteke and someone else (can't remember who but kudos to you) said that we should sign the new Benteke.
It looks like that's what we've done. I can't wait to see this young man play and I am sure he will get better and better.
We look like we mean business, it's a great feeling  8).

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2019, 10:26:42 AM »
Not prolific but looks like a very good young player, voted best young player in the Belgian league last season. He looks like an ideal player to play in that central role because he can hold the ball up, bring others into it and score opportunistic goals. I grew increasingly concerned watching Abraham that he was totally incapable of this, although his goal-scoring record couldn't have been much better to be fair. Wesley on the other hand looks big, strong and pretty quick, similar to the two best strikers we've had in the past 15 years Carew and Benteke.
Lets hope he's as good, and if we can get a top quality right sided attacker playing off him with Grealish in behind and El Ghazi on the left it could be a good attacking unit.

Offline nigel

« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »
For what it's worth I think he will struggle in the prem as hes a bit slow and prem defenders are much better than pro league players but 10 goals this season would be a success in my eyes with an eye for 15 ish in his second season.
So with that in mind I think we need a proven goal scorer also to take the pressure off

Their supporters think he's quick

https://www.facebook.com/274260099355971/posts/2262294173885877/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:50:58 AM by nigel »

Offline Small Rodent

• Music4Children
  • GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
Dutch league may be different to the Premier League, but hes had six big games in the Champions League against Monaco, Dortmund and Atletico Madrid, scoring twice. Hes got a few high pressure games under his wing.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 15.06.2020
« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2019, 10:52:39 AM »
Well don't know anything about him so posed the question on another forum:

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/wesley-moraes.448306/#post-24273392

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2019, 11:01:41 AM »
Fingers crossed hes another Benteke ( Villa not Palace version obviously)

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »

You've racked up 7.5K posts on a Man U forum?!

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : 31.12.2019
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2019, 11:07:02 AM »

You've racked up 7.5K posts on a Man U forum?!

In less than two years.

Offline darren woolley

« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »
I don't know much about him to be honest but I trust Dean Smith so Welcome to Aston Villa Wesley

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 09.02.2020
« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2019, 06:28:53 PM »
Apologies if Ive missed it but when is the work permit decision expected?

Offline Dribbler

« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2019, 09:54:52 PM »
It could be argued that the first real test of our recruitment team was to shore up our fragile defence, and they came through that with flying colours.
It could be argued, but I'd disagree.  Picking up defenders familiar with English football and the Championship is entirely different.  Deano was clearly familiar with Mings and Hause and I imagine he was involved in identifying & recruiting them.  I suspect he'd never heard of Wesley.

It could be argued, because factually that's what happened. Your argument is peppered with phrases such as "i imagine" and "i suspect", which about sums it up, but i think most people would probably prefer to stick with the clear facts. You of course can disagree with the facts, but factually it doesn't make much difference.

Plus "Picking up defenders familiar with English football and the Championship" isn't entirely different at all, identifying weaknesses in the squad and identifying and recruiting the right players (of skill, hunger, attitude etc) you need for that moment and to build the squad for the future is the key underlying skill here, and that plays across any league. So far they've done a brilliant job.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2019, 10:32:32 PM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:34:34 PM by adrenachrome »

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »

Offline algy

« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »
I know they're not popular, but i love a half and half scarf me. But only bizarre ones. have a small collection of: TNS & Legia Warsaw; Connah's Quay Nomads & Ross County; and prize possession Queens Park & SG Wattenshied, from Scottish League 2 and the German 4th division respectively.

Plus my old Villa/Celtic hat from the 1980s.