collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)  (Read 95216 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2020
Re: Wesley Moraes - signed (confirmed)
« Reply #660 on: August 20, 2019, 11:19:02 PM »
From his recent comments I think AEG knows that. For all our players who in almost all cases have stepped up a league it has dawned on them just how hard this is. Losing early and learning from it isn’t always the worst thing.

Online danno

« Reply #661 on: August 22, 2019, 02:28:23 PM »
I remember not being overly worried about Benteke when he joined oddly because of the fact he was missing chances. He kept getting into good positions and I was convinced he'd come good.

With Wes some of his hold up play has looked decent and he put it on a plate for Trezegeut in the last game, but I've not really seen a proper chance fall to him that I've felt he should be scoring.

That is mildly concerning.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #662 on: August 23, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »
Wesley has not had an opportunity in where he's expected to score.
He has not had any big chances where he's even shot let a lone missed .

There is little indication of any goal threat at this moment, mere glimpses of his attributes in his overall play.

Wesley in 90 minutes at home to Bournemouth
From 48 touches of the ball
And 8 penalty area touches
He had 3 shots , 2 headers on target
Of the 26 times Wesley received the ball he lost possession or was tackled on 10 occasions.
He created 1 great chance by taking on a defender.
And as danno said , put the 'ball on a plate' for Trezeguet. (who is expected to score)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:21:06 AM by Vill I An »

Online hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #663 on: August 23, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »
From today's Graun: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/aug/22/aston-villa-dean-smith-wesley

"To really offend people around Villa Park, just say the F word. After spending at least £127m on 12 players following promotion to the Premier League, Aston Villa fans get annoyed at accusations that their club are “doing a Fulham”, who splurged heavily last season only to flop out of the league with a whimper.

Villa have lost their first two matches and know that losing at home against Everton on Friday night would increase the heckling. The only way to make it stop is to start winning.

Dean Smith is not worried. He says he saw enough in the defeats by Tottenham and Bournemouth to suggest his team are coming together and will turn encouraging performances into positive results. He scoffs at suggestions that one player – the record signing Wesley – is under particular pressure to prove his worth. But the 22-year-old, signed from Club Brugge for £22m, carries a heavy burden, being the only forward capable of leading the line in the way Villa need. How capable? That is already a matter of debate even if the evidence is skimpy.

“What are we coming to if we’re judging players after two games?” asks an exasperated Smith. “There have been questions about him playing in the Premier League but he played in the Champions League last season – he’s not too shabby.

“He’s settled straight away. I can see that every day in training. He’s shown potential in his performances so far and that potential will come through.”

Smith says that although the player is yet to score for Villa, he has demonstrated other qualities. “There’s certainly no frustration with Wesley from me and his teammates. He showed me enough in pre-season to show me he’s going to be a top player. He never hides away from the ball, he goes and competes. He’ll get better and better. He hasn’t had an awful lot of chances so far but I’ll probably name you 14 clubs’ centre-forwards who won’t get a chance at Tottenham.

“He has created chances for a few of the players. He drew two centre-halves to him against Tottenham for John McGinn to get in and get the first goal in the Premier League for us. He set up Trezeguet and Neil Taylor [against Bournemouth]. He brings other people into play. He’s two games into a season and one goal behind Mo Salah at the moment. I’m not judging centre-forwards this early in the season.”

Some of the doubts about Wesley may come from the fact he can look cumbersome when running but that is a deceptive consequence of having one leg nearly 3cm shorter than the other, a feature that initially drew comments at his previous clubs before his performances convinced people to disregard it. The other quibble is that he has not yet proven he is as strong in possession as his size suggests he should be but that must be balanced against the fact that Villa have not been very quick to get support up to him.

McGinn has been the most frequent beneficiary while the wide players, Trezeguet and especially Anwar El Ghazi, have not yet dovetailed with the central striker consistently enough.

Jack Grealish, meanwhile, has operated mostly in a deeper role than last season, so has not been able to support attacks as much. These may be understandable growing pains for a new team in a new league. If so, Villa need to overcome them quickly. Smith says they are on the right track.

“I think our most likely goalscorer at the moment has looked like it’s going to be John McGinn,” says Smith. “He’s made some really deep runs into the opposition half. Saying that, Jack Grealish had a really good chance last week, Wesley teed up Trezeguet for a good chance. Neil Taylor even got in the opposition box last week and had two chances. So we’re creating chances, we just need to start taking them. I’m sure [the goals] will come.”

They will not come easily against Everton, whose previously leaky defence proves the theory that time plus good coaching equals improvement. Marco Silva’s side have conceded in only one of their past 10 matches. If Villa became the first to score against them this season there would be a surge of optimism, especially if the goal came from Wesley."

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #664 on: August 23, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »
Hopefully he starts to come good, starting tonight.  Still think it's madness leaving the club so short in the striker department when the rest of the business was so good.

Online Nev

« Reply #665 on: August 23, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
Hopefully he starts to come good, starting tonight.  Still think it's madness leaving the club so short in the striker department when the rest of the business was so good.

So do I, and we were all quick to criticise Bruce for his decision to leave the defence so exposed last season we need to be consistent. The caveat of course is that we do have goals in midfield so I hope the players repay Dean's faith, either way we'll be buying a striker come the turn of the year.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #666 on: August 23, 2019, 10:07:57 AM »

So do I, and we were all quick to criticise Bruce for his decision to leave the defence so exposed last season we need to be consistent. The caveat of course is that we do have goals in midfield so I hope the players repay Dean's faith, either way we'll be buying a striker come the turn of the year.

Not really the same thing for me Nev, we have 7 players competing for 4 positions in attack. I think once the transfer window was shut last season we had 3 players for 2 positions at centre half, one of which was a central midfielder that looked out of place there and one was a loanee who had previously played right back for us.
I must admit, my early thoughts are that 3-4 of those attacking players are going to struggle but at least the players are there. Might need to bring someone in January unless we see improvements in a few of them though.

Offline mallo

« Reply #667 on: August 23, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »
All he can do is keep trying - it's not his fault we don't have credible alternatives. I don't think he'll score tonight but if his performances keep getting better that's enough for now. Want to see him score against Palace though.

Offline lukey27

« Reply #668 on: August 23, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »
For me, he's looked a lot better facing goal with the ball at his feet. Back to goal it's been very hit and miss so far, touch not great and has given away possession a number of times. But when it's rolled into him and he can turn you can see the player there. He grew into the game last week and when the alternatives are Davis and Kodjia, Wesley will start if he's fit.

I'm inclined to think he'll come good, but it's very early days to be calling it either way.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 18.07.2017
« Reply #669 on: August 23, 2019, 10:32:08 AM »

It is risky but if we couldn’t get the right player it was surely better to wait and not get lumbered with a short term fix. We’ve had too many in the past that we are stuck with who then don’t play.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 09.02.2020
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »
Hat trick tonight please Wes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 13.02.2020
« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »

It is risky but if we couldn’t get the right player it was surely better to wait and not get lumbered with a short term fix. We’ve had too many in the past that we are stuck with who then don’t play.

I agree we shouldn't just buy for the sake of it, but I'm really surprised we didn't go for Maupay.  I reckon he'd have fitted in really well, and could play the Wesley role, or one of the support roles like El Ghazi or Trez.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #672 on: August 23, 2019, 03:08:36 PM »
Wesley was recommended to Smith rather than Smith requesting .
 Deano can coach this raw talent let's hope he starts getting the chances

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 20.07.2020
« Reply #673 on: August 23, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
here's to big Wes to bagging one or three tonight :)

UTV
The Doc

Online GarTomas

« Reply #674 on: August 23, 2019, 06:37:55 PM »
Just because he’s a big player doesn’t mean his strength is as a traditional target man.  Benteke always looked better when that ball was played into his feet rather than his head and I think the same for Wesley.

Also think when he drops deeper that will help us get higher up the pitch with players running past him.